Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Goofyernmost

Thanks, but do you know if Flight of Passage will use the same technology? I would assume if it is it would probably have more movement, and would have a huge visual increase on Soarin' Over The World's large visual increase/projector upgrades.
If you mean the ride vehicles themselves, I don't believe that anything about them is changing except the programming to react to the new visuals and quite likely a different sound track.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey does anyone know if the Flight of Passage is still going to use relatively the same technology of the ride system for Soarin'? I wonder though what is going to be the grand finale for Soarin' Over The World.

We know Flight of Passage will be a "vehicle in front of a large screen" ride like Soarin, but there is a lot that could be done with it to take it beyond what Soarin' is. We know it will be 3D, and it's likely to have a large range of actual motion then Soarin.

matt9112

If the giant people eaters there like Universe of Energy, Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Health Pavilion, Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, Innovations and Mission: Space were great rides that actually worth riding then the line would probably be much shorter. Its not there isn't stuff there, its the stuff is stupidly outdated.

I agree. Granted I am a mission space fan it simply isn't soaking up riders. That's a problem. Park simply has garbage capacity yet attendance keeps going up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Silly question Marni but why did they build it "away" from the existing theatre? Why not built it up against?

The probably didn't build it right against the current building because there is a lot of infrastructure (AC, fire escapes, etc) coming off the back of the building which would have required a much longer shut down of the existing attraction.

Goofyernmost

Silly question Marni but why did they build it "away" from the existing theatre? Why not built it up against?
I'm not Marni, but, if I had to guess I would think it is because to put it up against the building would have meant relocating all the external equipment that you can see along the old building. Just a guess, but, if it were me and with the fact that nothing is showing from the outside to the public, it would be the most logical reason I can think of.

EDIT: Again I really need to read ahead. I see that it was already answered. Move along, nothing to see here! :)

DisneyChik17

So, fun info today from my buddy in internal marketing, apparently the "End of May" date (reportedly, May 27) is the opening of the third theater but will still have Soarin' Over California. Then, the movie switch will occur later in June or July, depending on Shanghai and when they finally open.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
So, fun info today from my buddy in internal marketing, apparently the "End of May" date (reportedly, May 27) is the opening of the third theater but will still have Soarin' Over California. Then, the movie switch will occur later in June or July, depending on Shanghai and when they finally open.

That would mean that they would have had to upgrade from film to digital, right? Wouldn't all three theaters have the new projectors? Also, I wonder how long it will take to make the switch. Besides changing the movie, they would need to reprogram the movements and change the smells.

hokielutz

So will it be a 100% switch to a new movie... or will they have two different shows?
Net activity at work is slow this week, so I haven't been able to go back into the thread for this info.

DisneyChik17

That would mean that they would have had to upgrade from film to digital, right? Wouldn't all three theaters have the new projectors? Also, I wonder how long it will take to make the switch. Besides changing the movie, they would need to reprogram the movements and change the smells.

Technicalities that I am not aware of, and neither was my buddy. I would assume that they would replace the projectors, but maybe not upgrade the film. And the reprogram may be something that can be stored on a drive and test ran, but again that's not where our expertise is. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

As for June 1, you will have Soarin' over California.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The film has already been upgraded to digital, that is what is being used at DCA.

Jon81uk

We know Flight of Passage will be a "vehicle in front of a large screen" ride like Soarin, but there is a lot that could be done with it to take it beyond what Soarin' is. We know it will be 3D, and it's likely to have a large range of actual motion then Soarin.

Of course Simpsons Ride (Back to the Future) at Universal is also a vehicle in front of a large screen ride. Lots of things have similar concepts, but the finished result is very different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom