Rumor Small world overlay with Tangled?

The Empress Lilly

Let's not kid ourselves that back in the day WDW was a resort for sophisticates who just didn't know it. It was always entertainment for the masses. What constitutes entertainment for the masses has changed in the decades since and corporate culture has become more risk averse.

I also lament the lack of any grand vision behind new developments at WDW today beyond potential revenue and miss the ambition of something like EPCOT Center. However, I think it's a bit self-serving to imagine ourselves on a higher intellectual and cultural plane than the great unwashed who enjoy WDW today because we liked Mr Toad's Wild Ride and Universe of Energy back in the day.
Yes, you correctly point out a certain irony. ;)

Disney has never been sophisticated high culture. In fact, Disneyfication is a swear word. Not to me, however, I adore Disneyfication and see it merely as just one other narrative of reality. One devoid of the cynicism, campiness or irony that the posing masses mistake for essential elements of the critical mind.

Yes, I also feel superior to the uncritical mass of critical thinkers. -_-

If Disney has never been high culture, it has never been low culture either. It seems to evade traditional classification. A bit like a Pixar animation movie. Deep independent cinema or cutting edge animation they are not. But Hollywood junk they aren't either. They are great works of technologically advanced film making, with heart, surprisingly good at functioning on both an elementary and deeper level, as evidenced by their being eminently watchable to both the child and the adult.

The Empress Lilly

Oh come on, do you really believe that? It's always been Disney World, not some beacon of modern society. Amazingly, it appeals to families and children and what they want. Not just you and your whims.
A family park, yes. But not the same in character throughout the years.

Universe of Energy:
The Universe we know is one of dynamic forces -- its heartbeat sending a constant flow of energy coursing through the vastness. This energy is never destroyed, nor is this energy created. But energy is perceived in different forms.

Within the atoms of all matter - on a level most infinitesimal, yet most powerful - is nuclear energy.

Binding atoms into molecules and crystals - and stored in the cells of all living things - is chemical energy.

In the sudden flow of electrons there is electrical energy.

In the world around us, there is constant motion - and in this motion, there is mechanical energy.

Unleashed in the motion of molecules themselves is heat energy.

Finally, washing over the Earth in an all-pervasive, never ending flood is light energy.

We long observed with fascination, the interplay of these elemental forms of energy, noting that certain forms often changed into others.

Ellen’s Energy Adventures:
Hi and welcome to the Universe of Energy. How are ya? No need to answer. You know, you're probably surprised to see me here on celebrity Jeopardy, aren't you?

Guardians of the Galaxy:
I have famously large turds!

Sir_Cliff

If Disney has never been high culture, it has never been low culture either. It seems to evade traditional classification. A bit like a Pixar animation movie. Deep independent cinema or cutting edge animation they are not. But Hollywood junk they aren't either. They are great works of technologically advanced film making, with heart, surprisingly good at functioning on both an elementary and deeper level, as evidenced by their being eminently watchable to both the child and the adult.
This I do agree with, and I think it is reflected in the amount of scholarly analysis Disney and Disney theme parks have attracted over the years. If they were just popular that wouldn't justify such attention, but a complex like Disney World seemed to represent something more profound about society and culture for a very long time. Both in terms of what Disney was trying to do and in the way people responded to it. Whether that was good, bad, or neutral depended on your perspective.

The fact that the Disney theme parks are drifting toward becoming a collection of attractions based on major motion pictures with expensive high-rise hotels probably says something too about where society is right now. I do also agree that the message is probably not an encouraging one, but there we are.

DisneyGigi

Having taken my step grandson, at 3 and at 5, as well as my grandson, at the time 15 months, IaSW, was hands down both of their favorite ride. Above any other ride. Buzz and Toy Story Mania included. It is classic, but kids who have no idea what it is - love it. Do I have to ride it every trip, just us? No. Leave some stuff alone! 😑

The Empress Lilly

Having taken my step grandson, at 3 and at 5, as well as my grandson, at the time 15 months, IaSW, was hands down both of their favorite ride. Above any other ride. Buzz and Toy Story Mania included. It is classic, but kids who have no idea what it is - love it. Do I have to ride it every trip, just us? No. Leave some stuff alone! 😑
Small World ought to be sacred! Build by Walt, in its sixth decade now. The joy of generations.

It may never make my top ten, but my Disney is incomplete without it. There is nothing about this ride I dislike. A joyful happy machine. =D

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This I do agree with, and I think it is reflected in the amount of scholarly analysis Disney and Disney theme parks have attracted over the years. If they were just popular that wouldn't justify such attention, but a complex like Disney World seemed to represent something more profound about society and culture for a very long time. Both in terms of what Disney was trying to do and in the way people responded to it. Whether that was good, bad, or neutral depended on your perspective.

The fact that the Disney theme parks are drifting toward becoming a collection of attractions based on major motion pictures with expensive high-rise hotels probably says something too about where society is right now. I do also agree that the message is probably not an encouraging one, but there we are.

I only disagree a bit. I think we were always where we are now. The amazing thing is that the place was built at all and that it lasted as long as it did. We who rage, rage, against the dying of the light will ultimately lose, but I ask that the rest be a bit understanding. We know that this is it. Nothing else like this will ever be built. Our proof that this is the entirety of modern history. Even another Walt like visionary wouldn't create the culture that led to this little bit of heaven on earth. It has already been done.

Last edited:

WDWTank

If people want to “ride the movies”, they can do it at Universal Studios.

SuperStretccch

IASW is definitely one of those untouchable classics, just like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Jungle Cruise. I highly doubt a retheme would be in the cards, and if it is, then I will seriously question the sanity of Chapek, TDO, and whoever else is in charge. Not that some of their recent decisions haven't been strange, but this would completely take the cake.

WDWTank

IASW is definitely one of those untouchable classics, just like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Jungle Cruise. I highly doubt a retheme would be in the cards, and if it is, then I will seriously question the sanity of Chapek, TDO, and whoever else is in charge. Not that some of their recent decisions haven't been strange, but this would completely take the cake.
I agree! :)

mikejs78

Premium Member
Small World ought to be sacred! Build by Walt, in its sixth decade now. The joy of generations.

It may never make my top ten, but my Disney is incomplete without it. There is nothing about this ride I dislike. A joyful happy machine. =D
Was there this April... When we got back, we were talking about our favorite attractions. My 8 year old son listed Tomorrowland Speedway (because what kid doesn't dream of driving), BTMR, Test Track, Star Tours, Toy Story, Buzz, Soarin, and...It's a Small World. The others I kind of expected, but IaSW shocked me. Shows its staying power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom