Soda price increase at all locations throughout the Magic Kingdom

The Mom

Premium Member
Hey "The Mom", I remember the old soda fountains and ice cream parlors.
(You sure you are old enough to remember those days? Or hearing stories from much older siblings!)

So I call it soda also. My cousin who grew up in Canada calls it "pop'.

Some other relatives call it soda-pop so the discussion goes on....

I used to stop by the soda fountain in the drugstore in "The Square" in Riverside, RI frequently. Five cents for a soda, back in the 50s & 60s.

And back in those days, a milkshake in RI was just milk, flavoring, and soda water whipped up. If you wanted ice cream in it, you ordered a cabinet. ;)

David S.

Regarding the discussion everyone is having about what different parts of the country call these type of drinks, I am from New Orleans and the name I've most heard used is "soft drink".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_soft_drinks

You *can* bring your own drinks into Disney that are not in glass containers, I do it all the time (since I have to import my Pepsi because of the Disney embargo - you can't even buy them at non-Disney owned convenience stores ANYWHERE on property!).

I know the feeling, because my favorite flavor of "soda pop" or "soft drink" is Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb, neither of which is available in the parks, or even at the Hess stations, even though Mr. Pibb (now known as Pibb Xtra) is actually manufactured and marketed by Coke, so it wouldn't violate Disney's Coke-exclusive contract to sell it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pibb_Xtra

This park

http://www.lakecompounce.com/

was opened in 1846. Yes, that is correct, 1846. It is the oldest, continuously-operating amusement park in North America,

May not have all the Big time stuff like the big boys but really is fun.

Disney could learn a few things that they have forgotten along the way from places like this. Free Pepsi all day long!

Live only 2 - 3 miles from the park. By the way, they are adding a water park expansion that will double the size of the current area they have for water park.

But as far as the soda price, Six Flags is much worse than Disney.

Add: Those are REAL Boulders and REAL trees you are zipping through on Boulder Dash and it is built on a REAL Mountain. Take that Disney!!
And the lake is REAL fresh water lake also. So there!

I agree with the praise for LC/Boulderdash!

Lake Compounce is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest, "traditional park" I've ever been to! They might not be one of the "big boys", but Boulderdash alone makes it worth the trip for my wooden coaster-loving taste! It's my favorite of the 61 woodies I've ridden, and my favorite overall coaster of the 279 coasters I've ridden! The epic length, speed, wooded mountainside setting, and most of all AIRTIME after AIRTIME after AIRTIME, make it sublime perfection. Riding over and over and over again AT NIGHT, with no wait, and allowed "fill-in-rerides" (where riders can fill back into any seat left open after the new riders have boarded), on a nice chilly night in the 50's a few Octobers ago, is one of the absolute highlights of my coaster riding career! :)

Boulderdash POV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQaCoJRjskM

fosse76

When you want to watch an animated movie, you don't say you want to watch "a Disney movie" if you actually want to watch Shrek. Likewise, if I want to get a Sprite, I wouldn't say I want a Coke because a Coke is a specific soda. I would say I want a soda, and then ask what kinds they have. :)

Who goes into a restaurant and generically orders a soda (or pop, or soda pop)? When I am at a restaurant, I order a Sprite, or a Dr. Pepper, or a Root Beer, etc. With the clearly bizarre exception of the South, where ordering a coke is some kind of scientific procedure, anywhere else they know what you want. A coke is a coke. A Sprite is a Sprite. Dr. Pepper is Dr. Pepper, etc. It's like you people like to make all this extra work. If they don't have that brand, they tell you the closest alternative. I just don't get it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Who goes into a restaurant and generically orders a soda (or pop, or soda pop)? When I am at a restaurant, I order a Sprite, or a Dr. Pepper, or a Root Beer, etc. With the clearly bizarre exception of the South, where ordering a coke is some kind of scientific procedure, anywhere else they know what you want. A coke is a coke. A Sprite is a Sprite. Dr. Pepper is Dr. Pepper, etc. It's like you people like to make all this extra work. If they don't have that brand, they tell you the closest alternative. I just don't get it.
If you order a coke in the south you will get exactly that, a Coke. I have lived in the south for 39 years and have never once been asked "What kind?" when ordering a Coke. At most I might get "Is Pepsi OK?".

Kamikaze

If you order a coke in the south you will get exactly that, a Coke. I have lived in the south for 39 years and have never once been asked "What kind?" when ordering a Coke. At most I might get "Is Pepsi OK?".

To which the proper answer is 'Hell no'.

Without reading the thread, did the bottled prices go up as well?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hey...I didn't make this stuff up myself...so calm your jets.

Never been anything other than calm in this thread. It's a silly discussion about a humorous topic. I thought calmness was understood and fun was the goal.

It's not like we're debating something important, like whether ending monorail ops during EMH is the end of the world or a merely a minor inconvenience. :lookaroun

njDizFan

Exactly, who goes into a restaurant and says I'll have a soda? You order your beverage by name. I always ask for diet coke and occasionally they will ask if diet coke is okay but usually they will just bring diet Pepsi or closest alternative.

DisneyLeo18

What do you mean "you people"?

:lookaroun

InLikeFlynn

Born and raised in the south and I order exactly what I want too. I don't know anyone personally who refers to drinks broadly as "coke" nor do I EVER hear pop or soda being used.

Kamikaze

Born and raised in the south and I order exactly what I want too. I don't know anyone personally who refers to drinks broadly as "coke" nor do I EVER hear pop or soda being used.

What do you refer to the beverage type as, though? If you were referring to the entire group, in general, what would you call it?

njDizFan

What do you refer to the beverage type as, though? If you were referring to the entire group, in general, what would you call it?
Coming from NJ AKA the 100% Soda State, if my wife asked me if I need anything from the store I would respond, "ya get a bottle of Soda". that is when you might use the generic term.

Kamikaze

Coming from NJ AKA the 100% Soda State, if my wife asked me if I need anything from the store I would respond, "ya get a bottle of Soda". that is when you might use the generic term.

I was wondering about the southerners. Up here in the NE its almost all 'soda'

Bairstow

Same here.

This is Coke:
4890008100309.jpg

These are soft drinks.
soft_drinks.jpg

Which soft drink do most people drink?
4890008100309.jpg

In my 29 years of living in the South I've not once heard anyone ever refer to an Orange Crush or an A&W Root Beer as a "Coke".
It seems to me a misconception only existing in the minds of Northern internet users.

Same here.

In my 29 years of living in the South I've not once heard anyone ever refer to an Orange Crush or an A&W Root Beer as a "Coke".
It seems to me a misconception only existing in the minds of Northern internet users.

This is probably mostly true, however, I do have a friend from the south, and he does call all pop coke! Maybe he does it just to have fun with that "stereotype", who knows. :shrug:

InLikeFlynn

Um, drinks? Seriously....in my home I would say "hey, what do you want to drink? we have...tea, coke, dr. pepper, milk, etc..."
It's just another drink...they all have specific names.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

See map above. And check earlier in the thread for a couple of southerners who indicated that as their preferred name for the class of drinks known elsewhere as pop or soda.

Kamikaze

Um, drinks? Seriously....in my home I would say "hey, what do you want to drink? we have...tea, coke, dr. pepper, milk, etc..."
It's just another drink...they all have specific names.

Uh, not what I meant. If you go to the supermarket - what do you call the aisle with all the carbonated beverages in it?

Like, you generalized 'tea' in your example. You didn't specify "Tetley's" or whatever.

Bairstow

That graph is completely contrary to my own experience, and I would be interested to see the sort of questions used in its data collection.

To make it clear, I have seen other colas referred to as coke, ie. something like RC Cola or Wal-Mart brand cola, since there's little difference in the product. As someone pointed out, this is like referring to generic tissues as "kleenex". However, just as one would not refer to a roll of paper towels as "kleenex" no one down here calls root beer "coke".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom