Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

DisneyCane

The new projectors are Christie, just like at DCA.

Didn't the official Disney blog say they were IMAX? Of course, IMAX just puts Barco projectors in a custom enclosure with custom optics and alignment sensors/software.

Has anybody actually seen the projectors? Brand can be easily confirmed. If they are actually laser there will be a rack of lasers and fiber optic lines running to the projectors from the racks.

aaronml

Didn't the official Disney blog say they were IMAX? Of course, IMAX just puts Barco projectors in a custom enclosure with custom optics and alignment sensors/software.

Has anybody actually seen the projectors? Brand can be easily confirmed. If they are actually laser there will be a rack of lasers and fiber optic lines running to the projectors from the racks.
Nope. I just searched "IMAX" on the Disney Parks Blog and nothing Soarin' related came up. I know for a fact that the projectors at DCA are Christie (with laser), and it makes sense that they would use the same in Epcot, so I trust @Alektronic on this.

No Name

Disney's California Adventure was under construction when Soarin' Over California was produced.

Exactly, so that's part of the reason why they flew over Disneyland park instead... o_O

The film already uses a good amount of animation and a digital model of the park already exists.

Umm, sure. But animation is different from the real thing, and even with today's technology, I'm quite sure that a careful eye could tell the difference. I prefer real film over computer stuff.

If you're referring to when Soarin' Over California was made, well, I'm more than quite sure that a careful eye could've told the difference. But even a CGI flyover of 2001 DCA wouldn't have been as nice as the flyover of DL. I think that was a good choice as well.

Last edited:

aaronml

And the fly over was over Disneyland.

Also it's IMAX laser, which at least partially explains the 6 month refurb.
Are you 100% sure about the IMAX thing? Or are you basing that off what you had read elsewhere. I can totally understand why a lot of people would assume that IMAX Laser is used (e.g. the fact that IMAX Film was used previously, and the fact that Disney has said that the new projectors are digital and use lasers), but at least in DCA, I know for a fact that the projectors are from Christie. According to @Alektronic the projectors in Epcot are also Christie, which would make sense since Disney would probably want to be consistent in quality across coasts if possible.

Mike S

Are you 100% sure about the IMAX thing? Or are you basing that off what you had read elsewhere. I can totally understand why a lot of people would assume that IMAX Laser is used (e.g. the fact that IMAX Film was used previously, and the fact that Disney has said that the new projectors are digital and use lasers), but at least in DCA, I know for a fact that the projectors are from Christie. According to @Alektronic the projectors in Epcot are also Christie, which would make sense since Disney would probably want to be consistent in quality across coasts if possible.
That last part I bolded, I wish it was true in many more aspects than just projectors in Soarin'.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The ocregister piece earlier about the DCA refurb when re-read can be easily confused to think imax laser... but in fact all it says is 'digital' and infers the advances in lasers make it possible. So it certainly doesn't contradict your statement of them using Christie laser projectors.

And Disney also has a large contract arrangement with Christie for other uses in the larger TWDC...

DisneyCane

If the DCA projectors are Christie laser then I would assume all Soarin' projectors are Christie. There is no particular reason to use IMAX. With the film based system, there was because IMAX made a unique camera/projection system.

As fare as the actual projectors used go, not all laser illuminated projectors are equivalent. There are projectors that simply replace the xenon light source with a laser light source and take out the prism (since it isn't necessary). There are also projectors that add a "illumination modulation" stage before the final DLP imaging chips.

The first type increases brightness and efficiency but doesn't do that much to improve contrast. The second type improves contrast as well because it tries to only give the amount of light necessary to each part of the image.

Christie makes both types of laser projector. The version listed on their website is the first type. However, they make the second type for Dolby Cinema installations.

I'm pretty sure the Barco projectors used for IMAX also do something to increase contrast.

My gut would say that Disney is probably using the standard, laser illuminated projectors and not the enhanced contrast versions since the latter are more expensive.

RSoxNo1

From the press release:

Employing high-definition, laser-projected footage and innovative motion-based ride technology, all developed by Walt Disney Imagineering, Soarin’ Around the World lifts 87 guests at a time 40 feet aloft into an 80-foot projection screen dome. The effect is that guests’ entire field of vision is filled with panoramic beauty, giving them the sensation that they are actually flying over the globe’s grand landmarks, natural and manmade.

aaronml

From the press release:

Employing high-definition, laser-projected footage and innovative motion-based ride technology, all developed by Walt Disney Imagineering, Soarin’ Around the World lifts 87 guests at a time 40 feet aloft into an 80-foot projection screen dome. The effect is that guests’ entire field of vision is filled with panoramic beauty, giving them the sensation that they are actually flying over the globe’s grand landmarks, natural and manmade.
Nowhere in there does it say IMAX Laser. It just says that it is laser projection technology.

aaronml

FYI If anyone is going to be at Epcot during the next two weeks, I'm hearing that they'll be soft opening (for limited time periods) the new in-queue world trivia game on a couple of different days prior to the June 17th SATW official open. I believe the first one is some time late next week, on either Thursday or Friday.
UPDATE: In-Queue World Trivia Game testing has now been delayed to Monday. From what I have heard it should start at around 10am and last for a few hours. I've also heard that there will be 1-2 additional "soft opens" of the world trivia game before the grand open on the 17th.

Last edited:

Rteetz

Wait a minute why is Fitzgerald involved with this project at DCA. I thought he had been more or less exiled into the Epcot portfolio.
Soarin is at both DCA and Epcot so he still has involvement on soarin being the lead for Epcot. Fitzgerald is also closer to DCA when working in Glendale than he is to Orlando.

RSoxNo1

Nowhere in there does it say IMAX Laser. It just says that it is laser projection technology.
What would it be other than IMAX laser? While it's likely they've replaced the screen, wasn't the previous projection IMAX? I'm admittedly ignorant about the differences here.

MrPromey

What would it be other than IMAX laser? While it's likely they've replaced the screen, wasn't the previous projection IMAX? I'm admittedly ignorant about the differences here.
If you go back up and read the comments on this page before yours that I'm quoting and maybe the page before, you'll have your answer. People have been discussing what it would be (and likely is) along with why. That's why everyone's kind of all over you questioning your confidence about this. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom