Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

note2001

Happy this attraction will finally be getting those long awaited updates, and expansion. However, I can't help but feel this is too little too late. They really need to WOW us with this.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The film is really grainy. The whole thing seemed kinda lame. Maybe the refurb will help?
If reports from California are right, the projector swap-out is mixed. The resolution of a 4K projector is technically worse that IMAX film. But the Soarin' film had degraded so badly and had so much dust the digital still looks better. Although you might be able to see some pixels in the digital projection.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That's a tough capacity hit, the land is going to be a very quiet place for 6 months!

Epcot will basically go back to the way it was back in 2004 when Food Rocks existed in The Land pavilion instead of Soarin'. Everyone will be at Test Track and Mission: Space.. The rest of the park will still be 10 and 15 minute waits regardless of how many E-Tickets close.

disney4life2008

Epcot will basically go back to the way it was back in 2004 when Food Rocks existed in The Land pavilion instead of Soarin'. Everyone will be at Test Track and Mission: Space.. The rest of the park will still be 10 and 15 minute waits regardless of how many E-Tickets close.

YES!!!! I will be able to sit down and relax while eating the delicious food in the QS.

RSoxNo1

My understanding is that they need to re-do the queue to make way for the new theater as well as update the other two with the new projectors and film.
No. The queue is one long crooked hallway and the biggest change is going to be a hole in a wall at the FP/Standby merge area. I don't know how long it would take to calibrate projectors in a facility like this, but six months seems absolutely ridiculous. If anything, they could experiment with theater 3 and close one theater at a time.

RSoxNo1

There is more than a 3rd theater, new film, and new projectors coming for the amount of time.

There is going to be configuration change of the restrooms and the bathrooms will be bigger as a result. The changes to the bathroom actually could cause entrance changes to Soarin'. The bathroom changes actually would cause the Soarin' desk to be removed.
I'm still not seeing six months worth of work here. Where are the bathrooms being relocated that they're in the way of the Soarin' queue?

French Quarter

I agree. I was very happy that I saw Soarin' multiple on my last trip including one that only had a 10 to 15 minute waiting time.

I did notice on my last trip WDW that Test Track didn't always open at 9:00, but opened later in the day. That could screw up Epcot before World Showcase opens up at 11:00 without counting International Gateway, the France Bakery, and the Akershus Royal Banquet.

I'm sure they will open TT at park opening once Soarin' closes in order to help deal with the crowds.

Marc Davis Fan

I've never understood the enthusiasm for Soarin'. I've ridden it once, and was unimpressed. The film is really grainy. The whole thing seemed kinda lame. Maybe the refurb will help?

Yes! They are replacing the projectors like they did on the one in California, and that one is no longer grainy, nor are there artifacts on the screen (pieces of dust, etc).

The other problem with Soarin', though, is that your experience depends on where you're seated (e.g., B1 vs. A3 or C3). I think it would have been preferable to have more theaters with fewer seats in each (e.g., 4 theaters, with the extreme left and right several seats in the bottom two rows removed).

Last edited:

Luxe

No. The queue is one long crooked hallway and the biggest change is going to be a hole in a wall at the FP/Standby merge area. I don't know how long it would take to calibrate projectors in a facility like this, but six months seems absolutely ridiculous. If anything, they could experiment with theater 3 and close one theater at a time.

I thought I remember hearing rumblings about the queue potentially being redone. I'm assuming they just want to close the whole attraction and just get everything done in one go.

Bairstow

If reports from California are right, the projector swap-out is mixed. The resolution of a 4K projector is technically worse that IMAX film. But the Soarin' film had degraded so badly and had so much dust the digital still looks better. Although you might be able to see some pixels in the digital projection.

So there's an overall decrease in resolution?
That's lame. I would have thought Disney would have opted for a projector that met or exceeded the source film.

matt9112

I feel your pain, we are going down for the Princess Half Marathon in Feb. I had hoped we were safe from a refurb since the Frozen ride wouldn't be open yet, since there aren't a ton of rides to begin with, we usually do 2 days at Epcot, but I'm kind of rethinking that now...

yeah unless your a foodie i dont see the need for two days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom