Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Timekeeper

I assume that we're not talking about these "state of the art" projectors? ;)

DSCF0800.jpg

RSoxNo1

If you go back up and read the comments on this page before yours that I'm quoting and maybe the page before, you'll have your answer. People have been discussing what it would be (and likely is) along with why. That's why everyone's kind of all over you questioning your confidence about this. :)
Ok, so the likeliest scenario is that it's the same as DCA, a Christie Laser. Is there any difference other than the brand name?

MrPromey

Ok, so the likeliest scenario is that it's the same as DCA, a Christie Laser. Is there any difference other than the brand name?
Like you, I'm by far no expert when it comes to this sort of thing. Quality-wise, it sounds like there was a distinct difference between IMAX and other technologies as far as film was concerned due to their pioneering work in the large format space where much of the actual equipment was made specifically by them with patents protecting some key components.

This seems to be less so a case in the digital filed although on the page prior to this one, someone points out that within their line of products, Christie seems to make at least a couple different levels of quality so if Disney went with lower-end versions of their equipment, it could be lower quality than what they might have gotten with IMAX.

I believe that's what all the big discussion is about because nobody knows for sure. For me personally, if it looks good to my eye (I work in graphics but nothing dealing with large format) crisp with no obvious pixilation or blurry motion, I'll be happy. I think with an attraction like this, there is enough to the execution that the whole can easily become more than the sum of individual parts for the typical guest. If however, one aspect is in a field in which you're specialized, (be it video, motion, sound, lighting, etc.) flaws are going to stick out like a sore thumb to you because you're already conditioned to find them.

For you and me, innocence will probably be our bliss.;)

RSoxNo1

Like you, I'm by far no expert when it comes to this sort of thing. Quality-wise, it sounds like there was a distinct difference between IMAX and other technologies as far as film was concerned due to their pioneering work in the large format space where much of the actual equipment was made specifically by them with patents protecting some key components.

This seems to be less so a case in the digital filed although on the page prior to this one, someone points out that within their line of products, Christie seems to make at least a couple different levels of quality so if Disney went with lower-end versions of their equipment, it could be lower quality than what they might have gotten with IMAX.

I believe that's what all the big discussion is about because nobody knows for sure. For me personally, if it looks good to my eye (I work in graphics but nothing dealing with large format) crisp with no obvious pixilation or blurry motion, I'll be happy. I think with an attraction like this, there is enough to the execution that the whole can easily become more than the sum of individual parts for the typical guest. If however, one aspect is in a field in which you're specialized, (be it video, motion, sound, lighting, etc.) flaws are going to stick out like a sore thumb to you because you're already conditioned to find them.

For you and me, innocence will probably be our bliss.;)
I've seen the DCA digital upgrade and it is substantially better than the predecessor. Assuming that Soarin' Around the World is at least at that quality I will be pleased. I would expect that it would look even better because I assume some level of conversion was necessary to get the Soarin' Over California form to the digital format.

flyerjab

Any one heard if all three theaters are up and running or is there still only two?

We rode it today and there were only two theaters up and running. We all thought that the queue looked much nicer than it did prior to the refurbishment.

Concerning the look of the film, it is considerably much better and clearer. Something else that all of us noticed was that the sensation of flight was much more palpable. We definitely noticed it during the scene where you descend towards the golf course. It was great to ride it again.

Goofyernmost

If they weren't going to put them in order, I wonder why they didn't just add theater 3.
And now we must cater to the OCD's of the world too? Other then a strange need to have everything in a row, please give me one logical reason why it matters. Just one... that's all I ask. (Logical doesn't mean I don't like it, it bothers me)

halltd

And now we must cater to the OCD's of the world too? Other then a strange need to have everything in a row, please give me one logical reason why it matters. Just one... that's all I ask. (Logical doesn't mean I don't like it, it bothers me)
Uh....I asked why change to letters if they were going to stay out of order?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom