Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

RobotWolf

We were never lead to believe that we would see more than his head. I assumed the 30' was how tall Kong would theoretically be with a head that size; also how tall he is represented in the cgi.

RobotWolf

Say what you will about projection-based attractions. But...
Uni has the parallaxing thing down pat. This is the first time I've seen it in 2D and it reads really well in the rider video. So it must look great in person.

HouseHacker97

Yeah the head was described to be "bigger than a car" and it looked like I could have fit my arms around it in the video. Maybe it's just not doing it justice but I haven't ridden it yet.

HouseHacker97

Yeah the head was described to be "bigger than a car" and it looked like I could have fit my arms around it in the video. Maybe it's just not doing it justice but I haven't ridden it yet.

Although, this new ride POV video is 999x better quality than the leaked video we saw before - which kind of disappointed me in terms of the AA but now I'm very excited to ride it myself

Mike S

Original Poster

TyTrap

Saw the queue and ride videos. Very impressed with both. My only critique that I have for the ride is the lighting inconsistency between the last 2 scenes of the ride. The jungle scene was very bright taking place in a daytime setting. The last scene where you encounter Kong is dark. Unless he went back to a cave after fighting off the dinosaurs I think they could've tried to light that last scene better to match the scene before. Maybe they had to keep it dark to hide some exposed animatronic pieces. It just pulls me out of the story.

Disneyhead'71

Saw the queue and ride videos. Very impressed with both. My only critique that I have for the ride is the lighting inconsistency between the last 2 scenes of the ride. The jungle scene was very bright taking place in a daytime setting. The last scene where you encounter Kong is dark. Unless he went back to a cave after fighting off the dinosaurs I think they could've tried to light that last scene better to match the scene before. Maybe they had to keep it dark to hide some exposed animatronic pieces. It just pulls me out of the story.
Not one person who has ridden it has mentioned this as an issue, as far as I know.

AEfx

I think it looks great. I was expecting a bit more actual set/animatronic stuff, and overall a slightly longer experience, but it's certainly an impressive attraction I can't wait to try.

I'm hoping, though, that Kong was really in "technical" rehearsal and that he can be tweaked over time. It's awesome you get to stop and enjoy him for a minute (unlike our dear Yeti, even when he was in A-mode), but I did feel he really needed to ROAR once really loudly at the end. Even if you are "friendly" with him - it's really was too understated to me. It creates an awkward moment where he's just basically meowing at you then the announcer is like "ok, we're off!" and the ride abruptly ends at the queue. The ending transition just needs some work, but that's easily accomplished.

ctxak98

I would have to agree on this one.

First let me state that I watched both videos and WOW. This ride is impressive and I was very happy with the outcome overall. The queue is amazing and probably my favorite part of the attraction (right next to Kong and the other AA's).

My only thing about this attraction is the lack of knowledge of the story and flow of different environments shown throughout the attraction. If you have seen this movie before, you know that going from the bug pit, to the wide open jungle is not just a stroll away. You would have to climb up the cliff (which I know the vehicles cant do, but there should have been some sort of better transition (or make the jungle scene darker or at night). this transition happened 2 times in the attractions which was very confusing for me as the viewer.

I know thats really picky, but It's what I do when I go on any attraction. I notice things and they can't always be positive. Just my 2 cents

Disneyhead'71

I would have to agree on this one.

First let me state that I watched both videos and WOW. This ride is impressive and I was very happy with the outcome overall. The queue is amazing and probably my favorite part of the attraction (right next to Kong and the other AA's).

My only thing about this attraction is the lack of knowledge of the story and flow of different environments shown throughout the attraction. If you have seen this movie before, you know that going from the bug pit, to the wide open jungle is not just a stroll away. You would have to climb up the cliff (which I know the vehicles cant do, but there should have been some sort of better transition (or make the jungle scene darker or at night). this transition happened 2 times in the attractions which was very confusing for me as the viewer.

I know thats really picky, but It's what I do when I go on any attraction. I notice things and they can't always be positive. Just my 2 cents
You drive out of the end bug canyon into the jungle. It's not complex or confusing.

A 2"X3" YouTube video fails at capturing the ride experience.

Shocking, I know.

Disneyhead'71

I think it looks great. I was expecting a bit more actual set/animatronic stuff, and overall a slightly longer experience, but it's certainly an impressive attraction I can't wait to try.

I'm hoping, though, that Kong was really in "technical" rehearsal and that he can be tweaked over time. It's awesome you get to stop and enjoy him for a minute (unlike our dear Yeti, even when he was in A-mode), but I did feel he really needed to ROAR once really loudly at the end. Even if you are "friendly" with him - it's really was too understated to me. It creates an awkward moment where he's just basically meowing at you then the announcer is like "ok, we're off!" and the ride abruptly ends at the queue. The ending transition just needs some work, but that's easily accomplished.
There are 11 AAs and it is the longest ride Universal has ever built. And is a longer ride experience than either of the upcoming Avatar attractions.

ctxak98

You drive out of the end bug canyon into the jungle. It's not complex or confusing.

A 2"X3" YouTube video fails at capturing the ride experience.

Shocking, I know.
Dude I understand what's happening. I'm not stupid. But my knowledge of skull island based off the movie, leads me to believe you can't simply go from the bug pit to the jungle in 2 seconds. It doesn't make sense in terms of spatial awareness leaving me feel uneasy about the flow.... That is all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom