Seas with Nemo and Friends: anglerfish not working

raven

The point he's making is that Forbidden Journey uses Kuka's for PROPS as well - the dementors and the Whomping Willow. These are seldom down, hence the comparison.

Then the technicians on that ride would be trained in Kuka so they could work on any aspect of the ride. Nemo technicians are not. They have only a few on the WDW property that are trained since there isn't many applications of it. Most of them are at SOAT and spend most of the night working on that ride. That is my point.

devoy1701

Then the technicians on that ride would be trained in Kuka so they could work on any aspect of the ride. Nemo technicians are not. They have only a few on the WDW property that are trained since there isn't many applications of it. Most of them are at SOAT and spend most of the night working on that ride. That is my point.

sounds like it all ties back to maintenance budgets again then. Hire more people who are trained on Kuka tech so that one attraction isn't suffering because of the maintenance required on another.

devoy1701

Bingo. Personally I think a starting rate of $29.75/hr is a bit high for staff that mostly sleeps their entire shift.

That was the other point I was going to bring up (because you have brought it up a few times in the past)...either higher MORE people who can work on Kuka OR hold the people who are currently trained in Kuka accountable for their productivity of while they're on the clock.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ride itself, load/unload belts, saltwater air (an leaks) corroding the ride. Only 3 maintenence people are staffed at a time in Nemo. A Kuka arm is also programed by a computer, which none of them of are allowed to use. A qualified Kuka programer has to do it.

If they aren't able to do it themselves regardless, why is it suffering from lack of time? They could have the time, and still not be able to do anything about it from your statement.

devoy1701

If they aren't able to do it themselves regardless, why is it suffering from lack of time? They could have the time, and still not be able to do anything about it from your statement.

His comment is more along the lines of it takes them an entire shift to maintain the Sum of All Thrills Kuka Arms when it really should only take half a shift...and since the ride SoAT actually requires the Kuka arm whereas the Seas does not, the Seas is the one that suffers due to "lack of time."

raven

...hold the people who are currently trained in Kuka accountable for their productivity of while they're on the clock.

It's not just technicians though. Disney needs to hold everybody accountable for their productivity while on the clock. You won't believe the amount of slacking that goes on across the property. Management is tired of dealing with it so they focus on other things which just makes it worse.

Pioneer Hall

It's not just technicians though. Disney needs to hold everybody accountable for their productivity while on the clock. You won't believe the amount of slacking that goes on across the property. Management is tired of dealing with it so they focus on other things which just makes it worse.

Unfortunately this happens in any industry...especially those that don't pay well as Disney tends to do.

njDizFan

I don't understand the hierarchy of your position and in WDW maintenance in general. Don't the managers of each land get an updated report of faulty issues daily or at least weekly? And if so, can't they just go to the person responsible for the task and ask them why it's taking so long?

I sort of understand with the Kuka Arm, they just don't have the people who are qualified to maintain that technology, but can't they just request someone to look at it?

devoy1701

I don't think I ever said one had to do with the other. Was just making a general point...no need to be so defensive.

Not getting defensive. The way you worded your response just made it seem like you were sympathizing with the fact that because every industry has inefficiencies such as this, that it is an acceptable reason for this effect not to be working. Perhaps they should put a sign on some of the attractions "Due to workforce inefficiencies, some of the attraction's effects maynot be working to their fullest ability. We hope to have these issues resolved as soon as our crews can get to them."

While I agree that all companies have workforce inefficiencies, in this case it is directly impacting the quality of product that is being delivered by guests. For argument's sake, if you have 4 techs that are equiped to be able to work on Kuka Arms, but the amount of work requires 5 techs, then they should hire a 5th. But if the amount of work should only require 4 (or even 3) and their inefficiencies or lack of care impacts these employee's ability to adequately maintain all of the Kuka Arms in Epcot in a timely manner, then the employee issue should be addressed immediately.

But alas, it's far more fun to start websites and have park guests keep track of whether an effect is working or not than to hold your maintenance teams accountable for their job. What would that leave us to do anyway besides join JimmyThick's threads about tips for us Doom and Gloomers to have fun in WDW since we're all sidetracked!?

ok, maybe I got a little defensive in this post! :lookaroun

No harm meant!

CJR

can't they just request someone to look at it?

You should be a manager! Why is it so hard to have things running like they should? Guests pay good money to come to a resort that's full of things like the anglerfish that aren't working properly. Disney needs to be a little more proactive than this. I don't really see how it could be that hard to get someone to fix it. Even for a first timer, this is a pretty big element in the ride and is probably noticed. The price to get into Epcot increased recently yet it has no new rides and has more maintenance issues (imo) than any other park. I believe it is Disney's duty to avoid issues like this.

njDizFan

You should be a manager! Why is it so hard to have things running like they should? Guests pay good money to come to a resort that's full of things like the anglerfish that aren't working properly. Disney needs to be a little more proactive than this. I don't really see how it could be that hard to get someone to fix it. Even for a first timer, this is a pretty big element in the ride and is probably noticed. The price to get into Epcot increased recently yet it has no new rides and has more maintenance issues (imo) than any other park. I believe it is Disney's duty to avoid issues like this.
I agree, I don't want you top think I am taking this issue lightly. Maybe it came off as a little passive/agressive when I say "request someone to look at it", what I mean is if they have people with the tech skills to fix the arm working in EPCOT and the land manager knows there is an issue they should get them over to fix Nemo. Bad show is never acceptable, I expect the best. I like your passion you should join our site and help us with our fanbase initiative.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Perhaps they should put a sign on some of the attractions "Due to workforce inefficiencies, some of the attraction's effects maynot be working to their fullest ability. We hope to have these issues resolved as soon as our crews can get to them."

Better yet Disney should put up a sign stating, "if you spend a decent amount of time on Internet message boards complaining about how we can't run our business, please, do not enter, we don't want to disappoint you". :shrug:

ttalovebug

Was definitely not working Saturday. As another poster has already stated, this is a particularly bad scene when the effect is not working because they have this blaring audio of the angler chomping and Marlin screaming, and you see what looks like a lit-up stuffed toy floating in the darkness, not doing anything. And little Marlin is sitting somewhere near the bottom of the scene, upside down, looking dead. The biggest reason, though, that having this scene down is so disappointing is because it's really the only remotely cool thing in the ride. Yes, the projections in the fishtank are charming, but they're still just projections/animations. The angler scene is pretty much the only tangible, three dimensional effect in the whole ride, and it rarely works. That's just beyond unacceptable.

As for this shark- it moves???? I always thought it looked kind of funny, like it should be moving, especially with that weird hissing sound it makes, but since I've never seen it move I assumed it wasn't supposed to. Wow.

Does anyone have a video of it working, or explain what he used to do?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom