• NO!! Its a symbol of the studios!!

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • Great with it, Great without!

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Its the Epcot wand all over again :(

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters

MUTZIE77

I have only been to DHS with the Hat in place, but I have seen photos of the view of the theater from the entrance. I think that it should be moved or scrapped to bring back that amzing view. I think it takes a lot away from the Hollywood theme. To the person who said that it's the first thing everyone thinks about when the think about DHS, thats not true. The first thing I think about is TOT and the great movie ride. I dont even stop to look at it or take pictures, if it were functional I would.

yensid67

The hat is an awkward dilemma, esp. from Disney's standpoint..... One of the blueprints of the parks in Florida is the central hub and spoke design of the parks, with a major centerpiece, an icon with which that park can be easily recognized/ associated/ BRANDED with.

If you look at early artwork (or in cases such as AK very early blueprint work) its apparent that this design is the way Disney's imagineers design the parks, even when they have no idea yet what the centerpiece is, its just the way Disney does things for the reason mentioned above, it makes sense, the park itself is easily marketed/ recognizable in merch, the park can be easily navigated by guests, maps are easily and clearly presented to guests, etc.

With Hollywood Studios, this park for most part, it doesnt really doesnt follow the typical hub and spoke design. Before the hat there was the chinese theater of the Great movie ride as the "hub" or focal point of the park as you entered. While this view I personally agree looks better than the giant and most importantly useless cartoon hat, marketing the Chinese Theater on merch. really makes no sense for Disney. That image is not a very easily recognizable/ drawnup standalone image like the TOL, Spaceship Earth, The castle, nor is it a Disney created image. It would be like using an image of the Eiffel Tower from the france pavilion to advertise/market/brand Epcot The Earful Tower used to be this representation for the park, but it really isnt a great option as its not really visible inside the park let alone being the focal point, not to mention its not a very "magical" image to think of a water tower when remembering your favorite disney park.

I think Disney recognized this park didnt fit the mold as the rest of their parks did and started to take measures to try and make the park more like the others. Adding Sunset Blvd, Pixar place and the hat have been their attempts at this. In my opinion they didnt do a great job, while Sunset is amazing and works well with the direction I believe they are trying to go with the park, The Hat simply doesnt fit with the theming, and unlike every other focal point/hub in the other 3 parks, it doesnt do anything. Its not a ride, it doesnt have a show in it, it doesnt have a restaurant, or a hotel room in it. Its a poor centerpiece to an amazing park and the fact that it doesnt serve any function just makes it that much worse. Pixar place is one of my favorite parts of the park, but it is very much too small, (one ride for a "land" is pretty pathetic) it is jammed in an awkward small narrow location......And dont even get me started on the "Streets of NY" area, sooo poorly planned, ridiculously boring HUGE waste of space....at the very least there should be CM's back there pretending to shoot movies or putting on various shows in the streets.....or (I cant believe Disney hasnt done this) make some the shops in those streets into functional shops to buy stuff....Plus Animation courtyard....this used to be a really cool place when I was growing up...but they have taken everything out of there....I mean use the space or redo it....right now the little mermaid show there is awesome....but the rest is another huge wasted space.

Well thats enough ranting about one of my favorite Disney parks (despite all its shortcomings :) ) I think its the fact that this is one of my favorite parks and with just a little more work done correctly this could easily be THE best park in my eyes.....

So should the hat go.... I dont really think it looks too bad esp at night but yes it needs to go, but in Disney's eyes it just cant yet until they have a better replacement for the parks centerpiece that meets all the requirements of a traditional Disney park focal point, which personally I completely agree with, if done correctly.....I'm no imagineer but here's to hoping the solution is themed correctly and actually serves a purpose other than to create something soley made to market the park on T-shirts and Mugs......
thanks for listening

I have yet to see the HAT in question up close, but I do remember the Chinese Theatre at the end of the main street...and although it wasn't in a HUB design, it served as at least the focal point, but I agree that DHS needs to have a suitable themed Icon for merchandising and promotional purposes.
Maybe if we all close our eyes on May 1st at 11:00pm Eastern time, and wish with all our might together that we can send the Imagineers a thought of what the Icon for DHS could be and become. I would hope and wish that maybe DHS would get a MAKE OVER like DCA!!!!:sohappy:

But one last idea, IF they would do a redo of the DHS park, I would hope they take it back to 'a working studio' or make it like DCA rehab...Hollywood of the 1920's when Walt first arrived in Hollywood! What a great park that could become with the existing atttractions revamped and the addition of CARS Landing! AND definitely need to figure WHERE to put the World of Color nighttime show, because you know if its as popular as it seems its gonna be, WDW needs to have it too! What are your thoughts!?

But in my opinion, i think the HAT could stay but put somewhere else, such as right outside the main entrance on the plaza!?

P.S. Don't forget May 1st 11pm eastern time!!!!! A Wish for the Imagineers!

Will
:wave: from PA!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

As good as it looks not to mention the structure is amazing... I just dont think it fits with the contrast of its surroundings. I thought the water tower was just right do to its industrious look. I know they still have it but I think the hat is over the top at least for where it is located at. Spaceship earth fits in with future world, The castle blends in with its surroundings, the tree of life no question about it but a downtown theme with a giant blue hat to me is an eyesore. They should come up with a new logo and make it all bronze to fit in with all the coloring. Maybe bronze statues of fad 5 all standing on their own Pedestals in the center would fit in. Maybe make them all different heights like a pyramid and have mickey on the top.

ttalovebug

Destroy! Destroy!

Seriously speaking, how realistic is the "moving" idea, for anyone in the know? It's not as if they can just pick it up and move it. Would TDO really invest that much time and trouble? I would think that if they no longer want it in front of the theater, it would simply be demolished.

Personally, I think it would look just as hideous, stupid and pointless anywhere else.

glee

Original Poster
What year did you visit the first time?

I heard the same thing about the Epcot Wand..."oh, it's the symbol now" for those who only visited after it was already up there.

Understand why they took down the wand. I first went in 2000.

Its been up for nearly 10 years. It would ridiculous to take it down.

The Chinese Theater has NOTHING to do with Disney movies, Disney television, Disney music, or Disney on stage. The Sorcerer's Hat does.

However, making it the entrance to the park wouldn't be too bad, but then the Crossroads of the World with Mickey on top when you walk in would be overshadowed.

BrerFrog

21 voted no.

I've lost hope in humanity.

I know, I thought the "Yes" option would win by a huge margin.

Understand why they took down the wand. I first went in 2000.

Its been up for nearly 10 years. It would ridiculous to take it down.

I don't think the fact that it has been up for 10 years turns it into an "unremovable" item. Attractions that were much more loved by fans than the Hat had longer stands than 10 years, but that didn't stop any of them from being destroyed.

glee

Original Poster
I don't think the fact that it has been up for 10 years turns it into an "unremovable" item. Attractions that were much more loved by fans than the Hat had longer stands than 10 years, but that didn't stop any of them from being destroyed.

I didnt say that. :) But it HAS become a symbol. As much as alot of you dont want to admit it, for the last decade newcomers to disney see it as a symbol.:animwink: In ways i think it would be irresponsible of disney to take it down.

BrerFrog

I didnt say that. :) But it HAS become a symbol. As much as alot of you dont want to admit it, for the last decade newcomers to disney see it as a symbol.:animwink: In ways i think it would be irresponsible of disney to take it down.

Oh, the way you phrased the end of your post seemed to imply that. :)

I am one of the people who think of the hat as the park's symbol, since the one and only time I went to Disney was back in 2008-2009 so the DHS that I am familiar with has a big hat sitting at the end of Hollywood Boulevard.

Still, after going through so many pictures of how the old street looked like I have to say the hat is indeed out of place, despite of how good it looks by itself. It clashes with the park's theme and hides a beautiful building from view.

Chrononymous

Don't love it...don't hate it either.

Just move it somewhere else, and give me back that amazing theme and veiw of Hollywood Blvd.
(to me the Chinese Theatre says Hollywood Studios...more than the hat ever will.)

WDWhumanmap

Yes bc as a cm thats the best question from a guest ever...whats the ride in the hat!:ROFLOL: It never gets old! though my response will forever be its a 3 part attraction...
1) you go up and down in it like spaceship earth:D
2) you ride the rim like a roller coaster:cool:
3) at the end you pin trade and meet&greet with characters:wave:
and if your lucky now you can get a front row seat for pep rally :ROFLOL:
ahh its still priceless and should stay for that reason though it should be removed bc no one realizes there is a real attraction behind it. :brick:

glee

Original Poster
Oh, the way you phrased the end of your post seemed to imply that. :)

I am one of the people who think of the hat as the park's symbol, since the one and only time I went to Disney was back in 2008-2009 so the DHS that I am familiar with has a big hat sitting at the end of Hollywood Boulevard.

Still, after going through so many pictures of how the old street looked like I have to say the hat is indeed out of place, despite of how good it looks by itself. It clashes with the park's theme and hides a beautiful building from view.

I know what your saying, it does look beautiful but i think guests will find it to look empty once the hat is gone.:)

1DisneyDad

Keep it. My kids have grown up with it. If they get rid of it, 15 years from now they'll start a thread to bring back the hat! :)

trr1

Keep it. My kids have grown up with it. If they get rid of it, 15 years from now they'll start a thread to bring back the hat! :)

mad_baby.jpg

NO,I dont think so!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom