Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Goofyernmost

If that's the case I will gladly buy you a coffee at Fountainview when we finally meet.

Even if I'd prefer it to be in Odyssey.
I didn't say it would happen, I'm saying that perhaps that's what they think will happen just like they did when they first opened it. Surprise, surprise... miscalculation.

When did the Odyssey actually close up as a eatery? I remember going to it a few times, but, not many. My thought, at the time, was how big it was, but, I could be thinking of something else like the early days of Innovations.:confused:

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When did the Odyssey actually close up as a eatery? I remember going to it a few times, but, not many. My thought, at the time, was how big it was, but, I could be thinking of something else like the early days of Innovations.:confused:
1994-ish. Electric Umbrella had the upper floor added when it was converted from Stargate so they could close poor Odyssey.

No Name

I have to disagree with that (yes, I know.. big surprise). That is something that has been said over and over again about land vs. air, but, really.. it isn't just about flying, it's about flying over and observing the land under it. The different terrains, the different and varied things that the land affords us. Tell me, when riding it do you look up to see what is in the air above? Can't anyway because the design limits your look to the earth. It isn't really about hang gliding since very few hang gliders I have ever seen have bench seats and huge numbers of people suspended from one. Even the best of imaginations cannot possibly think that flying is what they are doing. What they are doing is experiencing the view of the "land" from a different perspective that we do not usually experience it. It far more belongs in "The Land" then any history of flight exhibit could possible make it fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't Soarin' over California have an actually hanger looking theme to it as well. It seems that when I saw it last (in 2005) it was totally nasty overhead. Dust an inch thick and all kinds of vents and pipes exposed. I don't even remember noticing what the ceiling in Epcot looks like. Wasn't my focus. Couldn't help but notice it in DCA.

I fully agree, I think it fits wonderfully in a pavilion about the land. It isn't focusing on avation, that's simply the form of travel. Using your example, should Living with the Land have been in a pavilion about boats, since it is a boat ride? No. Would Soarin have fit as an addition to the World of Motion pavilion, since you fly in a hang glider, a form of motion? No. What really matters is the focus of the ride, not the form of travel.

Besides for how it fits, I think that if it were it's own pavilion, it would've been set up like Mission Space. More of a ride than a full pavilion. I also think that, because the pavilion would've been a bit behind the others (right?) it may have suffered the same problem that Wonders of Life had, lower attendance.

I like the decision they made.

Not sure why that is important really. The greatest thing that they can do to enhance the queue was add the theater so you can spend less time in it.

As for your opinion on what changes the queue should get, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think queues are very important. Especially these days, you spend more time on them than you do on the ride. Also, boring queues typically lead people to play with their phones rather than enjoy their trip and socialize with others. That's bad. And no, social media does not count as socializing with others.

I like airports. If they want to theme that way, that's fine by me. But then actually make it look like an airport. Maybe that's what they're doing. But right now, the airport theme is simply an excuse.

Goofyernmost

I fully agree, I think it fits wonderfully in a pavilion about the land. It isn't focusing on avation, that's simply the form of travel. Using your example, should Living with the Land have been in a pavilion about boats, since it is a boat ride? No. Would Soarin have fit as an addition to the World of Motion pavilion, since you fly in a hang glider, a form of motion? No. What really matters is the focus of the ride, not the form of travel.

Besides for how it fits, I think that if it were it's own pavilion, it would've been set up like Mission Space. More of a ride than a full pavilion. I also think that, because the pavilion would've been a bit behind the others (right?) it may have suffered the same problem that Wonders of Life had, lower attendance.

As for your opinion on what changes the queue should get, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think queues are very important. Especially these days, you spend more time on them than you do on the ride. Also, boring queues typically lead people to play with their phones rather than enjoy their trip and socialize with others. That's bad. And no, social media does not count as socializing with others.

I like airports. If they want to theme that way, that's fine by me. But then actually make it look like an airport. Maybe that's what they're doing. But right now, the airport theme is simply an excuse.
I understand what your saying, but, I still feel that they didn't really know that Soarin' would use the massive amount of the queue and therefore didn't feel that it was necessary to go crazy about the queue. It turned out that way and because of that they have built another theater because they simply couldn't keep up with demand. Really, that whole area from the entrance to the actual identifiable queue is supposed to just be a path to the queue which is much closer to the attraction itself. That building is a long way away from the actual entrance. Due to the fact that in California they really emphasized the fact that it was a hanger with all the lack of wonderfulness that one might find in a hang gliding facility (not an airport) I'm pretty sure that was the same affect they were looking for in Florida. I'm much happier that they spent the money on a new theater, which I'm sure wasn't cheap, then to gussy up the pathway to the queue.

hpyhnt 1000

Brief aside...

Ever notice how The Land has a water boat ride whereas The (Living) Seas features a land based omnimover-like ride? I also find it funny that the US is flanked in World Showcase by the axis powers from WWII (Germany, Italy, and Japan). Some fun (maybe intentional) ironies of EPCOT Center.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

raymusiccity

The queue is spot on. It mirrors the TSA waiting times! After a few hours on line, you'll swear you're back at the airport!

Pam Hates Penguins

The queue is spot on. It mirrors the TSA waiting times! After a few hours on line, you'll swear you're back at the airport!

Identical!
Soarin.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom