Signature Drink at Gaston's

doctornick

Which is EXACTLY why Butterbeer works. Universal did not just arbitrarily create a bunch of random food items because it was the Wizarding World. They created items that were specifically mentioned in the books/films and those are the products they sell. Butterbeer is one of the most heavily mentioned beverages throughout the entire series. Trying it is pretty much a check off the list for anyone visiting Wizarding World.

Nowhere in Beauty and the Beast is 'Le Fou's Brew' ever mentioned, nor is it even implied that he has any skills in brewing beverages of any kind, or has ever owned any kind of brewery business.

I'm not really sure I get the point here. No, there is no specific drink mentioned or implied in the BatB movie. So, there is absolutely no basis to develop a specialty drink based on the movie. It's nothing at all like Butterbeer in that regard so it's a pointless comparison IMHO.

What is in BatB is a tavern which serves something in mugs that is presumed to be beer. Obviously, MK is dry, so beer is off the table. I guess the simple option would be to offer O'Douls or some other non alcoholic beer; that would, I expect, be wholely unsatisfying for guests and wouldn't really fit into the more youth oriented area of Fantasyland.

So, WDI is basically poised with the question of: we need to make a drink that is something like beer but not alcoholic and still tasty. And this is what they came up with. I would think it's kinda of brown-ish and foamy, so that's why they are going with it because it has a passing resemblance to the beer that was in the film. Maybe you are complaining about the name, but they had to call it something and they went with a semi-rhyme.

As for the cloning drinks complaints, that just reflects how everything Disney does will be criticized. I'm sure that if they didn't clone it and Le Fou's Brew wasn't that good, we'd see a ton of "why doesn't Disney bring in some of the awesome drinks from Carsland?" complaining posts. If this drink is popular, they should serve it in WDW; it's stupid for them not to have the option somewhere in Florida just because it exists in DL.

As an aside, is it possible that this will be served in BoG as well? If so, maybe the Belle mug is for use there while the Gaston one is for the Tavern.

SirLink

The main point is they taste good. Further more these drinks I am sure were developed ina test kitchen and then market tested and I am certain some of your guys ideas came up. Its not on the menu because they didn't work. This has proven to work as a beverage at CARSLAND and it will work here too no doubt.

A beverage that works in Carsland does not mean it can just MAGICally fit the French rural theme. Show should always be of a higher importance than efficiency - and food and drink is one medium that can transport the guest to a different time or place.

doctornick

A beverage that works in Carsland does not mean it can just MAGICally fit the French rural theme. Show should always be of a higher importance than efficiency - and food and drink is one medium that can transport the guest to a different time or place.

Does the drink resemble beer that one might find in a tavern in rural France? If yes (which is what the Disney folks think) then it does "fit the French rural theme". That is what they are going for -- to imitate drinking a beer in a tavern from the movie.

Does this drink accomplish that? I didn't try it out in California and don't know what it is like. Obviously, it won't taste like beer. But the picture of the drink indicates that it looks like beer and that, along with it being tasty/satisfying, is what they are going for.

SleepingMonk

If your signature drink and signature sweet can be found in at least four other places....

You-keep-using-that-word1-300x252.jpg

LithiumBill

Disney made a name for themselves by thinking more highly of their customers.

But if it tastes good, that is what matters, right? I'll agree that the mugs look like something you'd get at DISNEY ON ICE... But we forget, 95% of the people getting this beverage are going to have any idea that it's from Carsland. If it is gross, then that speaks for itself.

Californian Elitist

I'm sure if they actually sat down and thought, they would have been able to come up with something really cool and different. They should have pulled from popular French beverages and created a nice drink. It makes the most sense, considering the film takes place in France. It would have been great if they did this, instead of just taking something from a land with a polar opposite theme. Laziness.

SirLink

Does the drink resemble beer that one might find in a tavern in rural France? If yes (which is what the Disney folks think) then it does "fit the French rural theme". That is what they are going for -- to imitate drinking a beer in a tavern from the movie.

Does this drink accomplish that? I didn't try it out in California and don't know what it is like. Obviously, it won't taste like beer. But the picture of the drink indicates that it looks like beer and that, along with it being tasty/satisfying, is what they are going for.

Unfortunately rural/working class France didn't have have access to the likes of Mango in the 18th Century and Passion Fruit was only available from the 19th Century, those are the ingredients in the foam on the top. Remember Beauty in the Beast was published in mid 18th Century.So why not use the 3 largest produced fruits of France: Apple, Pear and Black Cherry?

Any drink with a sparking/juice body and a foam would resemble beer, its about the flavor we are questioning, but again these days efficiency is more important than show. Why don't we have a sprite based drink with mojito syrup and lemon foam - that would be more refreshing in Florida after all? :rolleyes:

SleepingMonk

LeFou's Brew (Red's Apple Freeze) - $4.29

:rolleyes:

Frozen Butterbeer - $3.99
Butterbeer - $2.99
Pumpkin Juice – $2.99
Pumpkin Fizz – $2.99

Vader2112

It's Gaston's. It should be wild game and beer!
At least stupid Turkey legs!
I recall something about a Pirate Grog coming to WDW as well.

lazyboy97o

But if it tastes good, that is what matters, right? I'll agree that the mugs look like something you'd get at DISNEY ON ICE... But we forget, 95% of the people getting this beverage are going to have any idea that it's from Carsland. If it is gross, then that speaks for itself.
It matters because Disney is supposed to be the best when it comes to themed entertainment, a medium they essentially created. The whole Disney Difference is built on things that are unnecessary additions to something that is already good. This is about following a trend, not storytelling.

LithiumBill

It matters because Disney is supposed to be the best when it comes to themed entertainment, a medium they essentially created. The whole Disney Difference is built on things that are unnecessary additions to something that is already good. This is about following a trend, not storytelling.

I think that you are right, that there is a trend towards dumbing down, and no one likes that... Outcry over the cheesy cups that everyone of my kids is going to want... yeah i can see that. Worrying about a drink, not so much.

I defended the "PLAYLAND" talk on Dumbo, but these cups remind me of McDonald's giveaways... that bothers me more that the recycled drink from Carsland. The cups are straight from DISNEY ON ICE...cheapos.

FettFan

I'm sure if they actually sat down and thought, they would have been able to come up with something really cool and different. They should have pulled from popular French beverages and created a nice drink. It makes the most sense, considering the film takes place in France. It would have been great if they did this, instead of just taking something from a land with a polar opposite theme. Laziness.

orangina.jpg

Blech. Have you ever TRIED that stuff? It's like Sunny Delight only diluted in a gallon of water.

dreamscometrue

I don't care that it's a butter beer rip off! Because Uni does it that means that Disney can't?? I'm looking forward to trying it.

And if they didn't offer some kind of 'beer' drink at the FLE 'Tavern', these boards would light up with people complaining about the lack of a signature drink. One thing I've learned after 7 years on here, is that absolutely everything discussed on here will be disliked by some, no matter what it is. I can't think of anything ever that has been 100% accepted (which is expected on a discussion forum) so there is no reason for this to be any different. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom