Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

fosse76

I'd be surprised if it soft opened anytime in the next couple of days. There have been some major load/unload issues. The crew definitely needs some more polishing before general public gets in. I could easily be wrong though.
Isn't that the point of a soft opening (or as Universal calls them, "technical rehearsal")?

gmajew

Isn't that the point of a soft opening (or as Universal calls them, "technical rehearsal")?

Yeah but that is to obvious, and people are so impatient... Give them the time to make sure it is perfect, work out the bugs and then open it.

Like a restaurant and soft openings... it is going to be a place on fire but it is practice so when real paying guest get on they can say positive things...

Timekeeper

Did Gringotts soft open to the public? I was under the impression that there were not significant softs for the public other than press, media, employees, etc. It also seems like UOR doesn't do softs like WDW does (or at least used to).

Mike S

Original Poster
Did Gringotts soft open to the public? I was under the impression that there were not significant softs for the public other than press, media, employees, etc. It also seems like UOR doesn't do softs like WDW does (or at least used to).
I was there the weekend before the grand opening and no softs. Only the land itself and the Hogwarts Express.

AEfx

Wow, that "Kongfrontation" made me so nostalgic for the old UO ride!

I know!!!!!

Way to go Universal. I can't believe that they have done this - basically, brought back a classic ride and plussed the hell out of it. I'm just floored.

It gives me a slight hope now we might see Jaws again someday. I adored that ride (in many ways, one of the best "dark rides" ever). But it was using Jungle Cruise-era technology and due to it's design was very expensive to run. Given what can be done with boats these days with magnets and all, I imagine it would be a lot easier to do some of the original effects from the first version of the ride and plus them - like the shark actually attacking and pulling the boat, etc. Heck, do it like Kong and have outdoor and then indoor sections out to sea in a storm...

Eh, I'm not generally an armchair imagineer, but man - I can see it so clearly.

If only they fixed the delivery of "Hey...who looked him in the eye?". You can't sound more disinterested than that!

LOL, to be fair - Kongfrontation was pretty cheeky with the dialogue, too. We'll see how these work in context of the whole ride - it will be very interesting once we have all the versions to compare. I'm sure some will be better than others and a favorite will emerge, and folks will ask to be on the vehicle with "them".

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mine Train took longer to build than Kong and cost more to do so.

@marni1971 would know more about costs, but heck yeah it took longer - that pile of dirt in Fantasyland took five years to turn into a ride.

AEfx

From start of construction more like 2.5 years and actually a little bit longer than Diagon Alley. Lol.

I count from when they blocked it off and made it a pile of dirt, LOL...in any case, yes, it took longer and I'm willing to bet cost more.

Figments Friend

Must, resist, watching, video :in pain:

Mike, if this helps ease the anxiety.....( not a 'spoiler' )....

This video clip is just that - a few quick clips, not the entire ride experience.
You see very little, the highlight being just a very quick look at Kong in action.
More of a brief 'teaser', really.
You are not missing anything.

Wait until the full length experience videos start showing up!
:)

-

Mike S

Original Poster
Mike, if this helps ease the anxiety.....( not a 'spoiler' )....

This video clip is just that - a few quick clips, not the entire ride experience.
You see very little, the highlight being just a very quick look at Kong in action.
More of a brief 'teaser', really.
You are not missing anything.

Wait until the full length experience videos start showing up!
:)

-
Other than what was officially released or spoiled because of following rumors I'm waiting to experience the whole thing in person. Absolutely no on ride videos for me.

Figments Friend

Other than what was officially released or spoiled because of following rumors I'm waiting to experience the whole thing in person. Absolutely no on ride videos for me.

Ahhh...well that is good.
I find that really pays off for me when it comes to new Attractions or Shows.
I purposely do this for Disneyland related additions or upgrades.
I would much rather experience it first hand and judge myself, as well as enjoy the surprises to be had.

-

RobUK

I'm quite happy watching the video cos the next time I come over I'll have forgotten it all entirely. Need to have a child of a reasonable age before I can justify the expense to the lady.

BrerJon

Absolutely no point in spoilering yourself when you'll probably be riding it within a week or two. I think it's different for folks who won't get to ride for months/years as they'll have forgotten what they watched by then, but anyone going on the ride soon would be mad to give in to temptation.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
From start of construction more like 2.5 years and actually a little bit longer than Diagon Alley. Lol.

I count from when they blocked it off and made it a pile of dirt, LOL...in any case, yes, it took longer and I'm willing to bet cost more.
I'm counting from when what it replaced closed to when what replaced it opened.

Toontown Fair closed 2/11/11.
The first part that mattered (Little Mermaid and Enchanted Tales) opened 12/6/12. Just under on year and ten months (shockingly fast).
Seven Dwarf's Mine Train opened 5/28/14. Over three years and three months.

Jaws closed 6/7/12.
Diagon Alley opened 7/8/14. Two years, a month, and a day.

Not to mention the differences in quality between the expansions...

FigmentForver96

I'm counting from when what it replaced closed to when what replaced it opened.

Toontown Fair closed 2/11/11.
The first part that mattered (Little Mermaid and Enchanted Tales) opened 12/6/12. Just under on year and ten months (shockingly fast).
Seven Dwarf's Mine Train opened 5/28/14. Over three years and three months.

Jaws closed 6/7/12.
Diagon Alley opened 7/8/14. Two years, a month, and a day.

Not to mention the differences in quality between the expansions...
Technically neither of those attractions fall on the old Toontown plot. That would be Storybook Circus. They replaced 20,000 leagues which closed 1994 I think so 18 years lol? (A joke im making a joke but yea those rides didn't really effect Toontown

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom