Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

aaronml

Soarin' Around the World hasn't premeired at DCA or Epcot yet.
I'm aware. I have however seen the pre-show for it :) It is essentially the same as it is now, except that the initial part with the clouds and the names of CA cities has been replaced with a video showing all the places that SATW goes to on a map.

jrhwdw

I rode concourse C today and the screen/image was amazing. And, it smelled like Footlocker in the queue and exit corridor (which is a good thing). :) I wasn't expecting the "Soarin' over California" logo and intro from Patrick since I hadn't read about it here yet. So I was like, "uh...what's that?". ha ha ha!!

I had probably THE worst seat in the entire theater, too. Bottom row, far left seat. It's right at the curve in the screen and right over the CM control panel for the ride. They had the light on the panel and about five of them were having a meeting during the film, so all I heard was them talking. If you get this row/seat, I'd suggest asking to wait for the next cycle.

Also, the old ride system lowered back to the floor during the last fireworks explosion and this one (unless it was just a fluke) stayed up until the screen changed to blue and then lowered. It just caught me off-guard since I'm so used to the old version...and it didn't seem as fluid.

Anyways, the scents and image quality were amazing. So, I can't wait to see the new version...as long as Patrick is still there. :)

I've had 3 trips to WDW since Soarin first opened. I think(could be wrong)we always picked the top 2 rows. and I don't remember "landing" during the fireworks. IDK why the 3rd row would, aren't all 3 rows connected?

Anyone know if SATW ends with a Disney Park? SDL's didn't.. I was a little disappointed! Unless they didn't debut the whole film yet? Perfect opportunity to fly over SDL!! It was thrilling flying over DL, Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe..In Holiday Magic!

Goofyernmost

A thought occurred to me about the one theater being closed. I know it has been said a number of times that all they had to do was plug the new show in and go. However, since the ending is allegedly different in each location, wouldn't they have to adjust the overall programing to include the WDW ending? Just a thought, but, I wonder if it could be to set that one up for WDW and have it ready to plug in overnight. The movie, the ride vehicles, the scents that fan speeds, etc. would have to be adjusted for the WDW ending. I still think that they have to locally do some adjusting to synchronize via riding the ride and making adjustments to the program.

Marc Davis Fan

Also, the old ride system lowered back to the floor during the last fireworks explosion and this one (unless it was just a fluke) stayed up until the screen changed to blue and then lowered. It just caught me off-guard since I'm so used to the old version...and it didn't seem as fluid.

I've been on the updated SoC at DCA, and in that one, the screen stays blue for the ascent and turns back to blue for the decent, rather than going dark during those moments. I assume it's the same at Epcot, and that's what it sounds like you're describing. I actually prefer it this way, because one can see how high one is being raised, and for me that adds to the experience (though I can understand others viewing it as detracting from the experience). I've noticed that in the SoTH video from Shanghai, it appears that the screen goes black on the descent, so the current "blue ascent/descent" at Epcot and DCA might be temporary...

I'm aware. I have however seen the pre-show for it :) It is essentially the same as it is now, except that the initial part with the clouds and the names of CA cities has been replaced with a video showing all the places that SATW goes to on a map.

That's interesting. I kind of like the idea of keeping the locations a surprise. But maybe it adds to the experience to know that you'll be taken all over the world...

halltd

I've been on the updated SoC at DCA, and in that one, the screen stays blue for the ascent and turns back to blue for the decent, rather than going dark during those moments. I assume it's the same at Epcot, and that's what it sounds like you're describing. I actually prefer it this way, because one can see how high one is being raised, and for me that adds to the experience (though I can understand others viewing it as detracting from the experience). I've noticed that in the SoTH video from Shanghai, it appears that the screen goes black on the descent, so the current "blue ascent/descent" at Epcot and DCA might be temporary...
Yeah I much prefer the ascent/descent in the dark as moving in the dark is more suspenseful to me...and thus feels greater than it really is. I hope when the new film comes online, it'll revert back to the old way.

KingOfEpicocity

Doing it in the dark adds to the 'how they'd do that' effect and is especially well integrated into the finale.

Weird that they messed with that

I do like seeing how it all works, but on the other hand, for the experience of the guest, it's best if they never know how it works. Makes it more magical and believable. But you have to give them praise for how darn quiet the beast is

halltd

Doing it in the dark adds to the 'how they'd do that' effect and is especially well integrated into the finale.

Weird that they messed with that
Yeah I still vividly remember my first ride on Soarin' back in '05 and thinking, "what the bleep just happened?". I was like, "uh, we were just on the ground, then up in the air, then back on the ground again." I was looking up and all over after the ride trying to figure it out until a CM asked me to leave. Ha ha.

KingOfEpicocity

Yeah I still vividly remember my first ride on Soarin' back in '05 and thinking, "what the bleep just happened?". I was like, "uh, we were just on the ground, then up in the air, then back on the ground again." I was looking up and all over after the ride trying to figure it out until a CM asked me to leave. Ha ha.
I got to sit on the far right of the middle back row last time I rode, and it's great because you can see the whole thing working. It's so beautifully smooth and silent.

JohnWD

Just went on Soarin' again. The standby line said 75 minutes. I was in the FP line - which was shorter than the last time (a few days ago). Concourse A was still not being used. I went on C this time - the new theater. As others have stated, the queue seems no different - a straight line until a 90 degree right, which brings you to the door queues.

The pre show again seemed the same with the same quality per my eyes.

This time I was on the far right kite seated again in the third row middle. The picture quality was great to my eyes. The ride movements seemed right on. It seemed like the breeze in my face was more pronounced. The scents were subtle but appropriate.

A great ride - one of my favorites. Can't wait for SATW, but that will have to be next year for me at WDW. I will see it a DLR sometime soon I'm sure.
Just went on again! Basically no change. 90 minute standby wait. Concourse A still closed BUT it is not covered up now, just a normal chain across it. Progress at least but I keep hoping to see A open.

When I first walked up, the standby wait indicated 110 minutes, then it changed to 90. When I got out, it then indicated 70.

Last edited:

azox

Hi Guys,

Just got back from a quick trip and wanted to report out on soarin. Concourse B and C are both open, A is still being worked on. I also wanted to report out how hard it was to get a ride on soarin this time. Both times we attempted to ride the ride we ran into technical difficulties. The first time all of the lights went out completely in the entire wing of soarin and we were given fast passes to come back. We then tried again a second day, we got onto the ride and then we were grounded due to technical issues in the new theater (concourse C). Again we were given fast passes to return. The third day we did have a nice flight on soarin, I love the new projection though I find it odd that they keep you suspended in front of the screen beyond the end of the video when the screen is all blue.

As a side note, one of the days when soarin went down we also were kicked off of test track because it too went down. At least mission space worked :)

No Name

Anyone know if SATW ends with a Disney Park? SDL's didn't.. I was a little disappointed! Unless they didn't debut the whole film yet? Perfect opportunity to fly over SDL!! It was thrilling flying over DL, Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe..In Holiday Magic!

I believe it will end with a park. They did flyovers of Epcot some time ago so I'd guess that Epcot's film will end with a flyover of Epcot. Not sure about DCA's.

They couldn't do a flyover of SDL for Soarin' Over the Horizon because the park was still under construction when the film was put together. I too would like a flyover of the park, but I suspect they have no plans to change it. The ride is popular there as is.

And only one theater has been working for some reason, so there have been wait times of over 4 hours. During trial operations. Four hours is crazy, they need to fix that. And fix Roaring Rapids. :facepalm:

KingOfEpicocity

I believe it will end with a park. They did flyovers of Epcot some time ago so I'd guess that Epcot's film will end with a flyover of Epcot. Not sure about DCA's.

They couldn't do a flyover of SDL for Soarin' Over the Horizon because the park was still under construction when the film was put together. I too would like a flyover of the park, but I suspect they have no plans to change it. The ride is popular there as is.

And only one theater has been working for some reason, so there have been wait times of over 4 hours. During trial operations. Four hours is crazy, they need to fix that. And fix Roaring Rapids. :facepalm:

Its that "monsterous" AA ;)

lazyboy97o

Disney's California Adventure was under construction when Soarin' Over California was produced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom