Slash and Burn ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The difference is that EPCOT still exists ... or most of it does ... and what's been taken can actually be replaced by better things in the future if the powers are willing.

The AC is dead ... and when last I heard many of its props were sold to OLC (not sure for what) and that the remainder were going to become part of HKDL's Haunted Mansion.

imagineer boy

Just imagine if wannab@dis were here now. :lol: We'd probably get the lecture about how perfect everything at WDW is right now with all his constant usage of :rolleyes: smilies.

tirian

The difference is that EPCOT still exists ... or most of it does ... and what's been taken can actually be replaced by better things in the future if the powers are willing.

The AC is dead ... and when last I heard many of its props were sold to OLC (not sure for what) and that the remainder were going to become part of HKDL's Haunted Mansion.

Probably just continued plussing throughout TDR.

agent86

I guess what it comes down to is reality. And WED/WDI has for over 50 years now showcased Imagineer's personal expression ... from the work of legends like Marc Davis, Claude Coats, Ken Anderson, Mary Blair, John Hench etc ...

Well for starters, I should clarify that my post was meant facetiously when I said that perhaps Disney is not the place for him (Joe Rhodes). That was in response to someone who said that if Joe Rhodes felt the budget for EE was cut, that he'd state it publicly. I found that difficult to imagine, as I'm sure he does possess at least some business savvy, and the response I got was that he doesn't play by those rules. So for the record, let me just clarify that I do think Disney is the place for Joe Rhodes and I think they are lucky to have him. I personally think that some of the best things Disney has produced have been due to him. However, I would not personally consider EE to be his crowning achievement.

Having said that, I'm sorry but you're wrong about Disney being a place for Imagineers' "personal expression". In fact, it's interesting that you included Ken Anderson on your list because there is a legendary conversation that Walt Disney once had with Ken Anderson in which he (Walt) told Ken that working at Disney wasn't about the artists personally.

there was never a campaign that you'd see the yeti for XX amount of time.

I never said there was a campaign that said that. But I do recall seeing, in several places (including Disney's website) that EE would include an "up close, personal encounter with the yeti". To argue that they didn't promised you'd see it for x amount of time, sounds like some sort of legal loophole. I think they knew what they were trying to convey when they said "up close, personal encounter". It doesn't take a PhD in pyschology to know that the average person would interpret that as meaning you'll get a decent look at it...for more than just a few seconds.

agent86

You might be 100% right, but this post kinda smacks of the classic Conspiracy Theory...ya know, where every piece of contradictory evidence is just further proof of the truth of the original hypothesis.

:lol: Okay, fair enough. I re-read my post and I have to admit, I did kind of sound like a conspiracy theorist, which was not my intent.

Once again (and as with the above clarification) my remarks were in response to another poster who displayed the artist's rendering, presumably as "proof" that the finished product was exactly what the artists originally envisioned. My point was simply that the drawing didn't really prove anything, because it probably was made after everything was pretty much finalized. I realize that in the old days Disney would release artist renderings of proposed attractions early in the concept stage (Space Mt being a classic example), but I don't really see them doing that anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom