Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

TP2000

Cali is a city in Colombia.

Or the name of California for anyone east of the Mississippi who has never actually been to California. Or someone who shops at PacSun or Hollister or Ron Jon's and thinks they are buying cool clothes that SoCal surfers wear. Except they aren't.

They're also the same type of person who would say "Frisco" when they are talking about San Francisco, making every Westerner in the room cringe. Of course, an actual San Franciscan just calls their home town "The City", as if it's the only city on the planet, which confuses Southern Californians to no end. And to many San Franciscans and Northern Californians, it is the only city on the planet.

San Franciscans are a lot like Bostonians that way, except without the accent and pasty skin. I spent many years in Boston, and paid my dues in brutal winters and horrible traffic, so I can say that. :cool:

WDWoptmist

At the same time though there is alot to do in WDW that wouldn't be technically an attraction. If it was all about attraction numbers than technically most of World Showcase is just wasted space.
But unless you've actually been to Disneyland, you couldn't and wouldn't understand that.

The entire Disneyland Resort is comparable in size to the Epcot property with the Yacht and Beach Club resorts adjacent to it. Here's a comparison taken at the same scale of those two properties, Epcot and Disneyland Resort. Look at this photo and then try to comprehend that there are just as many rides/attractions and major daily entertainment spectaculars (parades, fireworks, water shows) at Disneyland Resort as there are in the entire WDW complex of four theme parks.

Disneyland Resort is an incredibly compact property densely packed with attractions, shows and entertainment, equal to all of WDW's four theme parks combined. But unless you've spent a couple days in Anaheim, a WDW fan would have no idea how that could even work, much less happen.

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

TP2000

At the same time though there is alot to do in WDW that wouldn't be technically an attraction. If it was all about attraction numbers than technically most of World Showcase is just wasted space.

World Showcase is fabulous, as is Epcot in general. My second favorite Disney theme park of all time, even with its current condition in the 2010's.

In the tally of "Attractions" that I used, each World Showcase pavilion counts as at least one "Attraction", even if it doesn't have a show or ride within it. For instance, Japan, Italy, Germany, Morocco, and United Kingdom all count as separate attractions, even though they are just a cluster of shops and restaurants, set around a small yet wonderfully themed courtyard setting. Those five ride-less and show-less pavilions count as five separate "Attractions" in the overall WDW tally.

At the other WDW parks, stuff like One Man's Dream exhibit, Pangani Forest Trails, Maharajah Trek or the Conservation Station exhibit all count as individual "Attractions". The train to Conservation Station counts as a separate attraction, and also a ride. So if you go to Conservation Station you've been to two Attractions, including one Ride.

Knowing that, Epcot has a total of 24 Attractions, 9 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles of some sort. As a comparison, Disney California Adventure has a total of 31 Attractions, 21 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles. Disneyland has a total of 46 Attractions, 34 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles. Etc., etc.

Here's the breakdown by property, using that format:

Disneyland Resort (Disneyland & Disney California Adventure)
77 Attractions, 55 of which are Rides with moving vehicles

Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom)
86 Attractions, 46 of which are Rides with moving vehicles

Amazing, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:

Michael Shiels

Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom)

Amazing, isn't it? ;)

I never thought about it like this...

Sage of Time

World Showcase is fabulous, as is Epcot in general. My second favorite Disney theme park of all time, even with its current condition in the 2010's.

In the tally of "Attractions" that I used, each World Showcase pavilion counts as at least one "Attraction", even if it doesn't have a show or ride within it. For instance, Japan, Italy, Germany, Morocco, and United Kingdom all count as separate attractions, even though they are just a cluster of shops and restaurants, set around a small yet wonderfully themed courtyard setting. Those five ride-less and show-less pavilions count as five separate "Attractions" in the overall WDW tally.

At the other WDW parks, stuff like One Man's Dream exhibit, Pangani Forest Trails, Maharajah Trek or the Conservation Station exhibit all count as individual "Attractions". The train to Conservation Station counts as a separate attraction, and also a ride. So if you go to Conservation Station you've been to two Attractions, including one Ride.

Knowing that, Epcot has a total of 24 Attractions, 9 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles of some sort. As a comparison, Disney California Adventure has a total of 31 Attractions, 21 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles. Disneyland has a total of 46 Attractions, 34 of which are actual rides involving moving ride vehicles. Etc., etc.

Amazing, isn't it? ;)
I'm glad that you like EPCOT.

TP2000

I never thought about it like this...

I think many of us who visit both Disneyland and WDW think of it like this. It's quite a noticeable thing, really.

Interestingly, the expansion of Soarin' and Toy Story Midway Mania at WDW will require a lot of money and work to expand the capacity of those existing attractions. And yet it won't add to the overall tally of Attractions and Rides for WDW.

WDWoptmist

Amazing, isn't it? ;)
Well when you put it like that lol :D

note2001

Google Earth recently updated their imagery with aerials from February 18th, 2015. You can see they were well underway with grading/foundation work when this was taken:

xcq422V.jpg
I'd love to see a newer pic (as would all of us) but judging from the pattern on the ground this does look like only one theater being built. Oh well, when completed, the line should move 1/3 faster, in theory.

Kman101

While it was started four months ago, we still have quite a ways to go, right? I know it's hardly a priority but still ...

ToTBellHop

While it was started four months ago, we still have quite a ways to go, right? I know it's hardly a priority but still ...
It is a priority. That is why it is getting built within 2 years, start-to-finish. Realize this is effectively as complex as it was to build the ride in the first place. 2 years construction time is not unreasonable. Clearly there is a lot of work to do. We haven't seen structural steel. Or cranes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom