Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

aladdin2007

DL has five classic dark rides in it's FL 'courtyard' - Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, Toad and Alice. A bit further in the park, they have Pooh and Small World too. And Roger Rabbit in Toontown plus Mermaid in DCA. That's nine classic dark rides.

The MK will have IASW, Pan, Pooh and Mermaid.

We're being had.

And they have the monsters inc dark ride. So yeah we are being had when it comes to dark rides.

Schema

Lokheed, my wife and I read your story about the 2000th ride a while back. Your son's story was the first thing we thought of when it was announced that the Snow White's Scary Adventure ride was going to be replaced. I'm very happy to hear that Disney is doing something for him!! We actually wrote a "to whom it may concern" letter shortly after the announcement recommending that they try to do something special him. It is really great to hear that they are.

menamechris

I will be in MK on the 31st for the closing. Very sad. I enjoy the classic rides and would like to see them stay. Add a meet and great, don't take away to do it.
Disney certainly has the money and space for both.

Me too! I plan to get in line just before park closing to take one of the last rides...

puntagordabob

Falls prey to the Meet and Greet?
More like falls prey to old technology and substandard effects. It's being upgraded to a bigger and better ride. A meet & greet got moved to its old spot. This is not an additional meet & greet, its a move. Remember it's a theme park not a museum.

Remember this is an Attraction space....and it should have been reimagined into another dark ride...not some lame Meet and Greet that could have gone somewhere else....

Lokheed

The ride is currently called Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Correct. The version in Tokyo is just called "Snow White's Adventures", but the other three currently operating version of the ride are all called "Snow White's Scary Adventures". The WDW version was called just "Snow White's Adventures" from the time the park opened up until the 1994 rehab, when it was made substantially less scary but had the word "Scary" added to the title.

aladdin2007

Remember this is an Attraction space....and it should have been reimagined into another dark ride...not some lame Meet and Greet that could have gone somewhere else....

Agree with you all the way there, but it seems now that Disney considers meet n greets to be attractions. :brick:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agree with you all the way there, but it seems now that Disney considers meet n greets to be attractions. :brick:
Not really. As a general rule park management hates the things because their labor rates are through the roof and their guests per hour rate is quite low. They exist for one reason. The lion share of guests waling through the gates every day want them.

puntagordabob

Not really. As a general rule park management hates the things because their labor rates are through the roof and their guests per hour rate is quite low. They exist for one reason. The lion share of guests waling through the gates every day want them.

They should of put an artificial flooring over the ride and closed in the rest that couldnt be covered...and then in time remove the meet and greet and reimagine a new dark ride with the exisiting track....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They should of put an artificial flooring over the ride and closed in the rest that couldnt be covered...and then in time remove the meet and greet and reimagine a new dark ride with the exisiting track....
They probably will do something similar to that, but I would not count on it becoming a dark ride again until there is another location that can replace it.

aladdin2007

That was the plan I thought too, but then I read recently that the track is going to be ripped out, so...:shrug:

COProgressFan

I know you've said this before, and it's true to some degree, as TDO clearly would rather not pay the labor.

But they cost virtually nothing to set up or create. Minimal upfront capital, and...voila, you can promote a new "experience" for guests. It would take decades of paying for the labor of meet 'n greets before you'd ever come close to the cost of building, and then maintaining, a new attraction. Why do you think Rasulo wanted meet 'n greets as part of the FLE rather than the mine train ride?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know you've said this before, and it's true to some degree, as TDO clearly would rather not pay the labor.

But they cost virtually nothing to set up or create. Minimal upfront capital, and...voila, you can promote a new "experience" for guests. It would take decades of paying for the labor of meet 'n greets before you'd ever come close to the cost of building, and then maintaining, a new attraction. Why do you think Rasulo wanted meet 'n greets as part of the FLE rather than the mine train ride?
It depends on the attraction. If you are talking about something on the order of Big Thunder then you would be correct. A dark ride similar to Snow White is incredibly inexpensive to build and maintain. Well themed Meet n Greets also have a good bit more in them from a construction standpoint than you think and the maintenance on them is pretty high. If you have kids you have experienced first hand how just 2 of them can destroy a house in the blink of an eye. Now imagine a space where a few thousand a day make their way through. Imagine all of those sticky fingers on the walls and all that popcorn and coke that will be ground into the floor. Right now just the queue on Snow White needs a good daily scrubbing. When it turns into a meet n greet every square inch of the place will need a good daily cleaning.

Clever Name

I’ve seen traveling carnivals that have better dark rides than Snow White’s Scary Adventures. WDW can only look back upon this attraction with shame. The sooner it joins Mr. Toad the better. This is a step in the right direction! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom