Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Preview Thoughts

CinematicFusion

The key qualifier is bolded.

Sure, it's great for its intended demographic. But it lacks the universal appeal and epic scope of true classics (Pirates, Splash, Mansion...)

As I've said, it's great for what it is. The world's greatest kiddie coaster.
We are in agreement. It's the worlds greatest kiddie coaster inside fantasyland. Makes it an instant classic for its target market. Disney did a great job.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'll second those suggestions, and also add a bunch of LED-lit gemstones scattered all around sparkling on the OUTSIDE of the mountain for a better nighttime effect. Not really much we can do about the track length at this point, which also restricts any extra show elements as well. Though the outside could theoretically be improved somewhat in a future plussing (again though it's limited to smaller elements due to space reasons).
Not a bad idea. I like it!

The positives about the attraction have all been said. For what the attraction is, it gets the job done, and done well. That being said, it isn't perfect. And it's not an instant classic if held to Disney standards.

The first half of the ride feels like the beginning of Expedition Everest. Except in Everest's case, that is just a warm up section. In the 7DMT, it's basically a third of the attraction. That's where most of my criticism comes in. If you're going to call it an instant classic, you've got to give me more than simply swinging through some trees, a short (albeit great) show scene, more swinging among trees, then another short scene through a window at the end.

Everest has show scenes and the thrill factor
Big Thunder Mountain has show scenes and 3 lift hills.
Splash Mountain has several show scenes and the thrill factor
Radiator Springs has several show scenes, thrill factor, and the kitchen sink.

I'm sorry, but I can't call this an "instant classic." Not when its predecessors all out-pace the attraction. I'm sure it will have long lines, but there are several rides at WDW that have long lines and are not necessarily classics. It will be a hit for younger audiences, but I have a younger cousin in the target age group for 7DMT. She'd rather ride "big girl rides" such as Splash, Thunder, and Space. Once she reached 40" tall, any ride under that height requirement she wouldn't be interested in, such as Barnstormer. She'll go on this when we go down this summer, but I can hear her now saying that she likes other rides better because they're faster and "cooler." Granted I understand not all kids are the same, but I'd be hard pressed not to think she is not the only kid who thinks this way. I sure did when I was a kid.

MerlinTheGoat

BTW, the gems weren't my idea and I take no credit for it. I got the idea from the original concept art overhead of New Fantasyland, which showed off what was clearly supposed to be glittering gems on the outside near the various entrances to the mine (zoom into the picture and check out the outside areas surrounding the mine shaft entrances more closely and you'll see the colored gems i'm talking about)-
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/new-fantasyland-overview-high-res.jpg

It's one of the elements I was hoping would make it into the final product. Preferably done to an even greater extent than the concept art showed off. Sadly they didn't include this aspect at all, and i'm actually somewhat disappointed with how the outside looks at night to be honest after seeing numerous photos and videos of it in action after dark. All the other mountain facades have stunning colored spotlighting and are just as fun (if not better) ridden at night due to that attention to detail.
5435489672_b6fcabac7e_z.jpg

The Mine Train is lacking in that regard and doesn't feel like they did as well with lighting it at night, just some lanterns scattered about that don't help illuminate the scenery very well. Having sparkling LED-lit gemstones adorning the whole thing would have gone a long way to making it one hell of a gorgeous spectacle to behold at night. It reminds me slightly of the lovely old Main Street hub trees that were adorned with twinkling lights...

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

That's for damn sure.

It's nice, but jeez....

I'm calling my shot. Sometimes you see something and you know it works. This ride is going to work and will be an instant classic.
Laugh all you want at what I say. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong. But this ride is the right type of ride at the right spot in the park.
This ride wouldn't work in another area, most are trying to make this ride something it isn't. Tower of terror wouldn't work in the middle of fantasyland

But whoever came up with this ride for the center piece of fantasyland...hats off to you.
Disney doesn't need to bring people to magic kingdom....they will come anyway. What they did do is give families with small children (38 inches) a chance to ride a well themed thrill ride together as a family.
It's going to be a huge hit.
When the hype dies down..it will still be a huge hit, kids are going to grow up with fond memories of this ride. It will be their first big roller coaster.

I can't believe you guys can't see it.

The Duck

BTW, the gems weren't my idea and I take no credit for it. I got the idea from the original concept art overhead of New Fantasyland, which showed off what was clearly supposed to be glittering gems on the outside near the various entrances to the mine (zoom into the picture and check out the outside areas surrounding the mine shaft entrances more closely and you'll see the colored gems i'm talking about)-
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/new-fantasyland-overview-high-res.jpg

It's one of the elements I was hoping would make it into the final product. Preferably done to an even greater extent than the concept art showed off. Sadly they didn't include this aspect at all, and i'm actually somewhat disappointed with how the outside looks at night to be honest after seeing numerous photos and videos of it in action after dark. All the other mountain facades have stunning colored spotlighting and are just as fun (if not better) ridden at night due to that attention to detail.
5435489672_b6fcabac7e_z.jpg

The Mine Train is lacking in that regard and doesn't feel like they did as well with lighting it at night, just some lanterns scattered about that don't help illuminate the scenery very well. Having sparkling LED-lit gemstones adorning the whole thing would have gone a long way to making it one hell of a gorgeous spectacle to behold at night. It reminds me slightly of the lovely old Main Street hub trees that were adorned with twinkling lights...
I would like to see more added to the outside as well but I can't help but feel that more of the glowing gemstones on the outside of the mine entrances might look like Christmas lights from the walkway. Some spotlights on the hill would be a nice plus as would a few more animals here and there along the track.
Any of these should be an easy add on so let's keep our fingers crossed.

MerlinTheGoat

I would like to see more added to the outside as well but I can't help but feel that more of the glowing gemstones on the outside of the mine entrances might look like Christmas lights from the walkway. Some spotlights on the hill would be a nice plus as would a few more animals here and there along the track.
Any of these should be an easy add on so let's keep our fingers crossed.
I think twinkling gems are easy enough to distinguish from Christmas lights for it to work well. And with enough of them all at once adorning the mountain, it would illuminate the ride as a whole and make it clear that they're supposed to be part of the mountain and not just a holiday thing. Though the trick is to make them sparkle, not like the static lit ones inside the mine scene.

I also agree with more animals around the outside of the track. Sadly it looks like we'll never get our outdoor scene of the dwarfs marching home along the log bridge though, not sure if it could ever be added in at this point (I suppose it's possible but I don't know, kind of limited track space to do anything like that).

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well y'all have started my list of what I am NOT riding at UNI when I finally get there. What's this ride called again?

The ride is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and despite what other have said I think it is an amazing ride. Unless you have REALLY serious motion sickness problems I would give it a try. My wife was concerned about going on because of motion sickness but she had no problem.

lebeau

Eh....I'd call it a double.
It's a nice little D-ticket, sure.
But, please....it's going to be shown up in just a few weeks when Gringotts opens.

Instant classic...:rolleyes:

Baseball's not really my game. I always thought getting on any base was a "base hit". Double is fair. I might even give them credit for a triple. But it falls short of a home run. And yet many here are calling it a grand slam. I guess they should get some credit just for stepping up to the plate at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Baseball's not really my game. I always thought getting on any base was a "base hit". Double is fair. I might even give them credit for a triple. But it falls short of a home run. And yet many here are calling it a grand slam. I guess they should get some credit just for stepping up to the plate at this point.

Technically, any hit that results in a runner making it to first base safely that isn't the result of an error or a fielders choice is a base hit, but it's often used as a synonym for a single while a hit greater than a single (double, triple, HR) is referred to as an extra base hit.

On the Disney analogy to Mine Train I look at it like they stepped up to the plate and lowered the bat to bunt, setting expectations of at most an infield single. As the pitch was delivered they pulled the bat back and swung away driving the ball in the gap and off the wall for a stand up triple. Some people felt they should have rounded third and went for the home run so they are still disappointed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
is gringotts 40" height requirement? if so I think its more than fair to compare

Isn't Gringotts supposed to be an e-ticket ride? It's a little unfair to compare what we mostly all agree is at most a solid D ticket with an E at another park. I think a more fair comparison is probably Transformers to this ride since they are both D tickets. Of course they are completely different experiences so it's hard to compare.

Disneyhead'71

Isn't Gringotts supposed to be an e-ticket ride? It's a little unfair to compare what we mostly all agree is at most a solid D ticket with an E at another park. I think a more fair comparison is probably Transformers to this ride since they are both D tickets. Of course they are completely different experiences so it's hard to compare.
I believe that Transformers is also an E Ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom