Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

I'll miss Snow White's Scary Adventures. Too bad they didn't decide to theme the Dwarf mine ride to a different movie and keep the Scary Adventure ride, or build the Dwarf ride and still keep Scary Adventures.

MerlinTheGoat

I'll miss Snow White's Scary Adventures. Too bad they didn't decide to theme the Dwarf mine ride to a different movie and keep the Scary Adventure ride, or build the Dwarf ride and still keep Scary Adventures.

I'll miss it somewhat, though i'll wait until the Mine Train opens to pass judgement on whether we received a worthy replacement. I like what i see so far however in the new one. I admit that i rode DL Paris' Snow White ride and was rather spoiled. It's much better than either the original or newer Snow White's Adventures ride at WDW. They had ample opportunity to amp up WDW's version to something more like DL or DLP's when it was renovated in the 90's. But despite the changes, i feel it was somewhat lackluster of a redo.

My gripe is that they're not using the space for another ride. As much as i very much miss Mr Toad, at the very least it was replaced by another ride. And the ride that replaced it wasn't half bad either (technically more impressive). Though not as good as it could or should have been. Here though, they're just gutting perfectly good ride real estate for a Meet And Greet (that could exist elsewhere while not taking up as much space). I'd have liked to have seen another classic turned into a ride. Perhaps Sleeping Beauty, which would be unique and different.

I'm probably heading back up to WDW for several days tomorrow before my annual pass expires. Will give it a ride or two as a parting farewell.

Sort of offtopic, but my mom and i noticed something about the dungeon scene music (when the witch is brewing the potion). It's this tune from the original Disney film-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l9GJtM9lN-I#t=148s

The funny thing is that the music sounds a LOT like the background tune to "Pure Imagination" in Willy Wonka-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI
I once hummed that tune while that music was playing in the background in the ride. It went with it rather well lol! Pretty random i know, but it made me laugh.

britdaw

I'm really glad I'll get to ride this with my kids at least one more time before this is closed. We'll be coming at the end of March, so we'll make sure to take advantage of riding before it's closed. I'll be sad to see this one go! :(

aladdin2007

It would have been the perfect place/location and timing for a nice Tangled dark ride, that families of all ages girls and boys could enjoy together. but no. More princess stuff taking over. They should just build a princess park already. The castle is already consumed with it (miss the cool original shop inside) and now this. Not saying there shouldnt be a princess meetngreet somewhere, but using up viable attraction show building space is a dissapointment.

audiotinker

It would have been the perfect place/location and timing for a nice Tangled dark ride, that families of all ages girls and boys could enjoy together. but no. More princess stuff taking over. They should just build a princess park already. The castle is already consumed with it (miss the cool original shop inside) and now this. Not saying there shouldnt be a princess meetngreet somewhere, but using up viable attraction show building space is a dissapointment.

Completely agree. Tangled would be a nice addition (I really hope they do something good with that) and I feel like I'm the only person in the WORLD who loves P&TF!!! I mean... it's great! The music is great! Guess I'm the only one that wants to see more of that. The showboat jubilee is awesome, but I feel like it just isn't represented as much. They just stick with the "classics" so much I'm surprised they haven't come out with the Bambi ride where we're all being senselessly gunned down by hunters. But I digress... :lol:

disney fan 13

I don't really understand why they are replacing SWSA I mean I just don't get why they did not just update the effects and AA's, add a few other effects like at DL dust everything off and you have a quality dark ride...

Scuttle

I apologize if this has been talked about already. I just didn't feel like reading through 190 posts. So how is the autistic kid going to handle this? I think he's been on it like 30,000 times or something ridiculous like that. I feel bad for him and his parents. I wonder how his parents are going to explain this to him.

MerlinTheGoat

I apologize if this has been talked about already. I just didn't feel like reading through 190 posts. So how is the autistic kid going to handle this? I think he's been on it like 30,000 times or something ridiculous like that. I feel bad for him and his parents. I wonder how his parents are going to explain this to him.

I'm sure he'll be devastated at first. Though perhaps he'll get the opportunity to go on the ones at Disneyland or Disneyland Paris, both of which are the same ride but much better. Unless he's already been on those. Maybe he'll enjoy the new ride replacing it.

I'm going to miss the ride somewhat. The problem is that it wasn't really kept up to date that well. I thought the '94 redo was somewhat of an improvement, but they really missed the opportunity to bring it up to Disneyland or Paris standards. I'd miss it far more if it were as good as they are.

And i'm sad to say i even ran into a maintenance issue with even the simplest sort of effect last week when i gave it one last ride. The witch didn't quite swivel around properly when she transformed into the old hag, she was tilted back and looked very awkward. And she's one of the few moving parts on the ride in the first place. I doubt they're going to bother with maintenance much since it's closing soon as well.

I just wish they wouldn't waste such space on a meet and greet and build another dark ride such as Sleeping Beauty. That's my primary gripe with this. What a waste. I'm also starting to get a little worried that the new coaster replacing it won't be as nice as originally planned. I saw Lee mentioning recently how the ride's designs have been majorly scaled back. I hope the budget hasn't been mutilated and it still ends up a worthy replacement...:brick:

Cosmic Commando

That was literally the first thing I thought of! His mom actually posted somewhere close to the beginning of the thread. Maybe post 30 or so. He's slowly starting to become interested in other areas of the park, but I'm sure it will still be a difficult transition.

Lokheed

Well, it's gonna be tough. Especially the first time we are in the park after it closes. Two years ago I would have said it is going to be a disaster. But the good news is, although he still loves the ride and goes on it every time we are in the part it is no longer his *first* destination. It used to be that he pretty much never wanted to leave Fantasyland. Now he walks all over the park. He loves Pirates, he loves the Peoplemover, mostly he just really likes walking around the entire park.

We plan on taking him on the night of May 31st and saying goodbye to he ride. He does not understand at all that it is closing, but at least we can make a big ceremony out of it and hopefully that will help.

I have a couple of good ridethrough audio recordings, plus a ridethrough video of the time that Snow White herself went on the ride with him. He still has a photo album from the last time the ride was closed for rehab - one of the cast members actually walked the ride path after the park was closed and took extensive pictures of the entire ride and then gave Ben the photo album as a gift.

What I would really love is to be able to get all of the actual audio cues from the ride and put them on his iPod. If any of you out there are Imagineers, or know some, I would surely love to talk to you.

He is currently at 3,321 rides. I doubt if he will get to 3,350 before the ride closes for good.

I know that he is going to absolutely love the new Little Mermaid ride once it opens, so I think that will be a fair trade.

the-reason14

I'm sure he'll be devastated at first. Though perhaps he'll get the opportunity to go on the ones at Disneyland or Disneyland Paris, both of which are the same ride but much better. Unless he's already been on those. Maybe he'll enjoy the new ride replacing it.

I'm going to miss the ride somewhat. The problem is that it wasn't really kept up to date that well. I thought the '94 redo was somewhat of an improvement, but they really missed the opportunity to bring it up to Disneyland or Paris standards. I'd miss it far more if it were as good as they are.

And i'm sad to say i even ran into a maintenance issue with even the simplest sort of effect last week when i gave it one last ride. The witch didn't quite swivel around properly when she transformed into the old hag, she was tilted back and looked very awkward. And she's one of the few moving parts on the ride in the first place. I doubt they're going to bother with maintenance much since it's closing soon as well.

I just wish they wouldn't waste such space on a meet and greet and build another dark ride such as Sleeping Beauty. That's my primary gripe with this. What a waste. I'm also starting to get a little worried that the new coaster replacing it won't be as nice as originally planned. I saw Lee mentioning recently how the ride's designs have been majorly scaled back. I hope the budget hasn't been mutilated and it still ends up a worthy replacement...:brick:

I agree. I hate how they're getting rid of a ride for a meet n greet. I know everyone's different and go for their own reasons, but to me I rather have more rides and I think everyone would in the long run. They could of put a tent up somewhere and put the princess there. As big as MK is to DL, it should utilize it's space more effectively. If it's such a huge tragedy to have two rides in one land/park/resort based off the same movie, then why couldn't they convert it over to the pinocchio ride that's in DL? I didn't get to ride it when I was there back in 09 because it was down for a refurb, but from what I've seen it uses a similar car. Swapping a ride for a ride, and putting the princess in a nicely themed tent, win win imo.

aladdin2007

I would love to see Pinnochio here. Anyone know regarding the budget for the Princesss meetngreet? Could that same amount of money have gone towards a new dark ride in place of snow white if they were going to keep the same track? Just wondering about the comparison of money it would take between projects. Meetngreet is a retrofit shoehorn in, a new dark ride would have been about the same, sooo in comparing which would really have cost more?

Princess7

I'm looking forward to the mine train but I will miss Snow White. I will be up there in a few weeks and plan on riding it with the kids, and taking pictures of them on it, before it's gone forever.

I would love to see Pinnochio here. Anyone know regarding the budget for the Princesss meetngreet? Could that same amount of money have gone towards a new dark ride in place of snow white if they were going to keep the same track? Just wondering about the comparison of money it would take between projects. Meetngreet is a retrofit shoehorn in, a new dark ride would have been about the same, sooo in comparing which would really have cost more?

I faintly remember hearing it was about $30 million to convert the superstar limo ride to a monsters inc ride in DCA back in 2005. So if that's the case compare that number to how much this meet and greet thing costs...

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Just a reminder to locals, this is two weeks away. If you haven't paid your last respects, time is running out. I got an email yesterday for Florida residents and was shocked to see the date was coming up quick.

Lokheed

We will be there on the 31st, all evening and right up to close. Working with Disney to create some kind of special moment for Ben, although he truly does not understand the concept that his ride is going away forever. We are really dreading the first visit to the park after the ride closes. I hope they put up construction walls right away, because it will be much easier to deal with him if there are visible walls up around the ride, as opposed to it just not operating.

Jakester

We will be there on the 31st, all evening and right up to close. Working with Disney to create some kind of special moment for Ben, although he truly does not understand the concept that his ride is going away forever. We are really dreading the first visit to the park after the ride closes. I hope they put up construction walls right away, because it will be much easier to deal with him if there are visible walls up around the ride, as opposed to it just not operating.

Do you think they will do some formal closing?
and Im almost certain by 9am June 1st, there will be walls around it.
Hope he deals with it well, and that he enjoys the new Mine Ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom