Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

TalkingHead

That's part of the charm of some of Disney's attractions.

The wait time at SW was always lower because the queue was so small. Once it fills up, people just pass it by. It's not like Peter Pan or Pooh that goes on for miles.

:lol: Right, SW would've been much more popular with a longer queue...just like the current Journey into Imagination ride. That queue is always full!

The ride isn't popular because it's dusty and outdated.

jayhawkmickey

Then they should stop doing so many new ones. They're not needed. I don't care how popular they are, I never see as many people in line for them as I do for Peter Pan.

You should have to wait in line for the darn fairies sometime, the pan line is nothing. I'd like a ride, but a nice air conditioned space to stand that's out of the weather for meeting the characters would be better than the hot humid rainy day we met Rapunzal. We looked like we had just been pulled out of the ocean in our pictures. Don't forget 20,000 leagues was one ride in this same area. When they are done there will be five rides and more attractions if you count both dumbos. Seems like a better use of the space even though I wish we still had 20,000 leagues.

TalkingHead

The ride is unpopular with those who are imaginationally challenged.

Which ride, Snow White or Imagination? Maybe they're both great rides for the imaginationally advanced. Maybe they're both largely viewed as disappointments.

I doubt there's going to be a "Save Toad" campaign for Snow White, though, which says something about its popularity.

HMButler79

Which ride, Snow White or Imagination? Maybe they're both great rides for the imaginationally advanced. Maybe they're both largely viewed as disappointments.

I doubt there's going to be a "Save Toad" campaign for Snow White, though, which says something about its popularity.

If it was the original '71 Claude Coats/Tony Baxter freak show, ...probably...YES. If that version was still running it would prob have a cult following simply due to it's subversive darkness like Toad and AE had. But now.....

docnabox

The fact remains that they are still popular. I am sure you are well aware of how little park management likes these things. Do you honestly think the would build them unless they had to?

They HAVE TO? Really, they MUST? I don't buy that. As far as I am aware, the park existed for decades without dedicated M&G and it did just fine. someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This basically boils down to a money decision. While there might be higher ongoing labor costs with a character interaction, I would imagine the set up costs initially are far less. Add to that the increase merchandise sales and you get a faster return on your investment. So, it isn't that they have to, it is that they choose to. If we follow the line of thought that they HAVE TO, then the rumored talk of it sometime, someday, who knows when being replaced with another dark ride is just bunk. They won't be able to do that because they CAN'T, they just CAN'T. After all, the 95% of families that you cited as wanting M&G's will never return if it goes away.

I guess I am just of a different generation or my upbringing was significantly different than most. When we went to the parks when I was a kid, my parents were not about to waste time and the money they spent on me being able to see a character. My mother would walk me past them and I never gave them a second thought. In fact, when I got to be around 8, I went with an aunt who asked me if I wanted to stand in line to see Mickey and I can remember thinking she must be nuts - I was there to ride rides. I feel the same about play areas. If I had wanted to play on one, my mother would have taken me to the playground at my school. Water play areas? there was a pool at the hotel or better yet, save the money, stay at home and use the sprinkler in the backyard.

But of course, I am also the one person on the planet that has never ridden Dumbo much for the same reason. My mother is long gone but if I was to suppose what she was thinking if I asked to ride Dumbo as a kid, it would be something like, "You want me to stand in that line with you to go around in a circle in a plastic elephant? I don't think so!!" :ROFLOL:

captainkidd

:lol: Right, SW would've been much more popular with a longer queue...just like the current Journey into Imagination ride. That queue is always full!

The ride isn't popular because it's dusty and outdated.

You just proved my point. JII isn't dusty or outdated in the least and there's never a wait for it. Being dusty (which Snow White isn't) or outdated (which it is, but so is Peter Pan) doesn't make a ride unpopular.

Pass through Fantasyland anywhere from 12:00 to 5:00PM and tell me if the SW line isn't completely full.

TalkingHead

You just proved my point. JII isn't dusty or outdated in the least and there's never a wait for it. Being dusty (which Snow White isn't) or outdated (which it is, but so is Peter Pan) doesn't make a ride unpopular.

Pass through Fantasyland anywhere from 12:00 to 5:00PM and tell me if the SW line isn't completely full.

Try to follow your argument:

You claimed Snow White isn't more popular because its queue is short.

My point is the length of the queue has nothing to do with Snow White's lack of popularity.

As to whether or not Snow White is dusty, outdated, and unpopular, I guess the masses have spoken.

Bottom line: The ride apparently will close not with a bang, but a whimper. :xmas:

lebeau

They HAVE TO? Really, they MUST? I don't buy that. As far as I am aware, the park existed for decades without dedicated M&G and it did just fine.

Times changed. Guests expect and demand dedicated m&gs now.

someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This basically boils down to a money decision. While there might be higher ongoing labor costs with a character interaction, I would imagine the set up costs initially are far less. Add to that the increase merchandise sales and you get a faster return on your investment.

I am sure money is a factor, yes. That's been part of my argument all along as to why this isn't some crazy decision that makes no sense. It makes perfect sense for a number of reasons. Money is certainly one of the main ones.

So, it isn't that they have to, it is that they choose to.

They really do have to offer m&gs. There would be long lines at City Hall to complain if they did away with the m&gs.

Disney just chooses how, when and where to do them. And yes, they choose to maximize their profit. They are a business.

If we follow the line of thought that they HAVE TO, then the rumored talk of it sometime, someday, who knows when being replaced with another dark ride is just bunk. They won't be able to do that because they CAN'T, they just CAN'T. After all, the 95% of families that you cited as wanting M&G's will never return if it goes away.

Nobody said anything of the sort.

Do I expect a dark ride to replace the Princess Fantasy Faire? Not any time soon. But just because Disney has to do meet and greets, that doesn't mean any one particular m&g location is essential to the continued existence of the resort.

You're taking what was said and twisting it horribly.

I guess I am just of a different generation or my upbringing was significantly different than most.

Oh, here we go! :rolleyes:

When we went to the parks when I was a kid, my parents were not about to waste time and the money they spent on me being able to see a character. My mother would walk me past them and I never gave them a second thought. In fact, when I got to be around 8, I went with an aunt who asked me if I wanted to stand in line to see Mickey and I can remember thinking she must be nuts - I was there to ride rides. I feel the same about play areas. If I had wanted to play on one, my mother would have taken me to the playground at my school. Water play areas? there was a pool at the hotel or better yet, save the money, stay at home and use the sprinkler in the backyard.

And you had to walk uphill both ways to get on Space Mountain, right?

It has nothing to do with a generational thing. There were kids (presumably members of your generation) in line to see Mickey even in your own account. It's a "you" thing. You were apparently raised with an anti-character bias.

While I agree that rides are the big ticket item, that doesn't mean I want a steady diet of them. If I go to a buffet, I don't just eat the most expensive item offered. I'll sample other things as well.

The play areas are great if you have kids. It lets them burn off some pent up energy and lets you get a break from the exhausting commando life. Yeah, ?I feel a little silly watching my kid on a slide which is not all that different from what we have at the park at home. But I know that time spent at the play area makes everyone's day more enjoyable.

You don't like 'em, walk past 'em. But they are there for a reason. Lots of guests enjoy them.

But of course, I am also the one person on the planet that has never ridden Dumbo much for the same reason. My mother is long gone but if I was to suppose what she was thinking if I asked to ride Dumbo as a kid, it would be something like, "You want me to stand in that line with you to go around in a circle in a plastic elephant? I don't think so!!" :ROFLOL:

That's a very, very practical standpoint which misses a big part of the charm of the Disney experience. But hey, whatever works for you. Personally, I wouldn't even bother going to MK if that was my outlook.

Once again, what's wrong with Town Square Theater...

I think what's wrong with it is that it's still not ideal. The princesses occur in fairytales, not right on main street. If we're looking at this based on an immersive experience, fantasyland is the place they need to be - not in the circus or on main street or in liberty square - fantasyland. People have mentioned before that the princesses were in toontown so why not have them somewhere else and I think that misses the point. Just because they had placed characters in a location that had nothing to do with them doesn't justify them in doing the same thing now. They're finally placing the princesses where they should go, in fantasyland. While I personally would rather have a new, different dark ride there and throw the princesses somewhere else, I will hold true that the princesses don't belong in Town Square or the Circus long term.

HMF

I know many here don't see it as a "major" attraction, but for me it is since it's in my WDW Top 10 and I actually prefer it over most of the "E-tickets".

As others have said, I'm happy Disneyland will still have this ride, although theirs does not have the elaborate payoff of the MK version's "Happily Ever After" scene, which is my favorite part of the ride.

On the bright side, I'm glad to finally know the timeframe for the closure so I can plan to get my last rides in, not just for Snow White, but for WDW in general - at least for a LONG time.

I'm also glad it is closing after the 24 Hour Leap Day, so I can experience it; and soon after the Fastpass changes, so I'll only have to deal with those for a few months.

I'm also glad it is closing before my AP comes up for renewal, so I will only have to suffer the indignity of renewing it once after the closure of my beloved Toontown, rather than twice!

It's been fun, WDW, it was a good ride, but as of May 31, 2012, I'll be heading west for greener pastures!

Adieu WDW, Hello Disneyland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDxk4XadC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4zKmVuZOI

The Disneyland one is better anyway and has been for 30 years.

HMF

I don't think you can have two rides featuring snow white right next to each other so that part of the option couldn't be done - not that I'm a huge fan of the meet and greet replacing SW.

By that logic, can we turn the Alice in Wonderland Dark Ride at Disneyland into a meet & greet too? After all there is another Alice based attraction (Mad Tea Party) right next to it.

HMButler79

Times changed. Guests expect and demand dedicated m&gs now.

Because TDO inoctrinated guests over years to think this is a MAJOR park experience akin to riding an E Ticket

They really do have to offer m&gs. There would be long lines at City Hall to complain if they did away with the m&gs.

EXCUSE ME? MK survived from 1971-1996 without them and we didn't turn into flames or cry because they werent there. Gimme a break. Again TDO, on purpose, CONDITIONED the guest to expect to make money

Disney just chooses how, when and where to do them. And yes, they choose to maximize their profit. They are a business.

Because that was totally the reason Walt made the parks in the first place :rolleyes:

CountryBearFan

They HAVE TO? Really, they MUST? I don't buy that. As far as I am aware, the park existed for decades without dedicated M&G and it did just fine. someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This basically boils down to a money decision. While there might be higher ongoing labor costs with a character interaction, I would imagine the set up costs initially are far less. Add to that the increase merchandise sales and you get a faster return on your investment. So, it isn't that they have to, it is that they choose to. If we follow the line of thought that they HAVE TO, then the rumored talk of it sometime, someday, who knows when being replaced with another dark ride is just bunk. They won't be able to do that because they CAN'T, they just CAN'T. After all, the 95% of families that you cited as wanting M&G's will never return if it goes away.

I guess I am just of a different generation or my upbringing was significantly different than most. When we went to the parks when I was a kid, my parents were not about to waste time and the money they spent on me being able to see a character. My mother would walk me past them and I never gave them a second thought. In fact, when I got to be around 8, I went with an aunt who asked me if I wanted to stand in line to see Mickey and I can remember thinking she must be nuts - I was there to ride rides. I feel the same about play areas. If I had wanted to play on one, my mother would have taken me to the playground at my school. Water play areas? there was a pool at the hotel or better yet, save the money, stay at home and use the sprinkler in the backyard.

The reason they create dedicated meet-and-greets today is because guests want a way to find certain characters and that they would be guaranteed to meet them.

It's also because it's a way to make sure that everybody gets to spend an equal amount of time interacting with a character without other guests pushing and shoving. And it decreases any chances of characters recieving physical abuse from guests.

Things like the pushing, shoving, abuse, etc. were very frequent in the old days and would probably get even worse today.

There has been absolutely no "conditioning" involved whatsoever!

captainkidd

Try to follow your argument:

You claimed Snow White isn't more popular because its queue is short.

My point is the length of the queue has nothing to do with Snow White's lack of popularity.

As to whether or not Snow White is dusty, outdated, and unpopular, I guess the masses have spoken.

Bottom line: The ride apparently will close not with a bang, but a whimper. :xmas:

What masses? Disney fans who have no say in what TDO does?:confused:

docnabox

The reason they create dedicated meet-and-greets today is because guests want a way to find certain characters and that they would be guaranteed to meet them.

It's also because it's a way to make sure that everybody gets to spend an equal amount of time interacting with a character without other guests pushing and shoving. And it decreases any chances of characters recieving physical abuse from guests.

Things like the pushing, shoving, abuse, etc. were very frequent in the old days and would probably get even worse today.

There has been absolutely no "conditioning" involved whatsoever!

I understand why they have them and those reasons are part of the reason why and honestly, I can understand them. But that does not mean that this location is a suitable place for one and obviously from the number of posts from others on this topic, I am not the only one. For those that feel like this is a grand idea, I am sure it is going to be very special. For those that don't think it is so spectacular a concept, it seems like a waste of space that could have been better utilized. In the end, it doesn't really matter, they are building it and as Lebeau so succinctly instructed me to do, I will just keep walking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom