Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

lebeau

Yes, but in reality it is the same.

Reality is perception. To you, it's the same. To my daughters (and therefore to me) it's not remotely the same.

The only reason it's different than Santa for them is because Santa's a man, they see Santa every year at the mall, and because they can dress up.

Uh, no. For one, Santa scares the heck out of a lot of kids. Most of the pictures I have of my kids with Santa one of them is crying.

The process is exactly the same. You wait in line for an hour and then you get to talk to Santa for 1 minute and get your picture taken. That's the truth.

We could argue all day, but a character is not a character. Some characters (even within the Disney parks) are more popular than others. It may not matter to you, but it matters to others.

Once again, the biggest problem I have is that they could wait until the new one is completed to do this and they're not.

That's a relatively small problem. So, you are fine with what they are doing, just not the timetable. Since Disney knows the details of what is being done when and why, I'm going to assume they have a better understanding of the timetable than you.

So, it sounds like you really don't have much of a problem with this at all.

Does anyone know if they plan on reopening the old walkway to Toontown behind the speedway from TommorowLand that winds around near the railroad tracks? Last month the signs on there still said Toontown Fair.

Based on the aerial views this walkway is staying - not that it ever gets used...I like it though, it's a nice peaceful walk between the two areas.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry, can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

You're not making any sense if you are. The average guest wants more meet and greets, so let's have more. The average guest likes rides, so let's get rid of them.:shrug:
Yes, I was being sarcastic. I will try this one more time. Guests want lots of different things. They want attractions, restaurants, stores, pretty scenery and yes, meet n greets. Those meet n greets have to go somewhere and sometimes replacing an attraction with a meet n greet is the right thing to do for Disney. In this particular case we had a choice...brand new meet n greet and keep and old outdated ride or get a brand new attraction and stick the meet n greet in a ride building. The net result will be a better attraction and a less obvious meet n greet.

lebeau

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I will try this one more time. Guests want lots of different things. They want attractions, restaurants, stores, pretty scenery and yes, meet n greets. Those meet n greets have to go somewhere and sometimes replacing an attraction with a meet n greet is the right thing to do for Disney. In this particular case we had a choice...brand new meet n greet and keep and old outdated ride or get a brand new attraction and stick the meet n greet in a ride building. The net result will be a better attraction and a less obvious meet n greet.

I don't know how this could be any clearer. And yet, I'll add to it because I can't help myself.

If Disney replaced all rides with meet and greets, that would be a mistake. If they get carried away with replacing rides with meet and greets, that would be a mistake. But in this one single instance, it makes sense.

They are replacing a ride that scares little children and yet doesn't hold a lot of appeal for most other age groups. They are actually replacing it with a ride that will have broader appeal and the same general theme. The meet and greet will be taking up the empty space left by the old dark ride that never fully served its purpose.

Both new additions will be extremely popular and please a lot of guests. A relatively small number of guests will miss the old dark ride largely due to nostalgia.

ToTBellHop

My only problem with this is that there was a 3rd option not considered b/c it cost more--keep the existing SWSA, build the new mine ride, and build a new Princess Meet and Greet (thus making this feel a little bit more like the "largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history). As it is, the "largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history" will end up giving us two new (albeit good--but not E-ticket) attractions at the expense of one old attraction, a restaurant (when there are currently 3-4 major dining locations closed in the park), and lots of pretty walkways with sometimes-functional waterfalls. The only thing particularly impressive about it all is the cost.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They are popular relative to capacity, there's a huge difference.
The fact remains that they are still popular. I am sure you are well aware of how little park management likes these things. Do you honestly think the would build them unless they had to?

PeoplemoverTTA

Like I have said many times, TDO hates the things. They would not be building them is there was not a demand for them.

I definitely understand the cost differential, but I think the real money here is made in merchandise, which easily offsets the additional cost. So in that regard, TDO must adore meet and greets.

Princesses (and characters tied to recent movies) make money, so in my opinion removing rides for meet in greets still feels like a money grab when you look at the big picture.

LaughingGravy

I'm sad to see this ride go.. and also what is the first phase consist of? I Mean whats opening in March>

A newly constructed wall (with lights!) and a new artists rendering on the wall with possibly the re-opening of a pre-existing spinner ride in a different place.
If we are lucky, also the re-opening of a little re-themed coaster, also moved, I think.
Oh...and a meet and greet...that will empty into a princess store.

audiotinker

I personally was hoping for a Tangled or Princess and the Frog version. Hard to believe they are scrapping the whole ride for a m&g. What sense does that make? We don't need that area to be as crazy as Pixar place. It's nuts-o over there. We just got back on Sat. and you couldn't even walk through that area. Shuffle... shuffle... shuffle.. "Ooh, barrel of monkeys!" Shuffle... shuffle... "Ooh, barrel of... wait." :lookaroun

A newly constructed wall (with lights!) and a new artists rendering on the wall with possibly the re-opening of a pre-existing spinner ride in a different place.
If we are lucky, also the re-opening of a little re-themed coaster, also moved, I think.

It's not too much of a stretch to consider Dumbo a new attraction of sorts. With this new queue it should add quite a bit to the ride.

The barnstormer also has not moved.

My only problem with this is that there was a 3rd option not considered b/c it cost more--keep the existing SWSA, build the new mine ride, and build a new Princess Meet and Greet (thus making this feel a little bit more like the "largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history). As it is, the "largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history" will end up giving us two new (albeit good--but not E-ticket) attractions at the expense of one old attraction, a restaurant (when there are currently 3-4 major dining locations closed in the park), and lots of pretty walkways with sometimes-functional waterfalls. The only thing particularly impressive about it all is the cost.

I don't think you can have two rides featuring snow white right next to each other so that part of the option couldn't be done - not that I'm a huge fan of the meet and greet replacing SW.

I knew this was coming, but I am still sad to see it go. This was one ride we could all ride together. This has been a must do for us on every trip. We knew last summer that that trip it might be our last go round on Snow White. I also don't buy the whole 'you're getting the mine train ride' as not everyone will be able to ride the mine train, while everyone could ride this ride...even if it scared the heck out of them.

This will definitely not be an intense ride, so I'm still thinking that all of your family can ride it. From everything I seem to read and hear it seems like a less intense barnstormer:)

3WaltFans

I will be a sad day in our house as Snow White is our daughters favorite princess.

I wish I would have know this when we were their in Aug 2011, I would of taken more pics at the time.

Anyway it was a great ride!!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Someone enlighten me. M&Gs obviously have higher labor costs than rides do, but they also don't have the number of moving parts that have to be maintained. How do the labor costs of a M&G compare to the maintenance budget of a ride?

You have at least twice the number of CMs, maybe even three times and I would venture to guess that with labor costs it's way more expensive than the basic aspects of SWSA. But that's just a guess and not based on anything than a guess.

NX2I85

When I go to WDW in April I'm going to ride Snow White like she was a... oh, wait a sec. That doesn't sound nice at all.

I will enjoy the attraction many times over during my last chance to experience it. Anything less than 10 times round will be a fail. Thanks for the memories. SWSA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom