Shout out to Parents

KnK

Original Poster
Just wanted to give a big shout out to all of you brave parents who make your way through the parks.

Just got back from spending a couple of days with my family: 2 grandparents, 1 Auntie (me), sister, husband, kids (Ages 7, 4 and 1), another sister, husband and 2 year old.

First time for most of them, too many to count for me.

Having not been blessed with children, I loved being able to experience the park through kids eyes. The family was thrilled to have me there, for nothing other than an extra pair of hands and can always locate the fasted bathroom. I only got to spend 2 of the 7 days with them, but wow what a couple of days.

General observations (humor notes):

1) Wish they could have had meltdowns at the same time. You'd get one happy, then it was on to the next one. Seemed to be a round robin effect.

2) No one has to go to the bathroom at the same time. Even if you ask 10 times before you take one, the other one has to go as soon as you get back.

3) Strollers are much harder to deal with than I would have expected. I now understand (and will be much more tolerant) how difficult they are to maneuver in throngs of people.

4) Not sure why we bothered with children's meals since they all want to eat what's on your plate or drink what you've got......even if it's the same thing they have.

5) I'm fairly certain that sweaty hot children weigh more.

6) It's all worth it. Seeing those kids eyes when they see their favorite character or ride that special ride makes all the pain go away.

Thank you to all those parents that take the time to make magical memories with your kids. I know having to listen to the whining, the tiredness, and heat can start to make you cave on another trip, but in the end the trip will all be worth it.

I grew up going to Disneyland every year. I remember the first time I saw the Main Street Electrical parade when I was growing up. I got to experience it again alone with my dad (turned 67 while we were there) the last night. Yet another magical experience for a father and daughter at any age.

fireworkz

:sohappy: Great List!

2) No one has to go to the bathroom at the same time. Even if you ask 10 times before you take one, the other one has to go as soon as you get back.

You forgot one that fits in with the above - they want to go to the bathroom once you're only one or two parties away from boarding the attraction after being in line for 20 minutes!

kerrie

as amom of tow i find this soo funny because your right withjust about everything. an if people without kids a bit more tolorant of the ones with kids it would take that little extra edge off too

KnK

Original Poster
:sohappy: Great List!

You forgot one that fits in with the above - they want to go to the bathroom once you're only one or two parties away from boarding the attraction after being in line for 20 minutes!

So true. LOL. I got a call telling me they had to stop the Star Tours ride because my niece screamed so loud that she need to change seats. I'm feeling sorry for the other folks on the ride!

Batphobic

thanks - great post. And so nice to hear from someone w/o kids who isn't only frustrated and wishing the kids away.

And you're right -- it can be a challenge (I have 4 from age 1 thru age 8) but it is worth it! No where else, no other vacation, would they be as good as they are at DW, because no where else is so magical.

I do, though, reallllllly look forward to when I can stroll through MK w/o stroller, diaper bag, snacks, change of clothes for all kids, blankets for nap-time in the park, sippy cups, etc etc etc

ErickainPA

Thank you for this post. It really is great fun to see Disney through kids eyes. We took our son at 7 months and 10 months to the World and Land. My twin girls didn't go until they were just over a year and we had grandma with us, since our son was only a little over 2 at the time. Our pace was different for sure, I sent my husband off to do things he wanted, since I really am not a huge ride person (things like Test Track, Space Mountain, RNR and such) Dealing with pushing a double stroller with a single folded with us, as my mom was on an electric cart (which my son always wanted to ride with her) and then people just stopping in the middle of the area instead of getting to the side, even after saying excuse me 4 times. (sorry but if I say excuse me more than 2-3 times, I think I have a right to run your foot over for being ignorant :) ) Going to the World should be fun for all, and when you are taking kids to enjoy it for the 1st or even 100th time, you want to enjoy yourself as well.

My ex-boyfriend's sister's husband works in Disney World and I asked her about something and she said you know, honestly you know more about Disney than I do, sorry I can't help. So when people in my twins club say they are going to Disney, most people will ask the 3-4 of us who they say are "Disney" people where the best bathrooms are, things to do and such. It's funny.

SAV

I just got back and this was the first trip we had done without a stroller in 9 years(DD is 9 and DS is 5) and boy was it nice. I was a proud member of the stroller brigade, so I know what it's like having one while touring. While it is great to have a place to put all of your stuff, it's even nicer to not have to push one around, navigating through people, parking it, tracking it back down, loading it, unloading it etc.

I laugh about your list because my thought coming back was at most points throughout the day, someone is always crabby about something. The bathroom is almost comical. As you say you ask and ask, but you get through the line and then the "I have to go potty. Didn't we just ask that? Yes, but I didn't have to go then".

Luckily, the kids dining plan was free with our pin code, or it would have been a huge waste for my DS. He was content eating Goldfish crackers and our chocolate cake desserts. DD did fine with it and polished off her food.

I am still thinking about booking a trip for just me and DW, but I know once we got there, we'd miss the kids and wouldn't feel right about it.

Erika

You made me laugh, you made me cry :ROFLOL:

Great observations-- and so very true! I'm so glad you got to experience that bit of extra magic. It's such a different experience, and so rewarding.

cowanfamily

Those tracks running down MSUSA are torture on strollers as well. Not to mention the nice castmembers that move your strollers while your at an attraction. You come out looking all over the place for them. 2 years and I'm stroller free!

woodardfamily

Nothing beats a WDW trip with kids. We just got back today. I loved the part where my 20 mo DD was called out at CoP for standing up. The ride stopped momentarily and the audio got our of sync for one scene. Loved it. Oh, I also love the "magical" part where she had a COMPLETE meltdown outside of Finding Nemo the Musical. She threw in a mock seizure for everyone's entertainment. Another Oscar-worthy moment (and they were several) were the back-arching-screaming-and-flailing of not wanting to get in the stroller. In all seriousness, you have to prepare yourself for a toddlers actions. They will happen and you have to ignore all the dirty looks you get from the non-parents or others who seem know better than you how to handle that situation. Those were the rare moments. She was tired...we all were. It was hotter than you know what...Still...what a great vacation.

mouselvrmom

Just wanted to give a big shout out to all of you brave parents who make your way through the parks.

Just got back from spending a couple of days with my family: 2 grandparents, 1 Auntie (me), sister, husband, kids (Ages 7, 4 and 1), another sister, husband and 2 year old.

First time for most of them, too many to count for me.

Having not been blessed with children, I loved being able to experience the park through kids eyes. The family was thrilled to have me there, for nothing other than an extra pair of hands and can always locate the fasted bathroom. I only got to spend 2 of the 7 days with them, but wow what a couple of days.

General observations (humor notes):

1) Wish they could have had meltdowns at the same time. You'd get one happy, then it was on to the next one. Seemed to be a round robin effect.

3) Strollers are much harder to deal with than I would have expected. I now understand (and will be much more tolerant) how difficult they are to maneuver in throngs of people.

4) Not sure why we bothered with children's meals since they all want to eat what's on your plate or drink what you've got......even if it's the same thing they have.

5) I fairly certain that sweaty hot children weigh more.

6) It's all worth it. Seeing those kids eyes when they see their favorite character or ride that special ride makes all the pain go away.

Thank you to all those parents that take the time to make magical memories with your kids. I know having to listen to the whining, the tiredness, and heat can start to make you cave on another trip, but in the end the trip will all be worth it.

I grew up going to Disneyland every year. I remember the first time I saw the Main Street Electrical parade when I was growing up. I got to experience it again alone with my dad (turned 67 while we were there) the last night. Yet another magical experience for a father and daughter at any age.

Great post!!!! I'm glad that you got to see things with a new perspective! You are right, it is really magical to see a child's face light up.

I have four kids, so I have experienced everything that you were talking about. Funny little note, our youngest is 6 years old. We are taking a trip in August and are not planning on bringing strollers (years ago we had to bring three). So tonight we are taking alittle walk and my youngest doesn't want to go. She is whining and carrying on like the baby of the family that she is. So I tell her that we need to build her up for all the walking she is going to do at Disney in a little over a month. I told her that this trip we won't be taking any strollers. She snapped her head at me and gave me "What?" It was priceless. :lol:

maggiegrace1

So glad you got to experience that...:D

Disney got better once I started taking Maggie and I thought it was the best thing ever before I had her..:D

There is nothing like seieng Disney through a childs eyes...and with kids come ups and downs and good and bad but it is all worth it in my opinion!..:D

Thanks for this thread..:)

The Mom

Premium Member
I wised up about the bathrooms - go one, go all, even if one would object, I made him/her "assume the position" and at least try. :lol: And it worked.

KnK

Original Poster
One other thing I forgot. How do you manage to take pictures?

I'm a constant picture taker when we go...this time I got a total of two.

You are either pushing a stroller, holding a child's hand, chasing one around, or carrying one.

I've been enjoying all the great pictures everyone else took on the trip.

KC82271

The original post was dead-on. Being the mom of a 5 year old who is about to go on her 9th trip, you nailed them all!

Back in '98 I went along with friends going on a business trip. They were bringing their 3 and 5 year old. I was going to help the wife out during the day, while the husband was at his meetings. Plus, all my WDW knowledge, was going to be helpful in the parks. After seeing the park through the kids eyes, it changed my whole thought process on kids in the parks. So in 2000, I went with my mom - and it just wasn't the same. In 2001, I took my 4 year old godson, and loved the trip. Since then, I only took 1 trip with a kid. Being it was my husband and I's first trip together to the world, it was still great. Since 2004, we have made 8 trips, and each has been with my daughter. Each trip has been different, because she is older each time.

As for the stoller talks, I am about to make that decision of do I take it this time or not. She will be 5 and a half. I am most likely bringing it for the fact that her legs will be tired, and where else are we going to drop everything when we go on the rides!!!!

heartodisney

Great post! I am looking so forward to our next trip (but NOT the meltdowns), for it will be a first for my DD at 4 years old and a first for my mother-in-law. We will avoid a stroller, go during November while it is cool, and I will be in charge of video and still pics as much as possible (I am sure I will be caught up in "moments" of me turning into a 6 y.o.!). Bathroom trips will surely be novels to post also! Thanks again for this post!

dixiegirl

God reading all these posts I see a bit of our family in all of them!
Starting with going with a 1 year old (yeah we did'nt have a clue so yes we brought the big giant mondo stroller, realizing afterward after lugging it around, yeah we really had no need for it....(now we see parents with them and we say to one another "god bless them".....Having done the potty traing thing as well while in WDW, kinda is a god send when your 7 months prego anyway with your second child....Like gods way of saying " you will need to know where all the bathrooms are in the future when traveling with little ones, trust me"!. Yes so true.....With our girls, one turning 10 next month and our other one turning 7 , we've gone through all the stages desribed with these kids, for the past ten years ....Yes they make you frustrated , they make you cry, make you laugh at some things and other things you wish you could hide under a giant rock...But I would not change any of it for the world...To see their expressions especially at disney....The otherday my youngest and I were watching dvd's from previous trips....To look at them and see the excitement in their eyes and in their voices, Its worth it...In a way I wish I could take back those early times when it was all so new to them. But then We would'nt be where we are now, where we can go as a family on almost every ride(all but RNR , which is killing my 6 year old) ..No stroller, no diapers, no bottles......Its a good thing....Funny beacuse unless you've done it with little ones you'll never get the urge to bring them even at a year old..Because yes even though they won't remember it, you always will!!

I do find we have more happy beverages at the world now...Kinda takes that edge off....

foreverbelle

One other thing I forgot. How do you manage to take pictures?

I'm a constant picture taker when we go...this time I got a total of two.

You are either pushing a stroller, holding a child's hand, chasing one around, or carrying one.

I've been enjoying all the great pictures everyone else took on the trip.

First thank you I loved your post, as a mother of a 1 and a half year old it is so true! All of it. And believe me we went several times without our son..What a difference but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Second this is so true. I was looking at pictures-or the lack there of-from this past one two weeks ago and was like you know, I couldn't take as much, I was to busy just trying to keep up with my son, watching him or trying to keep him entertained....lol.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom