Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

Lokheed

Do you think they will do some formal closing?
Because my son has ridden it so many times (3,423 times as of last weekend), they are going to do something special for him either just before he goes on or just after he goes off for the last ride. We are still working that out. (Disney has been absolutely awesome to my son over the years, and I can't thank them enough for all of the amazingly kind things they have done for him.)
and Im almost certain by 9am June 1st, there will be walls around it.
Hope he deals with it well, and that he enjoys the new Mine Ride
It will be a great relief if the construction walls are up right away. It's still going to be hard, but at least when there's a physical barrier it will be clear to him why he can't go on.

I don't think he is going to like the mine ride at all (but he may surprise me), but I am sure he is going to *love* the new Little Mermaid ride when it opens.

montyz81

:rolleyes:

Yes, I get that Snow White is getting a new ride. But sacrificing a ride space for a meet and greet is dumb, especially when there's a meet and greet space already in the FLE in the Circus. Or space where the Skyway station was.

I didn't want the ride to stay as is. But an new dark ride based on a different franchise is preferable to yet another meet and greet only area.

And the "museum" quote is so tiresome.:hurl:
If you had Wings! I'd go on that ride over and over again! This time, use Honda to sponsor it and they could use the Honda Jet to base the ride cars on.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'll be at the World next week with my 77-yo mom. Snow White is her favorite character, but she really doesn't like "scary" rides, and her threshold for "scary" is pretty darn low. She's been to WDW before (first trip was for her 65th bday!) and I've never made her go on SWSA, but now I'm torn, just because it's never going to be there again...

Vernonpush

We will be there on the 31st, all evening and right up to close. Working with Disney to create some kind of special moment for Ben, although he truly does not understand the concept that his ride is going away forever. We are really dreading the first visit to the park after the ride closes. I hope they put up construction walls right away, because it will be much easier to deal with him if there are visible walls up around the ride, as opposed to it just not operating.

Do you think they will do some formal closing?
and Im almost certain by 9am June 1st, there will be walls around it.
Hope he deals with it well, and that he enjoys the new Mine Ride

Because my son has ridden it so many times (3,423 times as of last weekend), they are going to do something special for him either just before he goes on or just after he goes off for the last ride. We are still working that out. (Disney has been absolutely awesome to my son over the years, and I can't thank them enough for all of the amazingly kind things they have done for him.)

It will be a great relief if the construction walls are up right away. It's still going to be hard, but at least when there's a physical barrier it will be clear to him why he can't go on.

I don't think he is going to like the mine ride at all (but he may surprise me), but I am sure he is going to *love* the new Little Mermaid ride when it opens.

Ben was my first thought when I heard that they were going to close the ride. I am so glad that they "are doing something special for him". Please let us know how everyone does with this 'transition'.

TropicalFig8

I'm so sad this is going. I only got to ride this once and my friend is going to there on the 31st.
Oh well,I hope the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is a great attraction.

Vernonpush

I DO have to say that the Disneyland version in CA is SO much better than the FL version. From the highly detailed queue to the ride it is good to know that the "BEST" version is still alive. Hopefully Ben's parents could be able to take him to the greatest version someday.
I find it interesting that Disneyland is so cramped for space, yet they have "room enough" to keep these Classic Favoites still running.

Lokheed

Well, bear in mind that the Disneyland version (as well as the versions in Paris and Tokyo) only run about two minutes, whereas the WDW version runs three minutes. Also, the other three versions are much more properly scare rides. Have you seen the one in Tokyo (or watched a ridethrough video)? It's scary as heck. Of the four currently operating versions of the ride, the WDW version is the only one that actually has a narrative to match the movie and uses audio queues that are drawn almost exclusively from the movie's soundtrack.

I will say that the set work in the other versions is nicer, particularly through the mines with the glowing sparkly jewels, whereas the WDW version is almost entirely flat paintings with just a few figures here and there.

I do hope to take Ben to other parks someday. A few years ago the thought of taking him on an airplane was terrifying, but he has reached the point where I think he would do ok. A trip to Disneyland might be nice, and I know he would enjoy the much longer version of Pirates there.

awilliams4

I read your 2k (2,000 Ride) post years ago (has it been that long) and I was thinking about you and your son the 1st time I read this ride was closing. I am very happy for you that Disney is doing something special.

Vader2112

We will be there on the 31st, all evening and right up to close. Working with Disney to create some kind of special moment for Ben, although he truly does not understand the concept that his ride is going away forever. We are really dreading the first visit to the park after the ride closes. I hope they put up construction walls right away, because it will be much easier to deal with him if there are visible walls up around the ride, as opposed to it just not operating.
Who have you been ion contact with?

scottnj1966

Everything is proportional. Yes you need people to run Space Mountain, but ride operators also come at a lower cost than face characters. Also, Space Mountain gets a lot of people through per hour which makes the cost per guest far less than a meet and greet.

I'm sorry but rides cost much more to operate than a meet a great.
I dont see you factoring the maintenance workers, they make much more then the operators, plus the cost of the maintenance itself, and when parts break, which they do alot, cost even more.

That is just one other part of the costs. Rides have many others.

Lokheed

Who have you been ion contact with?
I have an acquaintance who is an area manager over at Epcot, and he has contacted his counterparts at the Magic Kingdom. I just spoke to my Epcot friend on the phone yesterday morning, and I expect to hear from the MK people shortly.

If you have better contacts or ideas, please let me know. You can send me a private message here and I will be happy to give you my direct contact info.

There is also a documentary filmmaker who is coming down for the closing. He filmed some interviews with me last year, and he will be doing some more interviews while he is in town for the closing. He also intends to come down again in a few months to do a final follow up to see how Ben is doing in the aftermath of the closure.

Vader2112

I have an acquaintance who is an area manager over at Epcot, and he has contacted his counterparts at the Magic Kingdom. I just spoke to my Epcot friend on the phone yesterday morning, and I expect to hear from the MK people shortly.

If you have better contacts or ideas, please let me know. You can send me a private message here and I will be happy to give you my direct contact info.

There is also a documentary filmmaker who is coming down for the closing. He filmed some interviews with me last year, and he will be doing some more interviews while he is in town for the closing. He also intends to come down again in a few months to do a final follow up to see how Ben is doing in the aftermath of the closure.

Ill send you a PM...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sorry but rides cost much more to operate than a meet a great.
I dont see you factoring the maintenance workers, they make much more then the operators, plus the cost of the maintenance itself, and when parts break, which they do alot, cost even more.

That is just one other part of the costs. Rides have many others.
Big e tickets like Space mountain, Splash, etc do cost more than a meet n greet, but they are a big draw for the parks, handle more guests, etc, etc, so they are worth it. However, a B ticket like Pooh or Snow White is much less expensive to operate, per guest, than a meet n greet.

MickeyPeace

I will be in MK on the 31st for the closing. Very sad. I enjoy the classic rides and would like to see them stay. Add a meet and great, don't take away to do it.
Disney certainly has the money and space for both.

The Empress Lilly

I will be in MK on the 31st for the closing. Very sad. I enjoy the classic rides and would like to see them stay. Add a meet and great, don't take away to do it.
Disney certainly has the money and space for both.
DL has five classic dark rides in it's FL 'courtyard' - Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, Toad and Alice. A bit further in the park, they have Pooh and Small World too. And Roger Rabbit in Toontown plus Mermaid in DCA. That's nine classic dark rides.

The MK will have IASW, Pan, Pooh and Mermaid.

We're being had.

Jakester

Will they also come back once the Mine Ride is opened to see how/if hes liking it?
Kinda awesome also that theres a filmmaker doing an interview for you and your son

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom