Rumor Small world overlay with Tangled?

MrHappy

I think you're being a little over the top here. The problem is actually that Bob Iger (I can't speak for Chapek) is a smart businessman. To him, it's all about selling the brand. He's making billions with Star Wars and Marvel, and both were brilliant acquisitions. The parks are just one part of the larger strategy. Also, It's a Small World is not going anywhere.
Brilliant acquisitions, poor use. Too much market saturation of both franchises....going to start to backfire if they're not more careful.

danheaton

Brilliant acquisitions, poor use. Too much market saturation of both franchises....going to start to backfire if they're not more careful.

I think they may be over doing it with Star Wars. My reaction to seeing the Solo trailer and realizing it's here in June was indifference. I haven't felt it in the parks, but there is a sense that Star Wars is a bit too much at this point. We'll see.

Hayley In Wonderland

IASW is a ride that everyone knows, that's for sure.

However, I have always felt the location of it at MK compared to DLP and DLC lacks imagination, theming and is hidden away. I know that it is a cult classic and one of Walt's originals, but unfortunately things cannot remain the same forever. I see a lot of people on here complaining about old rides being removed and swapped out with new ones, even when it happened years ago (I.E. Mr Toad's Wild Ride being replaced with Winnie the Pooh - which is more popular, more Disney and happened 20 years ago). The parks have to change, to keep guest count up, attract to the younger audiences and to keep rides looking new and innovative. I know for sure when Winnie The Pooh was built in MK, it was very very popular (I was an avid Pooh fan myself) and Mr Toad's Wild Ride probably wasn't going to cut it for the younger audiences (which is what MK is predominately built for).

Basically, people need to stop being so negative about things changing and updating at WDW and just accept that it needs to happen. If this rumor is even remotely true, then I'm excited to see what is to come of IASW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think they may be over doing it with Star Wars. My reaction to seeing the Solo trailer and realizing it's here in June was indifference. I haven't felt it in the parks, but there is a sense that Star Wars is a bit too much at this point. We'll see.
Hey, Fox brought back The X-Files. Point being, there's no such thing as too much Star Wars to some fans.

Which, if the Fox-Disney deal goes thru, means we could be seeing an X-Files attraction in WDW someday.

danheaton

Hey, Fox brought back The X-Files. Point being, there's no such thing as too much Star Wars to some fans.

Which, if the Fox-Disney deal goes thru, means we could be seeing an X-Files attraction in WDW someday.

True. And it's hard to complain too much about a lot of Star Wars. I loved The X-Files and didn't hate S10, but I was out after the premiere of S11. The ratings were way down too. So that example also shows the risk in too much of something that many love.

The Empress Lilly

I’ve been reflecting on this a lot. If there were to be a nascent revival, “fans” probably would trash it.
Sadly, they probably would.

WDW even in its heyday struggled to find its audience. A remarkably sophisticated resort, but as being Disney it was loathed by the very audiences that would've appreciated that.

And that was then. How many modern guests think the MK was built as a children's playground? Toad , if built today, couldn't survive a week before this crowd. Not even Snow White in its original form could. And those are cartoon rides. If you go to World Showcase, you have until about 2:30pm to intoxicate yourself on its immense beauty before the drunk louts take over. What use to built anything of worth for that horde? It would be ignored, at best.

WDW is going down the drain not just out of cynical management. The modern audience itself demands Mexico be turned into Margaritaville, the MK into diaper town, and FW into superhero land. The resort and its audience are in a race to the bottom of the cultural ladder, both pulling the other down.

If you built it dumber, the dumber will come.

the.dreamfinder

WDW even in its heyday struggled to find its audience. A remarkably sophisticated resort, but as being Disney it was loathed by the very audiences that would've appreciated that.

And that was then. How many modern guests think the MK was built as a children's playground? Toad , if built today, couldn't survive a week before this crowd. Not even Snow White in its original form could. And those are cartoon rides. If you go to World Showcase, you have until about 2:30pm to intoxicate yourself on its immense beauty before the drunk louts take over. What use to built anything of worth for that horde? It would be ignored, at best.

WDW is going down the drain not just out of cynical management. The modern audience itself demands Mexico be turned into Margaritaville, the MK into diaper town, and FW into superhero land. The resort and its audience are in a race to the bottom of the cultural ladder, both pulling the other down.

It doesn’t help that no one has a unified vision for the company anymore and that that vision yield a high standard. They set the expectation for how guests experience and behave in the parks. Despite its appeal, the past wasn’t some era of civility because people were good narrative rings hollow. Rather, people held the line and there was the threat of consequences if you failed to meet it. Tokyo gives me hope, but so much of that is culturally specific.

I have hope things could get better, but where’s rock bottom? So often in business, that realization that there’s a problem comes too late.

WDWTank

It doesn’t help that no one has a unified vision for the company anymore and that that vision yield a high standard. They set the expectation for how guests experience and behave in the parks. Despite its appeal, the past wasn’t some era of civility because people were good narrative rings hollow. Rather, people held the line and there was the threat of consequences if you failed to meet it. Tokyo gives me hope, but so much of that is culturally specific.

I have hope things could get better, but where’s rock bottom? So often in business, that realization that there’s a problem comes too late.
I have a wonderful vision for the company :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I can't disagree with the overall dumbing down, and the points made, I agree, but don't paint with such a broad brush ... and let's try to act a little less 'superior'.
But clearly it's hard when I'm clearly so superior to everyone else. At least, when I'm driving... ;)

the.dreamfinder

I can't disagree with the overall dumbing down, and the points made, I agree, but don't paint with such a broad brush ... and let's try to act a little less 'superior'.
Every guests benefits from a higher quality experience, even if they cannot articulate or fully appreciate what makes one better than the other.

Disney needs to get back into the goodwill building experience and stop obsessively thinking about guests in terms of LCD or unwitting pawns for their latest schemes.

Sir_Cliff

Let's not kid ourselves that back in the day WDW was a resort for sophisticates who just didn't know it. It was always entertainment for the masses. What constitutes entertainment for the masses has changed in the decades since and corporate culture has become more risk averse.

I also lament the lack of any grand vision behind new developments at WDW today beyond potential revenue and miss the ambition of something like EPCOT Center. However, I think it's a bit self-serving to imagine ourselves on a higher intellectual and cultural plane than the great unwashed who enjoy WDW today because we liked Mr Toad's Wild Ride and Universe of Energy back in the day.

MrHappy

If the parks are dumbed down, eventually they will attract an audience lower on the cultural ladder. Eventually, this will reflect in the quality of members of Disney Fan sites.
I wouldn't associate park design and operation choices with the intelligence of the guests that consume the parks. If any thing, the guest Disney wants to attract are those on the high economical ladder.

MinnieWaffles

Oh come on, do you really believe that? It's always been Disney World, not some beacon of modern society. Amazingly, it appeals to families and children and what they want. Not just you and your whims.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom