Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
On another note, I forget if this has already been mentioned, but I just realized why the Soarin' work was Project 87 — because each theater has a maximum capacity of 87 guests.

Yes, someone figured that out when the permit was first filed. The TSMM third track was project 3, but we never figured out why the Frozen attraction was Project 6.

PaisleyMF

For the people looking for the projection, It is an Digital IMAX laser projection system. The original system was still the old film based.
The projectors are Christie Digital for IMAX.

Got to say the original movie looks amazing, can't wait for Around the World.

and for those fans, the pictures are ALL the IMAX projections, the Film Based(left) and Digital IMAX (Right), and last but no least, Digital IMAX, laser.
1j0Nkh.jpg
1766255357b29d551f.jpg
gnojzzufsicigedlwsdg.jpg

aaronml

For the people looking for the projection, It is an Digital IMAX laser projection system. The original system was still the old film based.

Got to say the original movie looks amazing, can't wait for Around the World.

and for those fans, the pictures are ALL the IMAX projections, the Film Based(left) and Digital IMAX (Right), and last but no least, Digital IMAX, laser.
1j0Nkh.jpg
1766255357b29d551f.jpg
gnojzzufsicigedlwsdg.jpg
Hmm I didn't know Christie made digital IMAX projectors. Other than the fact that the new projectors are made by Christie, the only other thing I had heard was that they were "Dome Master" projectors. I have never heard the term "IMAX" used at all to describe the new projectors, but I also have never seen them in person nor have I seen detailed specs. Do you know for a fact that it is Christie-made IMAX Laser projection?

Jahona

Doing a quick google search doesn't bring up anything directly from Christie, but there are several forum topics of projectionists talking about Christie projectors used for IMAX. It looks like the original dual 2k digital projectors used when movie theaters started to incorprate IMAX were Christie projectors. Now if the new IMAX laser projection system is provided by Christie I can't tell.

DisneyCane

You're post is not correct. I can't speak to weather or not the projectors are IMAX laser or Christie laser (other's have said they know they are Christie) but they can't possibly be Christie AND IMAX. IMAX uses Barco projectors exclusively. There is no such thing as Christie Digital for IMAX.

PaisleyMF

Doing a quick google search doesn't bring up anything directly from Christie, but there are several forum topics of projectionists talking about Christie projectors used for IMAX. It looks like the original dual 2k digital projectors used when movie theaters started to incorprate IMAX were Christie projectors. Now if the new IMAX laser projection system is provided by Christie I can't tell.
You are correct Barco is the Projection partner for IMAX. And I did read that it was the Laser Projection System as is also 4K.
Like I said also, the Soarin' Over California movie looks better than it did. And even from my memory from the California version or when it open in Epcot. Can't wait for Over the World.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Just and aside: I have to throw in the mix here, Christie Projectors in general are WAAAAY overpriced. For comparable image, I can spend about half the price in another brand... I was able to install high end LED panels for less money than a Christie. IMAX is a different story, but all this conversation made me laugh because it falls perfectly into spending and cost overrun problem seen throughout.

DisneyCane

Just and aside: I have to throw in the mix here, Christie Projectors in general are WAAAAY overpriced. For comparable image, I can spend about half the price in another brand... I was able to install high end LED panels for less money than a Christie. IMAX is a different story, but all this conversation made me laugh because it falls perfectly into spending and cost overrun problem seen throughout.

What size LED panel display did you install that was cheaper than any projector? A 4k, 3 chip DLP, xenon lamp projector that can illuminate a 100 foot wide screen is going to cost less than $50,000. Laser is higher but that is due to the cost of the lasers.

Also, there is no way that other projector brands are half the cost for the equivalent resolution and 3 chip DLP. The majority of the cost is for the DLP chips and boards from TI which all manufacturers have to purchase. The next biggest cost is for the lens.

aaronml

I went last night and A was still closed. The CM told me no soft openings for SATW.
Yeah no unfortunately they won't be doing any Soft Opens for SATW. If anything, the current Epcot run of SOC is considered their "Soft Open" at least for the new digital technology, and the new tower console, etc. The only thing that should have a Soft Open this week would be new World Trivia in-queue game on Wednesday for a few hours. It takes time to switch everything out (scents, etc.) for the SATW show, which is why Soarin' will be closed on the 16th in order to get ready for the SATW open on the 17th.

dstrawn9889

I went last night and A was still closed. The CM told me no soft openings for SATW.
When is opening night?
July the 3rd.
Got fireworks the stroke of midnight the whole charade.
Are we going in now? It's already open.
No, it's a soft opening.
To test the place before the grand opening.
Yeah it's kinda like a out of town preview on the town.
Soft opening? Grand opening?
When they opened the Flamingo one day it was closed the next day it was open.
End of story.
I know, I was there.
Well it's different now.
So when is opening night?
July the 3rd.

DisDadWoz

When is opening night?
July the 3rd.
Got fireworks the stroke of midnight the whole charade.
Are we going in now? It's already open.
No, it's a soft opening.
To test the place before the grand opening.
Yeah it's kinda like a out of town preview on the town.
Soft opening? Grand opening?
When they opened the Flamingo one day it was closed the next day it was open.
End of story.
I know, I was there.
Well it's different now.
So when is opening night?
July the 3rd.
Love the reference!!!^^^^

Tom Morrow

What are the odds that Disney might occasionally do special "flight to California" events? Or would it be too hard to keep swapping out the film and programming?

aaronml

What are the odds that Disney might occasionally do special "flight to California" events? Or would it be too hard to keep swapping out the film and programming?
I don't think it would happen unless the SATW film isn't well received. Really it is the scents that are the biggest pain to switch, with the new digital system, switching the film itself isn't too hard.

PaisleyMF

What size LED panel display did you install that was cheaper than any projector? A 4k, 3 chip DLP, xenon lamp projector that can illuminate a 100 foot wide screen is going to cost less than $50,000. Laser is higher but that is due to the cost of the lasers.

Also, there is no way that other projector brands are half the cost for the equivalent resolution and 3 chip DLP. The majority of the cost is for the DLP chips and boards from TI which all manufacturers have to purchase. The next biggest cost is for the lens.

Unless these LED panels are Chinese knockoffs. LED tech still too expensive for something like Soarin, as they will have to be HD and not full 4K as Soarin' has been promoted in some places. Christie may be an expensive projection solution but Barco is too, and both Laser lines are just as expensive as a condo in Florida (yeah I checked). But Laser is the way to go (specially when you can do 3 color or 6 color choices...) I need my Soarin fix now...

aaronml

Unless these LED panels are Chinese knockoffs. LED tech still too expensive for something like Soarin, as they will have to be HD and not full 4K as Soarin' has been promoted in some places. Christie may be an expensive projection solution but Barco is too, and both Laser lines are just as expensive as a condo in Florida (yeah I checked). But Laser is the way to go (specially when you can do 3 color or 6 color choices...) I need my Soarin fix now...
TWDC also has some sort of corporate agreement/contract with Christie, and may get a discounted price through them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom