Signature Drink at Gaston's

JustInTime

More like they counted each sale of a drink at Cozy Cone and the most popular ended up in Gaston's. Just think we could of been sipping the following as "LeFou’s Brew": “Pear of Dice” Soda (desert pear syrups and non-alcoholic mojito flavoring topped with Sprite".

And we all know the mojito flavor was big in 18th Century France, I bet it was equal only to that of Mango and Passion Fruit especially in a rural village setting.

Since that is typically how test runs go it wouldn't shock me at all. Especially since Disney is involved.

SirLink

Since that is typically how test runs go it wouldn't shock me at all. Especially since Disney is involved.

But the point being is that we as guests are supposed to be transported to the village from BATB, which was a cartoon-ified version of 18th Century France. So why do we get a mango and passion fruit foam on a apple and marshmallow drink?

Surely use fruit more applicable to time and place, and be less 'One Disney' about the fact?

JustInTime

But the point being is that we as guests are supposed to be transported to the village from BATB, which was a cartoon-ified version of 18th Century France. So why do we get a mango and passion fruit foam on a apple and marshmallow drink?

Surely use fruit more applicable to time and place, and be less 'One Disney' about the fact?

I guess the same reason there are talking candlesticks and magic mirrors. I mean, I agree with you but I think it's fine either way.

lazyboy97o

I guess the same reason there are talking candlesticks and magic mirrors. I mean, I agree with you but I think it's fine either way.
Being fictional is not a license to just do anything. All good fiction has its own set of rules which make the fiction more real. The "same reason" you allude to would also justify robot sentries occupying the town, but it would strain the ability to suspend disbelief.

alissafalco

I don't care that it's a butter beer rip off! Because Uni does it that means that Disney can't?? I'm looking forward to trying it.

JustInTime

Being fictional is not a license to just do anything. All good fiction has its own set of rules which make the fiction more real. The "same reason" you allude to would also justify robot sentries occupying the town, but it would strain the ability to suspend disbelief.
Can you get off my back? I'm not even talking to you nor do I care what you think at this point. Agree to disagree. I'll enjoy the drink, you enjoy a typical soda. No amount of complaing on this forum will matter.

BigThunderMatt

Agreed. BUT...these are probably the child-sized servings (hence having a Belle chalice available for little princesses)

I'm sure they will have glass mugs for adults, and possibly souvenir mugs and steins for purchase. :)

That's giving them FAR too much credit. Don't you know that 100% of all Disney guests like generic Wal-Mart type clothing and souvenir options that either say Disney Parks or Walt Disney World on them? And that guests like to be able to find these items in every single store on property, regardless of location or if it even cohesively makes sense with the surrounding theme? Because that's sure what retail management at Walt Disney World seems to believe.

All good fiction has its own set of rules which make the fiction more real.

Which is EXACTLY why Butterbeer works. Universal did not just arbitrarily create a bunch of random food items because it was the Wizarding World. They created items that were specifically mentioned in the books/films and those are the products they sell. Butterbeer is one of the most heavily mentioned beverages throughout the entire series. Trying it is pretty much a check off the list for anyone visiting Wizarding World.

Nowhere in Beauty and the Beast is 'Le Fou's Brew' ever mentioned, nor is it even implied that he has any skills in brewing beverages of any kind, or has ever owned any kind of brewery business.

Magenta Panther

I agree with this. I really wonder about who plans the show aspect of the park attractions now. Whoever they are, they apparently haven't learned any lessons from the Potter attraction at Uni. The reason it's such a huge hit is because it is so *immersive*. You step through the Hogsmeade gate, and you are in another world entirely. You totally buy it, and there is NOTHING there that jars you back to reality. It remains an authentic experience throughout.

And that's how Fantasyland ought to be. It's the Disney Parks signature land; it's the land that most comes to mind when people think of the parks. But TDO seems to think it's a kind of elaborate expensive daycare. Geared to the little ones, with good-natured parents coming along for the ride. I don't buy the excuse that the Mine Train can't be too intense because the widdle three-year-olds might cry. Screw that! Make it a good ride that EVERYONE will be enchanted with. Sorry to be so grumpy, but frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if this new Fantasyland Expansion isn't going to a be a huge letdown for many of us. The obvious budget cutbacks on the Mermaid ride, the over-kiddiefication of the Belle attraction (and it's too bad. When it begins, it has the makings of a wonderfully immersive experience a la Hogsmeade...and then deteriorates into an elaborate grammar school edition of Show and Tell)...I don't know. I sure hope Be Our Guest is going to be amazing. It'll have to be to keep the FLE from being a very overhyped, underbudgeted disappointment overall. I hope I'm wrong...

alissafalco

Some of you are complaining that its not authentic enough to 18th century France?? Seriously?? In case you forgot you are in the land of make believe called WDW. What do you suggest? Champagne and wine? Well WDW is a dry park in case you forgot that also.

lazyboy97o

I don't care that it's a butter beer rip off! Because Uni does it that means that Disney can't?? I'm looking forward to trying it.
No, but it shows how lost Disney has become. They do not understand why Butterbeer works so well. It is not just because of taste or brand, but because it is a part of the fabric of the experience.

Can you get off my back? I'm not even talking to you nor do I care what you think at this point. Agree to disagree. I'll enjoy the drink, you enjoy a typical soda. No amount of complaing on this forum will matter.
This is not about you. You're posting ideas to which I disagree, so I am responding as to why I disagree. Who is doing the posting is of little consequence.

Also, my not purchasing Le Fou's Brew has less to do with it just being of limited availability but more to do with me thinking that Red's Apple Freeze was not good enough to warrant repeated purchases. I consider having a Butterbeer as a big part of experiencing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I do not have the same feeling regarding Red's Apple Freeze in relation to Cars Land. It's an interesting drink, but not a favorite of the land.

Nowhere in Beauty and the Beast is 'Le Fou's Brew' ever mentioned, nor is it even implied that he has any skills in brewing beverages of any kind, or has ever owned any kind of brewery business.
I agree with this. I really wonder about who plans the show aspect of the park attractions now. Whoever they are, they apparently haven't learned any lessons from the Potter attraction at Uni. The reason it's such a huge hit is because it is so *immersive*. You step through the Hogsmeade gate, and you are in another world entirely. You totally buy it, and there is NOTHING there that jars you back to reality. It remains an authentic experience throughout.
I think this just shows how much Disney has fundamentally misunderstood the success of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Disney thinks the success is all do to the brand. In response the bought another potentially big brand. Now they have a drink which they are branding. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is able to stand alone.

Some of you are complaining that its not authentic enough to 18th century France?? Seriously?? In case you forgot you are in the land of make believe called WDW. What do you suggest? Champagne and wine? Well WDW is a dry park in case you forgot that also.
Again, being "a land of make believe" is not a license to just do anything. Why not build this in Tomorrowland? It's all fiction. In many ways, a variant of Doc's Wild Grape Tonic would have made much more sense, but at Be Our Guest. France has a rich history regarding wine, and so a grape-based, non-alcoholic beverage would make a lot of sense. Doing it up as something like the Castle' private reserve would have only furthered it, making it go from drink to detail.

Magenta Panther

Try to imagine Hogsmeade in Universal serving Coca-Cola in the Three Broomsticks. Which Uni obviously could have done, and many guests wouldn't complain about it, as long as the kiddies were happy. But Uni bent over backwards to make the Potter world entirely faithful to its source material. And that's why it's a huge hit. People NOTICE those things. They APPRECIATE those things. Those little touches make a theme park a THEME park. Not just a piece of property with a lot of fun neat-o rides on it. That's the issue here. Surely Disney could have concocted a more authentic beverage than apple juice for Gaston's. Something more imaginative. But instead it's going the McDonald's route, in my opinion. Which is tacky.

alissafalco

And that's how Fantasyland ought to be. It's the Disney Parks signature land; it's the land that most comes to mind when people think of the parks. But TDO seems to think it's a kind of elaborate expensive daycare. Geared to the little ones, with good-natured parents coming along for the ride. I don't buy the excuse that the Mine Train can't be too intense because the widdle three-year-olds might cry. Screw that! Make it a good ride that EVERYONE will be enchanted with. Sorry to be so grumpy, but frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if this new Fantasyland Expansion isn't going to a be a huge letdown for many of us. The obvious budget cutbacks on the Mermaid ride, the over-kiddiefication of the Belle attraction (and it's too bad. When it begins, it has the makings of a wonderfully immersive experience a la Hogsmeade...and then deteriorates into an elaborate grammar school edition of Show and Tell)...I don't know. I sure hope Be Our Guest is going to be amazing. It'll have to be to keep the FLE from being a very overhyped, underbudgeted disappointment overall. I hope I'm wrong...

I think you will be surprised with 7DMT, all the insiders on here are comparing it BTMRR.

alissafalco

No, but it shows how lost Disney has become. They do not understand why Butterbeer works so well. It is not just because of taste or brand, but because it is a part of the fabric of the experience.

This is not about you. You're posting ideas to which I disagree, so I am responding as to why I disagree. Who is doing the posting is of little consequence.

Also, my not purchasing Le Fou's Brew has less to do with it just being of limited availability but more to do with me thinking that Red's Apple Freeze was not good enough to warrant repeated purchases. I consider having a Butterbeer as a big part of experiencing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I do not have the same feeling regarding Red's Apple Freeze in relation to Cars Land. It's an interesting drink, but not a favorite of the land.

I think this just shows how much Disney has fundamentally misunderstood the success of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Disney thinks the success is all do to the brand. In response the bought another potentially big brand. Now they have a drink which they are branding. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is able to stand alone.

Again, being "a land of make believe" is not a license to just do anything. Why not build this in Tomorrowland? It's all fiction. In many ways, a variant of Doc's Wild Grape Tonic would have made much more sense, but at Be Our Guest. France has a rich history regarding wine, and so a grape-based, non-alcoholic beverage would make a lot of sense. Doing it up as something like the Castle' private reserve would have only furthered it, making it go from drink to detail.

I have to totally disagree with you. They can not serve Champagne and wine, so you are suggesting a grape drink to be more authentic? Really? that sounds pretty gross to me.

lazyboy97o

I'm fairly certain 95% of the people that try this drink will have no idea whether or not it came from Carsland... more importantly it must taste great...
Disney made a name for themselves by thinking more highly of their customers.

I think you will be surprised with 7DMT, all the insiders on here are comparing it BTMRR.
Like who? I can only recall seeing people say not to get your hopes up that it'll be something at all like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, in level of storytelling or ride time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom