Sky-Way Station being cleared

EPCOT Explorer

Unless you have a CM friend or are willing to risk ejection from the park, you won't be able to get anywhere near it. They've walled off the entire area encompassing the Space Mountain entrance, the Skyway station, bathrooms and the "quiet spot".

-Rob

Ahhhh...Understood.:wave::lol:

WDW1974

I've been in the former FedEx lounge.

If you haven't, then you aren't missing much. It was small. It had a fridge for free drinks. They often had cookies out. Although I've been at parties where they've used it and had more substantial finger foods.

The best part of it was the backdoor access to the attraction.

WDW_logo_MagicKingdom.jpg

icon_STOP.gif
Park News
- (7/6/09) I’ve been told that just before the end of July we will see demolition crews enter Tomorrowland who will begin the process of taking down the old Tomorrowland Skyway building, leaving only the restroom facility behind once complete. The restrooms will also be redone and they hope to have it all finished and ready in time for Space Mountain’s reopening, just in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday if possible.

Didn't find this in a search. Per Screamscape. Is this clearing just to make space? Is something going in its place? If they are building something would they leave the bathrooms there?

Hello there,

I am quite annoyed at Disney for demolishing the Tomorrowland Skyway station for it to me is a relic of a great extinct Disney attraction.. Destroying it would finally seal the fate of the Skyway, its whole existence wiped clean from the face of Walt Disney World and the other Disney theme parks around the world. :cry:

At least the Fantasyland station still exists because it is the most prettiest peaceful spot in the park (even though its now stroller parking). :) I hope though that Disney will not destroy any more extinct attraction artifacts after this (fingers crossed). :animwink:

Bye!

WDWFREAK53

WDW_logo_MagicKingdom.jpg

icon_STOP.gif
Park News
- (7/6/09) I’ve been told that just before the end of July we will see demolition crews enter Tomorrowland who will begin the process of taking down the old Tomorrowland Skyway building, leaving only the restroom facility behind once complete. The restrooms will also be redone and they hope to have it all finished and ready in time for Space Mountain’s reopening, just in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday if possible.

Didn't find this in a search. Per Screamscape. Is this clearing just to make space? Is something going in its place? If they are building something would they leave the bathrooms there?

Hello there,

I am quite annoyed at Disney for demolishing the Tomorrowland Skyway station for it to me is a relic of a great extinct Disney attraction.. Destroying it would finally seal the fate of the Skyway, its whole existence wiped clean from the face of Walt Disney World and the other Disney theme parks around the world. :cry:

At least the Fantasyland station still exists because it is the most prettiest peaceful spot in the park (even though its now stroller parking). :) I hope though that Disney will not destroy any more extinct attraction artifacts after this (fingers crossed). :animwink:

Bye!

I think removing the towers/pylons sealed it's fate.

IMO, it's about time...why have it? It looks like a building that once housed an attraction...not cool architecture that belongs in tomorrowland. It was cool architecture that flowed with the old tomorrowland...but looks out of place now.

I will say that the waterfall added to the kinetic vibe of the place though.

pax_65

I am quite annoyed at Disney for demolishing the Tomorrowland Skyway station for it to me is a relic of a great extinct Disney attraction.

Disney World is not a museum. Walt himself said that the parks would constantly change as we MOVE FORWARD.

The Skyway was cool but it wasn't unique or particularly innovative. There are Skyways in small amusement parks across the country, many of which are better executed that Disney's (although none had the great view of Fantasyland!)

That said, I share your nostalgia for the past, and if someone opened up a theme park that contained all extinct Disney attractions (Skyway, If You Had Wings, Mr. Toad, Horizons, etc.) I would certainly check it out.

RSoxNo1

Well, the assumption is that with the refurbishment of Space Mountain, that they will reconfigure the queue so that they can utilize the switchbacks again - if so, this would likely eliminate the need for an overflow queue area except on the busiest of days. If I had to guess it's removal for the sake of beautifying the area - the concrete around the Skyway building didn't look good, and it would be an eyesore next to what will hopefully be a better looking Space Mountain exterior.

Rob562

I say good riddance...and along with it should go the restrooms and the Stitch stage. That would be a prime spot for one of my favorite DL restaurants, Redd Rocket's Pizza Port. This would help take some load off of Cosmic Ray's and add some variety to the MK menu.

Unless they're building bathrooms into the Arcade building (and there hasn't been any indication that they are), they can't get rid of the skyway bathrooms. First, they're the closest bathrooms to one of the biggest crowd magnets in the park. Plus, if they were totally removed, the closest bathrooms would be the ones between Auntie Gravities' and Star Traders.

In fact, those bathrooms would be the ONLY bathrooms in the entire land, apart from the once inside Cosmic Rays and the rarely-used ones next to the Noodle Station serving counters.

That's why they're taking the time now to get rid of the rest of the building. With Space Mountain closed, the other bathrooms could handle the reduced crowds in Tomorrowland.

-Rob

Rob562

What about the busy ones next to Auntie Gravity's ?

Sorry, I guess I worded that a little ambiguously... The "those would be the only ones" was referring to the ones by Auntie Gravity's... (meaning the A.G. bathrooms would be the only ones left if the skyway bathrooms were removed)

Bathroom? More like a closet :D

True, though I think they're still bigger than the ones by Refreshment Port in World Showcase... THOSE are closets. (And I've heard the Yakitori House bathrooms in Japan are just as tiny, but I've never been in there in person).

At least with Yakitori House and Tomorrowland Terrace the lower foot traffic past them keeps the crowds down. I don't think I've ever seen the Refreshment Port bathrooms without a line...
[Note to Epcot VP: Build a new, bigger set of bathrooms by Refreshment Port!]

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

True, though I think they're still bigger than the ones by Refreshment Port in World Showcase... THOSE are closets. (And I've heard the Yakitori House bathrooms in Japan are just as tiny, but I've never been in there in person).

At least with Yakitori House and Tomorrowland Terrace the lower foot traffic past them keeps the crowds down. I don't think I've ever seen the Refreshment Port bathrooms without a line...
[Note to Epcot VP: Build a new, bigger set of bathrooms by Refreshment Port!]

-Rob

No kidding on the Refreshment Port bathrooms. I'm still stunned that those are listed as a bathroom available for use by guests. And Yakitori House is, in my estimate, even smaller than RP. At least that ones up and out of the way from most guests, but still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom