Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Jon81uk

So there's an overall decrease in resolution?
That's lame. I would have thought Disney would have opted for a projector that met or exceeded the source film.

It can't really currently be done with current digital projectors, IMAX 70mm film will be better than 4K digital. I think IMAX laser is much better, but still it the same as proper film. The issue with film (as can be seen on Soarin') is when it is poorly maintained, the film isn't replaced and gets dusty. But IMAX 70mm film is the equivalent of something like a 12K digital projector I think.

There was a really interesting blog post on this somewhere (maybe linked from the other Soarin' thread).

RSoxNo1

This refurbishment will be quite extensive. As stated by others, the restrooms found next to the attraction will be expanded, because new ones are being installed in the former area occupied by the Food Rocks stage. The ride is also expected to reopen with a completely redesigned queue.
The queue still has to be long because it's connecting to a building that's far away. Having said that, improving the queue while increasing capacity in the attraction seems counter intuitive.

The attraction was closed for 4 months in California while they did exterior work and upgraded to digital. It just seems that the time frame is ridiculously long for both.

On my last trip, I was good with a half a day in Epcot while Flower and Garden was going on. With Soarin' Out of the picture that removes another hour+ from people's time at Epcot. Here's hoping the $350 million will result in legit overhauls to Energy and Imagination.

UpAllNight

I've never understood the enthusiasm for Soarin'. I've ridden it once, and was unimpressed. The film is really grainy. The whole thing seemed kinda lame. Maybe the refurb will help?

As well as the points you mentioned, the transitions between scenes were disjointed and completely not in line with the flawless immersive environments and attractions created in some of their best work. How can you feel immersed when one second you're in one part of California the next you're somewhere completely different? I just didn't get it as much as I was looking forward to it. Nice technology, very poorly implemented.

lazyboy97o

As well as the points you mentioned, the transitions between scenes were disjointed and completely not in line with the flawless immersive environments and attractions created in some of their best work. How can you feel immersed when one second you're in one part of California the next you're somewhere completely different? I just didn't get it as much as I was looking forward to it. Nice technology, very poorly implemented.
Like most of the park, the ride wasn't intended to be immersive.

wdwfan4ver

I'm still not seeing six months worth of work here. Where are the bathrooms being relocated that they're in the way of the Soarin' queue?
The location Futureworld1982 mentioned about the the new bathrooms ones are being installed in the former area occupied by the Food Rocks stage is correct.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The queue still has to be long because it's connecting to a building that's far away. Having said that, improving the queue while increasing capacity in the attraction seems counter intuitive.

The attraction was closed for 4 months in California while they did exterior work and upgraded to digital. It just seems that the time frame is ridiculously long for both.

On my last trip, I was good with a half a day in Epcot while Flower and Garden was going on. With Soarin' Out of the picture that removes another hour+ from people's time at Epcot. Here's hoping the $350 million will result in legit overhauls to Energy and Imagination.

We really don't know how long DCA's work would have taken because the re-opening was tied into the re-opening of the whole area. It may have taken even less the 4 months if they were just doing that.

wdwfan4ver

The park will be fine if Frozen opens up in the meantime.. ..Not that I personally am excited about Frozen.
The thing is Frozen will not be opened up for Spring break, but Epcot will be depending on the Flower and Garden Festival from Mach 2nd to May 15th.

I read in the past that Frozen is supposed to open around May with Soarin' is supposed to be back in July.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You know.. This would be a great time to re-open a pavilion with multiple attractions that also contains another thrill ride so that Disney can satisfy the Epcot guests!! :D Oh wait... :cautious:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The thing is Frozen will not be opened up for Spring break, but Epcot will be depending on the Flower and Garden Festival from Mach 2nd to May 15th.

I read in the past that Frozen is supposed to open around May with Soarin' is supposed to be back in July.

July?! Are you kidding me...July??

rucifee

Rides, we don't need rides when we have all this money! Wonder how many sheep will buy park hopper next year when all you need is a 4 day non hopper to do everything WDW has to offer. LMAO..

TP2000

I've never understood the enthusiasm for Soarin'. I've ridden it once, and was unimpressed. The film is really grainy. The whole thing seemed kinda lame. Maybe the refurb will help?

They already did the digital upgrade to Soarin' at Disneyland last May. It is a vastly improved experience in digital 4K HD, even though it's based on film stock shot in 1999.

I'm sure the new Horizons film will be even better, since it's shot with modern digital cameras and planned from the start to be that way.

BigThunderMatt

Yes.

I'm excited! This means the new version should be open for my senior trip in July! ^_^

If Shanghai hasn't opened theirs yet it will still be the California film come summer albeit hopefully with digital projection. I understand it's still not as good as the IMAX 70MM but the average park-goer won't notice the difference either way as most of the sheeple coming to WDW these days laud the dirt-riddled film currently being used as the second coming of Jesus. It'll definitely be a step up from where we are now.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If Shanghai hasn't opened theirs yet it will still be the California film come summer albeit hopefully with digital projection. I understand it's still not as good as the IMAX 70MM but the average park-goer won't notice the difference either way as most of the sheeple coming to WDW these days laud the dirt-riddled film currently being used as the second coming of Jesus. It'll definitely be a step up from where we are now.
Ohh. So it's just the new theatre that's opening in the Summer.............Shoot. No point in going to Epcot then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom