Soda price increase at all locations throughout the Magic Kingdom

Tomi-Rocket

The increase makes the price comparable to our local restaurants now. I'm surprised they were that low for so long. Not that I'm happy, I'm just not surprised. :shrug:

Captain Chaos

Looks like an extra 40 cents for soda.... The price of a bottle of water didn't increase, so, drink water... The price increase doesn't affect me one bit as I stopped drinking soda 4 years ago and haven't touch the stuff since... I'll continue to drink water...

WDWFigment

Like another poster said, you have a great alternative if you don't want to pay the soda prices...drink water for free.

No one is forcing anyone to drink soda. I think the price, even now, is more than reasonable. I do worry when people are happy that the "value" of their Dining Plan increased as a result, as I think this kind of thinking motivates Disney to increase F&B prices, which ultimately "only" hurts those of us who pay for food out of pocket.

Bairstow

Price for a bottle of coke at Six Flags over Georgia this summer:
0728111519a.jpg

Scuttle

Like another poster said, you have a great alternative if you don't want to pay the soda prices...drink water for free.

No one is forcing anyone to drink soda. I think the price, even now, is more than reasonable. I do worry when people are happy that the "value" of their Dining Plan increased as a result, as I think this kind of thinking motivates Disney to increase F&B prices, which ultimately "only" hurts those of us who pay for food out of pocket.

Yes this certainly does hurt us out of pocket drinkers and eaters. It's not that big of deal since me and girlfriend have tables in wonderland, but for our day visits when we don't plan on seating down and we just do counter service for the day, it certainly will hurt us over time.

Bairstow

My favorite gadget from my recent Universal/Sea World trip was a Vapur collapsible water "anti-bottle." It's a durable, re-usable water bottle that clips onto your belt or folds small enough to fit into any pocket. Very handy for saving money on hot days.

http://vapur.us/
vapur-anti-bottle-1.jpg

Oddysey

Like many others I typically bring my own water into the park, and refill at water fountains so the increase does not affect me. I am actually suprised to see that Disney's soda prices are as low as they are when considering the cost at other entertainment establishments.

WildcatDen

Bottle of Coke at King's Island is, I believe, $4.00. They are $5.00 at the Reds games. While at WDW in June, I commented on how 'cheap' Coke was. Still not as bad as here at home.

ElvisMickey

I drink water in the parks so this doesn't phase me. I very rarely crave soda or drink it in general anyway...maybe once in a blue moon. They say for every can of soda you drink, it's like eating a candy bar. No thanks. Who needs all of the extra calories.

Lucky

Rate of inflation is an indicator of prices as a whole. It really can't be accurately applied to a single product, especially one like soda whose cost is directly tied to the price of a commodity (HFCS and sugar in the case of soda). The price of HFCS went up 9% between 2010 and 2011 and the price of sugar doubled between 2009 and 2010.

But surely you see the pattern - just about all of WDW's prices seem to be increasing at several times the rate of inflation. Their biggest cost is labor (that's even a major part of the cost of providing a cup of soda). Is WDW increasing CMs' pay by several times the rate of inflation? I don't think so.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But surely you see the pattern - just about all of WDW's prices seem to be increasing at several times the rate of inflation. Their biggest cost is labor (that's even a major part of the cost of providing a cup of soda). Is WDW increasing CMs' pay by several times the rate of inflation? I don't think so.
Again, you are trying to compare a statistical average of the price of some 80,000 products used to calculate the rat of inflation to a single product. The numbers will rarely line up in an analysis like that. It is not a trend it is the way it has always been. Prices of individual items rarely to never lines up with the statistical average.

71jason

The increase makes the price comparable to our local restaurants now. I'm surprised they were that low for so long. Not that I'm happy, I'm just not surprised. :shrug:

I can't imagine they don't also offer free, unlimited refills. Apples and oranges.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Let's face it. Prices of soft drinks at theme parks, sports stadiums, airports, movie theaters, and other places with captive audiences are insane, as are the related profit margins. When looked at in the category of that insanity, WDW's prices were on the low side before this increase, and are about average after it.

Indeed, I can attest that drinks at Disneyland are more expensive. Large is $3.29, or at least it was in June -- maybe it's more now!

Of course, when you compare the price of a coke at WDW to the price at McDonald's, or the Hess Station, or a grocery or drug store, it's ridiculous. And for that reason, I highly recommend the refillable water bottle route.

A long time ago we felt the prices for a bottle of soda or water became crazy. But this really doesnt effect us too much. Since we drive we learned a long time ago that we can just bring a case of water and pop and spend around $10. The biggest plus to doing this is we can bring what we like instead.

:sohappy: It's pop, not soda! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom