Seven Dwarves Mine Ride Construction

Tom

Beta Return
Any stats on the ride yet? Height? Speed? Length?

As for height....not very high. As you can see in the aerial photos, much of the infrastructure is below grade, so the hills will already start low, and probably won't be very tall due to this being a family coaster. Besides, I don't suspect they're looking to have a "mountain" in FL.

As for speed, I personally haven't seen or heard anything.

By length, do you mean physical track length, or duration? Based on the track layout, and knowing how similar coasters travel, I'm guessing a 3-min ride, max.

hpyhnt 1000

As for height....not very high. As you can see in the aerial photos, much of the infrastructure is below grade, so the hills will already start low, and probably won't be very tall due to this being a family coaster. Besides, I don't suspect they're looking to have a "mountain" in FL.

As for speed, I personally haven't seen or heard anything.

By length, do you mean physical track length, or duration? Based on the track layout, and knowing how similar coasters travel, I'm guessing a 3-min ride, max.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything very high. Since it takes place in the middle of a forest, think more rolling hills than mountain peaks. And Lee has said its somewhere between Barnstormer and BTMRR in terms of intensity. For comparison, the lift hill of the Barnstormer gets you up to about 30 feet and BTMRR around 50 feet, so I would maybe around 35 to 40 feet max for the initial lift hill.

As far as length and speed, that really is up in the air, in large part because we don't know the magnitude of the show scenes. Again, for comparison:

- Barnstormer: Length: 679 feet, Ride Time: <1:00, Max Speed: 25mph
- BTMRR: Length: 2780 feet, Ride Time: 3:25, Max Speed: 30mph

*Numbers from Wikipedia so they may be off (but they seem pretty accurate to me).

So there ya go. Again, figure something in between the two and you should have a good idea of how long/fast this new coaster will go.

PolynesianPrincess

It looks to me like the "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train" is going to be a slightly more elaborate version of this ride called "Trailblazer" at Hershey Park. They're both small in scale, low to the ground, and have corkscrew turns. This video really doesn't do it justice, and the "Trailblazer" doesn't have any kind of show elements like Disney will, but zipping around low to the ground in between trees at high speed is a lot of fun, the "Seven Dwarfs" should be pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GVez8Lrgz4

I have been on Trailblazer before and it was really fun. We had a little one with us (my 5 year old cousin) and she loved it! If this is similar to how the mine train coaster will be, then I think it will be a hit for the whole family.

cbconglom

but it's kinda moutainish right?
i-hMnTVPV-O.jpg

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I have been on Trailblazer before and it was really fun. We had a little one with us (my 5 year old cousin) and she loved it! If this is similar to how the mine train coaster will be, then I think it will be a hit for the whole family.

I do not know how much of a similarity I can see it having with a mid-70's Arrow Coaster. You can almost guarantee that the guide wheels will be outboard. Even Vekoma has moved to outboard since RnR. It will be interesting to see who gets the contract for the track. Logically Intamin can be scratched off with their several pending suits and horrendous ride system problems that they currently have. Nothing S&S has could fit the lineup as far as I can see.

maxairmike

Vekoma handles both the track and trains. I believe the models and art have all had the outside guide wheels, so I would expect a track system similar to Everest. There are only a few companies that handle trains exclusively anymore, and those are usually for wooden coasters. Otherwise, the manufacturers/designers handle both trains and track when it comes to steel coasters.

EDIT: However...given that this is supposed to be a mine train style...I might not rule out the Arrow style track quite yet. I wouldn't expect it, however.

Skibum1970

Original Poster
Vekoma is providing the ride for the Hong Kong DL Grizzly Gulch coaster as well, including a different type of lift that looks interesting.

In looking at the photos from DaMouse, the hole of the SDMR seem to be around 20 feet deep. I used the man standing down in the hole as a guage and counted the sections of the wall beside him. Now, perspective is everthing but, if the "mountain" extends above grade by, say, 30-40 feet, that would give plenty of room for a few hills, curves, and other fun stuff. Granted that this ride is supposed to be less than Big Thunder, I think that it will be a lot of fun. Now, we just have to be patient during the construction process.

Lee

Adventurer
Vekoma is providing the ride for the Hong Kong DL Grizzly Gulch coaster as well, including a different type of lift that looks interesting.

In looking at the photos from DaMouse, the hole of the SDMR seem to be around 20 feet deep. I used the man standing down in the hole as a guage and counted the sections of the wall beside him. Now, perspective is everthing but, if the "mountain" extends above grade by, say, 30-40 feet, that would give plenty of room for a few hills, curves, and other fun stuff. Granted that this ride is supposed to be less than Big Thunder, I think that it will be a lot of fun. Now, we just have to be patient during the construction process.

The pit is almost exclusively for infrastructure. The ride itself will barely travel below grade. The "hills" are more like "gentle slopes".
:lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The pit is almost exclusively for infrastructure. The ride itself will barely travel below grade. The "hills" are more like "gentle slopes".
:lol:

I think it is important that people don't lose sight that it is a "family" coaster, and that it is in Fantasyland. It isn't going to be a thrill ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom