Votes: 44 27.0%
  • Great with it, Great without!

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Its the Epcot wand all over again :(

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters

glee

Original Poster
I really have nothing against the hat and think it has become a symbol of Hollywood studios. I would personally love for them to keep it. Just thought i would make a quick poll so we can get the general feedback.

(Btw there is a forum discussing the "rumour" but they have established that its pretty much going to happen.)
;):animwink:;):wave:

jonnyc

I'd move it to the entrance, or somewhere around there. I think the issue for a lot of people is not the hat itself, but the awful position they decided to put it in.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The hat should be moved. It ruined the entrance and it's far and away the least grand of the 4 official icons.

BrerFrog

I dont think anyone really loves the hat, but it can't be removed now.

Explanation please! :wave:

I have never been to a hatless DHS so I have always thought of the hat as the park's symbol, but after seeing what the hat is hiding from people's view as they enter the park and how awesome Hollywood Blv. looks without it, I say it should be removed.

DoleWhipDiva

Under the HAT is a pin station....kinda strange considering the AK tree is something you can go INISDE, the BALL at EPCOT is a ride, and the CASTLE at MK is a restaurant. If it wasn't just sitting in the middle of nowhere housing a pin station, I would like it more.

PurpleRose

^I agree. I don't hate the hat but I don't like where it is. So out of your choices, I said the hat should go. Not necessarily how I feel. It should just be moved to a better location.

drtbmx

The hat is an awkward dilemma, esp. from Disney's standpoint..... One of the blueprints of the parks in Florida is the central hub and spoke design of the parks, with a major centerpiece, an icon with which that park can be easily recognized/ associated/ BRANDED with.

If you look at early artwork (or in cases such as AK very early blueprint work) its apparent that this design is the way Disney's imagineers design the parks, even when they have no idea yet what the centerpiece is, its just the way Disney does things for the reason mentioned above, it makes sense, the park itself is easily marketed/ recognizable in merch, the park can be easily navigated by guests, maps are easily and clearly presented to guests, etc.

With Hollywood Studios, this park for most part, it doesnt really doesnt follow the typical hub and spoke design. Before the hat there was the chinese theater of the Great movie ride as the "hub" or focal point of the park as you entered. While this view I personally agree looks better than the giant and most importantly useless cartoon hat, marketing the Chinese Theater on merch. really makes no sense for Disney. That image is not a very easily recognizable/ drawnup standalone image like the TOL, Spaceship Earth, The castle, nor is it a Disney created image. It would be like using an image of the Eiffel Tower from the france pavilion to advertise/market/brand Epcot The Earful Tower used to be this representation for the park, but it really isnt a great option as its not really visible inside the park let alone being the focal point, not to mention its not a very "magical" image to think of a water tower when remembering your favorite disney park.

I think Disney recognized this park didnt fit the mold as the rest of their parks did and started to take measures to try and make the park more like the others. Adding Sunset Blvd, Pixar place and the hat have been their attempts at this. In my opinion they didnt do a great job, while Sunset is amazing and works well with the direction I believe they are trying to go with the park, The Hat simply doesnt fit with the theming, and unlike every other focal point/hub in the other 3 parks, it doesnt do anything. Its not a ride, it doesnt have a show in it, it doesnt have a restaurant, or a hotel room in it. Its a poor centerpiece to an amazing park and the fact that it doesnt serve any function just makes it that much worse. Pixar place is one of my favorite parts of the park, but it is very much too small, (one ride for a "land" is pretty pathetic) it is jammed in an awkward small narrow location......And dont even get me started on the "Streets of NY" area, sooo poorly planned, ridiculously boring HUGE waste of space....at the very least there should be CM's back there pretending to shoot movies or putting on various shows in the streets.....or (I cant believe Disney hasnt done this) make some the shops in those streets into functional shops to buy stuff....Plus Animation courtyard....this used to be a really cool place when I was growing up...but they have taken everything out of there....I mean use the space or redo it....right now the little mermaid show there is awesome....but the rest is another huge wasted space.

Well thats enough ranting about one of my favorite Disney parks (despite all its shortcomings :) ) I think its the fact that this is one of my favorite parks and with just a little more work done correctly this could easily be THE best park in my eyes.....

So should the hat go.... I dont really think it looks too bad esp at night but yes it needs to go, but in Disney's eyes it just cant yet until they have a better replacement for the parks centerpiece that meets all the requirements of a traditional Disney park focal point, which personally I completely agree with, if done correctly.....I'm no imagineer but here's to hoping the solution is themed correctly and actually serves a purpose other than to create something soley made to market the park on T-shirts and Mugs......
thanks for listening

Pusta100

I cant wait to see it go. I really like the view of Grauman's Chinese Theatre and Hollywood Boulevard from the park entrance…..the Hat ruined that view.</SPAN>

G-bone

It is in a bad location. Move it to the enterance to walk under/through as you come in. Then, they can put something else in the open space.

DisneyMusician2

The hat's time had come when they put it up in front of the Theatre. Here's hoping the thing gets moved soon, or joins the wand in the extinct disney areas.

cdunbar

I can't say I care either way. If they moved it I'd be ok with that as it allows a view of the theater then...:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom