Signature Drink at Gaston's

BigThunderMatt

I feel that the tavern theme and the mugs just make it seem too much like a Butterbeer knock off. Sure, they serve similar drinks at Carsland, but how many local Florida APs necessarily make it out there to even know it exists? All they're going to see is Disney serving a non-alcoholic drink in a plastic mug with a flavored foam added to the top and say 'Meh, Universal did it first.' Which is pretty much the same thing I'm saying too.

HenryMystic

I feel that the tavern theme and the mugs just make it seem too much like a Butterbeer knock off. Sure, they serve similar drinks at Carsland, but how many local Florida APs necessarily make it out there to even know it exists? All they're going to see is Disney serving a non-alcoholic drink in a plastic mug with a flavored foam added to the top and say 'Meh, Universal did it first.' Which is pretty much the same thing I'm saying too.
They'll know in a few years when Carsland opens at DHS (allegedly.)

Weather_Lady

And why is the lodge English? The film clearly takes place in France.

I'm mystified about this, too -- what a bizarre way for Disney to characterize it when the French setting of Beauty and the Beast is so played-up elsewhere (and when it wouldn't seem that there's much architectural difference between a French lodge and an English one, anyway)! Will they next tell us that Bonjour Gifts is Tirolian in design, while the nearby restrooms are decidedly Japanese? (This would be very disappointing, as I had this wild hope that they'd be the first at WDW to go full-French by offering bidets!) ;)

JustInTime

How many years ago?

5 I would guess? But don't tell me Carsland was in development longer. Obviously it was. However, I am sure they were less likely to plan a frozen beverage in the early stages of Carsland as they were for a Tavern. You know, a place where you kinda have to plan food around the theme. Also the fact that a wizard neighbor is a getting rich selling frothy, frozen beverages in Orlando probably had something to do with it as well. No doubt these were planned for Orlando and just worked for Carsland too.

lazyboy97o

Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if it was developed for both since the concept art from 5 years ago depicted this drink. I would imagine it was actually developed FOR BATB but since Carsland opened first, it got to serve it first.
Where are you getting that the concept art is five years old? Yes, Fantasyland was in development hell for years, but it was not announced until 2009, two years after Cars Land. Development timeline is of no concern. Sharing the drink is still sad and pathetic.

I guess we can wait for the other drinks from Cars Land to come over under different names when Transformers: The Ride opens and Universal also starts selling Energon, which is also quite tasty.

JustInTime

Where are you getting that the concept art is five years old? Yes, Fantasyland was in development hell for years, but it was not announced until 2009, two years after Cars Land. Development timeline is of no concern. Sharing the drink is still sad and pathetic.

I guess we can wait for the other drinks from Cars Land to come over under different names when Transformers: The Ride opens and Universal also starts selling Energon, which is also quite tasty.

Timeframe doesn't really matter though, does it? And how is sharing a drink pathetic? I guess having Dole Whip in Disneyland and in Magic Kingdom is an abomination. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

I'm mystified about this, too -- what a bizarre way to characterize it. Then again, I have no idea what architectural differences might exist between an English lodge and a French lodge. Apparently I need to get out to lodges more!
Architectural styles typically traveled from France to England.

5 I would guess? But don't tell me Carsland was in development longer. Obviously it was. However, I am sure they were less likely to plan a frozen beverage in the early stages of Carsland as they were for a Tavern. You know, a place where you kinda have to plan food around the theme. Also the fact that a wizard neighbor is a getting rich selling frothy, frozen beverages in Orlando probably had something to do with it as well. No doubt these were planned for Orlando and just worked for Carsland too.
Cozy Cone Motel. Flo's V8 Cafe. The cancelled Dive-In Theater. Food was always stated as being an integral part of Cars Land.

lazyboy97o

Timeframe doesn't really matter though, does it? And how is sharing a drink pathetic? I guess having Dole Whip in Disneyland and in Magic Kingdom is an abomination. :rolleyes:
If you're going to postulate hypotheticals, get your facts straight.

Dole Whip is not exclusive to Disney, it is a product of Dole. If one wants to sell at it elsewhere, one just needs to purchase it from Dole. In Hollywood there is even a place that specialized in Dole Whip. The whole point of a signature drink such as Butterbeer is that it complements and enhances the theme, itself becoming a detail. If Energon was the same thing as Butterbeer, the luster of both would have been lost. Such now is the case with Red's Apple Freeze and Le Fou's Brew. They're now such a Disney drink sold in a limited number of places, not a detail that further's the story.

SirNim

The whole point of a signature drink such as Butterbeer is that it complements and enhances the theme, itself becoming a detail. If Energon was the same thing as Butterbeer, the luster of both would have been lost. Such now is the case with Red's Apple Freeze and Le Fou's Brew. They're now such a Disney drink sold in a limited number of places, not a detail that further's the story.
Good point. They're not found in the original content that is the ultimate underpinning for a particular themed land, they're just drinks concocted by culinary grads with an eye for chichi fashionable Hollywoodesque trends like fruit flavoured foam that can add on the $$ premium to the price.

JustInTime

Architectural styles typically traveled from France to England.

Cozy Cone Motel. Flo's V8 Cafe. The cancelled Dive-In Theater. Food was always stated as being an integral part of Cars Land.
Right. But those are standard dinning options where this drink worked. Clearly a signature drink was in the early plans for Gaston's Tavern. I don't even know why it matters.

ChrisM

Ignoring the obvious and desperate attempt to rip off Butterbeer...why couldn't this be an ACTUAL signature drink instead of just a Cars Land copy?

Clearly this can mean only one thing: Carsland is coming to the Magic Kingdom.

You heard it here first, folks.

lazyboy97o

Right. But those are standard dinning options where this drink worked. Clearly a signature drink was in the early plans for Gaston's Tavern. I don't even know why it matters.
I already answered why it matters in my previous post. Are you unfamiliar with the setup of the Cozy Cone Motel, where each Cone offers its own specialized, limited menu? Even if a drink was always planned for Gaston's Tavern, it does not change that such a drink has been diminished by being reduced from detail to just being a drink with limited availability.

SirLink

More like they counted each sale of a drink at Cozy Cone and the most popular ended up in Gaston's. Just think we could of been sipping the following as "LeFou’s Brew": “Pear of Dice” Soda (desert pear syrups and non-alcoholic mojito flavoring topped with Sprite".

And we all know the mojito flavor was big in 18th Century France, I bet it was equal only to that of Mango and Passion Fruit especially in a rural village setting.

Cmdr_Crimson

The goblets and mugs look too cheesy for my standards.

Reminds me of something I'd get in a Happy Meal.

More along the lines of the Disney On Ice Mugs like this Hercules one..
images

SirNim

More like they counted each sale of a drink at Cozy Cone and the most popular ended up in Gaston's. Just think we could of been sipping the following as "LeFou’s Brew": “Pear of Dice” Soda (desert pear syrups and non-alcoholic mojito flavoring topped with Sprite".

And we all know the mojito flavor was big in 18th Century France, I bet it was equal only to that of Mango and Passion Fruit especially in a rural village setting.
Can I like this post twice? lol

FettFan

The goblets and mugs look too cheesy for my standards.

Reminds me of something I'd get in a Happy Meal.

Agreed. BUT...these are probably the child-sized servings (hence having a Belle chalice available for little princesses)

I'm sure they will have glass mugs for adults, and possibly souvenir mugs and steins for purchase. :)

Animaniac93-98

The Belle mug looks like a cheap attempt to shoehorn something "official trademark Disney princess brand!" into a place that has little relevance to it, but at least Gaston's mug is theme appropirate (if too simple in design).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom