Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Preview Thoughts

Californian Elitist

DL has done just fine for years with Gadget's Go Coaster (the same thing basically as Barnstormer) together with the Matterhorn (which was for a long time a 38" "starter" coaster that kids could enjoy). Don't see why this would be any different with MK.

Isn't Barnstormer in Fantasyland? Matterhorn and Gadget's Go Coaster are in two different lands. I don't think this is a good comparison.

Magenta Panther

For an adult, Barnstormer is ridiculously uncomfortable to ride. When I dragged my bony behind off it last time, I could scarcely walk.

The ride was a virtual walk-on at the time, but my 9 year old niece had zero interest in re-riding.

Yeah, I can see Barnstormer's days being numbered.

I have the same gripe with Space Mountain. I thought I was gonna break my back the last time I rode on it. The swaying and jerking and slamming up and down...jeez. That attraction needs a new smoother track system. It is a literal pain to ride as it is now.

CinematicFusion

Apples and Oranges comparisons whenever you're listing Uni v. Disney. I've yet to see a POV video from Forbidden Journey that holds a candle to the Mine scene and the dwarves animitronics.

All six of our grandchildren are looking forward to riding the Mine coaster when we return for MNSSHP!
I agree

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The problem with removing Barnstormer is What is left of StoryBook?
Therein lies one of the flaws of recycling the structures and coaster.

Wouldn't it have been better to have demolished Toontown completely and use all the land for FLE? More cohesive theming, more space for M&G, possibly another dark ride. Instead it was like "we've got those tents to rebuild as cheap buildings. What theme can we use? Aha!" Instead you get the beautiful Mermaid rock facade abruptly dead ending.

Tonka's Skipper

Of course you haven't... you can't get Disney's hook out of your mouth enough to see the screen in front of you.

and the same thing can be said of fans of Uni and most other parks.

I really don't understand why you have to insult another poster when they disagree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

AKK

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Wouldn't it have been better to have demolished Toontown completely and use all the land for FLE? More cohesive theming, more space for M&G, possibly another dark ride. Instead it was like "we've got those tents to rebuild as cheap buildings. What theme can we use? Aha!" Instead you get the beautiful Mermaid rock facade abruptly dead ending.

How about it! I thought the Barnstormer was themed so much better prior to this theming. Now it looks similar to the chain link at amusement parks. The Squirting chain is cute, minus that awful fence around Casey but not that many people want their kids soaked or wanting to deal with that in a restroom stall. Parents tend to want to cool their kids down over lunch not eat out of stand in one of those kiosk carts.

My son was a baby when Mickey's Birthday Land opened. It was fun and then it grew to be better over the years for my DD. Toon was a great place to let a kid wander, climb and blow off Toddler energy. Parents can't really do that at Circus.

jlsHouston

How about it! I thought the Barnstormer was themed so much better prior to this theming. Now it looks similar to the chain link at amusement parks. The Squirting chain is cute, minus that awful fence around Casey but not that many people want their kids soaked or wanting to deal with that in a restroom stall. Parents tend to want to cool their kids down over lunch not eat out of stand in one of those kiosk carts.

My son was a baby when Mickey's Birthday Land opened. It was fun and then it grew to be better over the years for my DD. Toon was a great place to let a kid wander, climb and blow off Toddler energy. Parents can't really do that at Circus.

I don't like Circus much. I do like the interactive queue for Dumbo. Barnstormer is fine if it's walk on. DGS7 still likes it alot. And other than that FL is rapidly becoming my last liked land at MK, and it use to be my favorite.

doctornick

If 7DMT is going to be a beginner ride, I agree. Why even bother with Barnstormer? It's less than a minute with minimal theme.
Isn't Barnstormer in Fantasyland? Matterhorn and Gadget's Go Coaster are in two different lands. I don't think this is a good comparison.

That's an arbitrary distinction. Storybook Circus could easily be labelled a seperate land (and should be IMHO) much like Toontown in MK was before it and how Toontown is in DLR.

That said, it's true that the 7DMT is closer to Barnstomer than Gadget is to the Matterhorn but they are all in the same region of the park (upper right corner). I don't see how the distance between them would have any sort of impact. It's not like Gadget and Matterhorn are anywhere near as far apart as BTMRR and Space (for example) where you are literally crossing the park.

doctornick

While I agree with you, I also think a big problem is that they didn't fully flesh out Storybook Circus as a land. If they were committed to doing a circus theme (not an unreasonable ideal, really, and something that was planned long ago for DL IIRC), they needed to do more than just reskinning the tents and moving Dumbo there. There is room for more in the area -- at least a circus themed dark ride -- but today's TDO doesn't seem to have a will to utilize land to its greatest degree and focuses on doing "just enough".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Apples and Oranges comparisons whenever you're listing Uni v. Disney. I've yet to see a POV video from Forbidden Journey that holds a candle to the Mine scene and the dwarves animitronics.

All six of our grandchildren are looking forward to riding the Mine coaster when we return for MNSSHP!

No video can do justice to Forbidden Journey, it's one of those rides that very hard to get a good on ride video of.

spacemt354

Chili's
That's an arbitrary distinction. Storybook Circus could easily be labelled a seperate land (and should be IMHO) much like Toontown in MK was before it and how Toontown is in DLR.

That said, it's true that the 7DMT is closer to Barnstomer than Gadget is to the Matterhorn but they are all in the same region of the park (upper right corner). I don't see how the distance between them would have any sort of impact. It's not like Gadget and Matterhorn are anywhere near as far apart as BTMRR and Space (for example) where you are literally crossing the park.

I think you are missing the point of what I was trying to say. It's not necessarily about the distance between the two rides or the location within the park for that matter...because Gadget's Go coaster is located in the center back of DL instead of the upper right corner.

What was being discussed earlier and what I was saying was that, what purpose does Barnstormer serve? With 7DMT taking over as the family/"starter" coaster in the park, why have a second, far-less superior version of 7DMT in the same park?

The situation with DL, focusing on Gadget and Matterhorn, is not a good comparison to 7DMT/Barnstormer situation. It's like apples to oranges for me. In addition to the things I said in my previous post: Matterhorn was built in 1959. Gadget was 1993. Gadget's purpose was not to take over as the new "starter" coaster. In fact I'd hardly call Matterhorn a starter coaster. Sure, you could point to the height requirement, but you sit by yourself on the ride. I was 44" one year but I skipped Space Mountain because my parents were not confortable with me sitting by myself yet. It's not just height, it's maturity. Something that doesn't come into play with 7DMT. Also, DL has so many rides (far more than WDW's MK) which makes me think there was hardly a sole purpose to the Gadget's existence other than adding another kiddie ride. That's much different than a Barnstormer redo in 2012 and 7DMT in 2014.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Yep, I liked all the versions of Toon over Circus. Donald Ducks boat they could play on, the Train they can't. I loved Minnie and Mickey's Houses and the Short Skits in the tents. My kids likely did 4 different versions of Toon over the years.
On an adults only trip, we three 40-somethings ventured into Toontown, spending quite a bit of time in the two houses.
There is zero chance that we would venture into SC sans kids.

That 30 minutes we spent in the Dumbo holding pen with my niece (November 2012) was the worst half hour I have ever spent on Disney property. Anywhere! We finally turned in our pager and left.

As others have mentioned, SC needs a people-eating 5 minute plus dark ride, rather than a bone crunching 60 second one-and-done un-themed coaster, which pales in comparison to its sparkling gem sibling, not 2 minutes away.

My opinion, clearly. YMMV

tl77

For an adult, Barnstormer is ridiculously uncomfortable to ride. When I dragged my bony behind off it last time, I could scarcely walk.

The ride was a virtual walk-on at the time, but my 9 year old niece had zero interest in re-riding.

Yeah, I can see Barnstormer's days being numbered.

They've certainly torn down and replaced more impressive rides than the Barnstormer over the years

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Apples and Oranges comparisons whenever you're listing Uni v. Disney.

Its only an apples and oranges depending on what aspects you are comparing. If you just compare what both are at the core (Theme Parks and resorts) then WDW comes out ahead. The problem is that they (WDW) are mostly ahead because of what Disney created in the past, not so much for anything they have done in the last 10 years or so. Anybody who thinks they are not operating off nostalgia is fooling themselves. Most of what WDW has done in the last 10-15 years is good, not great. While Uni still has a lot of catching up to do, they are on a rapid pace. Uni will never have that "tucked away from the rest of the world" feeling you can ONLY get at WDW, but they are making up for it in other ways.

Uni will never hold a place in my heart like Disney does, but I respect what they are doing and I will support it simply because they are ACTUALLY trying to impress me. WDW continues to underachieve and relies on their social media and parks blog to over hype the lackluster offerings. They quote the words of Walt but operate in the exact opposite way he did. Its disrespectful on so many levels. For some reason, people too easily forget the past and what made them great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom