Seas with Nemo and Friends: anglerfish not working

devoy1701

No offense, but I'm tired of posts of things that don't work. We visit once a year, and it just ruins our experience. Because we try to find things that are posted being broken instead of enjoying whats there. Time for a new thread of enjoyment for the "tourists"

Just ignore the problems...maybe they will go away on their own. What a great concept to live by!

mickey2008.1

You miss the point! We get there are problems, but are they that critical to the attraction? Yeti, yes! Only because it is presented on Disney DVDS. I have seen many things not working, only because of here, and did it ruin the show,NO! I do not want standards to decrease, but why bash everything. The parks need help, but I can not get the bashing of improvements. FLE is not even done, and all I read is that its crap! HM's new qeue is garbage. This is supposed to be a website that informs, not just hates all WDW. It's a shame. Flame me now! i"m ready for battle.

devoy1701

How am I even remotely bending your words? You seem to be going in a round about manner of saying what I just said. I think you are just not fond of the blunt viewpoint I provided in reference of the matter. If the attraction went under for repair of the "main effect" I can see you post now if the attraction being closed.

For saying you aren't expecting an immediate repair of something you sure do insinuate you are. If you work in real world business then you should understand what it takes to repair something. Even if a main effect is not operating to par it should not be prioritized to shut down and repair if it still generates sufficient hourly numbers. That would only irritate more guests than appease.

Don't let them get to you. I go to enjoy myself and I do just that each and every time, several times a year. If someone goes and makes it a mission to point things out that are broke or not operating then they obviously do not know how to enjoy themselves. Wait… this isn't the grumpy thread… or is it?

There is a stark difference between wanting to shut down an attraction because one of the dolls on iasw is not articulating right and because the kuka arm in one of Nemo's only effects (and definitely the biggest) is not working.

In our company if one of the main features of our products or services go down we divert all necessary man hours to repairing it a quickly as we can. We don't ignore the issue because overall the product still functions without it.

In terms of these attractions they can be looked at the same way...each attraction as a separate product offering with their own unique features. The angler is Nemo's main feature (unless you want to count the omnimover as a feature too) amd keeping it operational should be of chief importance to this attraction. As others have stated in here and as Raven had pointed out with the Kuka Maintenance Engineers, this is not the case here. The kuka arm remains down because maintenance else where is deemed more important. It seems that this attraction of itself is not deemed important enough as others.

devoy1701

You miss the point! We get there are problems, but are they that critical to the attraction? Yeti, yes! Only because it is presented on Disney DVDS. I have seen many things not working, only because of here, and did it ruin the show,NO! I do not want standards to decrease, but why bash everything. The parks need help, but I can not get the bashing of improvements. FLE is not even done, and all I read is that its crap! HM's new qeue is garbage. This is supposed to be a website that informs, not just hates all WDW. It's a shame. Flame me now! i"m ready for battle.

It has alot more to do than just the fact that the Yeti is on some DVDs.

And a good analogy anyway is, anglerfish: Nemo and Friends:: yeti: Everest

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahh okay. So what you are saying is that Disney should have warehouse upon warehouse of each effect and prop of each attraction so that they are promptly switched out when one fails? That makes no sense logistically and seems to be the direction you believe they should be taking.
Nothing so severe, but things used to be fixed when they broke as soon as possible. There was even PPM where DACS or Central would see a problem arising and notify maintainence before it happened - be it a projector bulb nearing life expiry or a motor running slower than normal.

You know Horizons had 2 Omnimax projectors? Did you know there was also a third on permenant hire, boxed up in the projection room? It was on constant standby incase one of the other 2 had a major failure. That was the Disney difference.

Nine of ten guests more than likely do not even notice that an effect is missing. That or they realize the logistics of theme park and how one works.
Does it matter? That is how a leader becomes complacent and drops to the level of the competition. Or lower in some cases.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just a point on the angler fish. There seems to be a lot of arguing about this, but the reality is we don't know what the issue is. Perhaps it was looked at immediately and they are waiting for a part, or perhaps there is a larger issue than something that can be simply fixed by an overnight crew.

Either way, Epcot are not to close the entire ride due to that effect not operating, like it or not. The VAST majority of guests who are on vacation would much rather be able to ride the attraction than have it closed for that single effect.

devoy1701

Nothing so severe, but things used to be fixed when they broke as soon as possible. There was even PPM where DACS or Central would see a problem arising and notify maintainence before it happened - be it a projector bulb nearing life expiry or a motor running slower than normal.

You know Horizons had 2 Omnimax projectors? Did you know there was also a third on permenant hire, boxed up in the projection room? It was on constant standby incase one of the other 2 had a major failure. That was the Disney difference.

Does it matter? That is how a leader becomes complacent and drops to the level of the competition. Or lower in some cases.

This. Especially the last part. The extra details that Disney and Imagineering puts into the theme parks and attractions are all expected to be noticed by 9 out of 10 guests. But that's another thing that sets Disney apart. They take the extra time/money/effot into delivering a fully immersive environment that most people don't notice. Maintaining that environment is part this immersion, and this is what's been lagging.

Just a point on the angler fish. There seems to be a lot of arguing about this, but the reality is we don't know what the issue is. Perhaps it was looked at immediately and they are waiting for a part, or perhaps there is a larger issue than something that can be simply fixed by an overnight crew.

Either way, Epcot are not to close the entire ride due to that effect not operating, like it or not. The VAST majority of guests who are on vacation would much rather be able to ride the attraction than have it closed for that single effect.

Reports seem to stretch over the past couple months to a year or 2 of this effect working sporadically. I agree we don't know the exact issue, but that is a long time to have an effect on the fritz.

I agree with everything Scout has said in business principle, and a lot of his arguments are exactly how the Execs and Park Mgmt act today. While in most businesses, the logistics of keeping things running and costs involved may play a larger role in budgets and presentation, and these managers would be (and probably are) being praised for their style, operating like this eats into the core of the Disney Difference as Martin put it. Show Quality should come before everything else, and major effects should not be inoperative for extended periods of time. That's what we have been told to expect. And that's all that I have pointed out.

There are plenty of books on the subject if anyone cares for some light reading...

Kamikaze

I'm sorry but maintenance in exchange for accommodations is not an even swap. And while I agree with your reasoning that s*** happens for when it comes to fading paint or rusted rails, that's not an excuse for main effects in attractions to be down for days (or years) without being repaired. Things break and they aren't fixing it until the murmur on the internet turns into a loud uproar, and even then they may or may not fix it. And while we may represent a small amount of visitors now, it doesn't mean that we should just sit back and accept the decisions being made...and i'm saying that as a fan, visitor, paying customer, and shareholder.

If Disney said the following:

All maintenance issues will be handled and fixed, and whenever possible, all failures/repairs will be made the night they are reported. In order to pay for this policy, all ticket prices are immediately raised by 25%.

Would you be ok with that? Just to be clear, that would put a single day ticket at about $105.

Thats what it would take. They charge the same as Universal for a one day ticket, and look at their upkeep, not even close to Disney's. Comparatively, the costs for maintenance between the two should be roughly the same, on a 1 to 1 basis. Looking at it that way, Disney is doing more. Note: Yes, Potterland is in good shape, and it will remain so. Other attractions are in very rough condition, however.

devoy1701

If Disney said the following:

Would you be ok with that? Just to be clear, that would put a single day ticket at about $105.

Thats what it would take. They charge the same as Universal for a one day ticket, and look at their upkeep, not even close to Disney's. Comparatively, the costs for maintenance between the two should be roughly the same, on a 1 to 1 basis. Looking at it that way, Disney is doing more. Note: Yes, Potterland is in good shape, and it will remain so. Other attractions are in very rough condition, however.

Members on here have explained the maintenance budget structures and how refraining from use of those budgets ties directly to manager level bonuses. What I would like is for these people to actually use the budgets that are allocated for maintenance and a system that possibly praises managers for maintaining there respected areas and has a low amount of complaint or reports of issues or successful ridethroughs and checks from the people that they report to.

It doesn't take more money to fix the issues. Well...perhaps the Yeti!

Ignohippo

I was reading through this thread and was thinking the same thing: we simply have no idea what the problem may be or if they're working on it or not. Chances are, they're aware of the problem but whatever is needed to fix it will take some time.

Good lord, the Tiki Room should show that if they just wanted a quick fix, or to just ignore a problem, they could choose the easy way out but they haven't.

If the bashing is in response to Yeti getting fixed, I imagine that problem will cost upwards of a million bucks and will take the ride down for quite some time. any plan to fix it most certainly has to take into account a ton of other variables. It may not happen tomorrow, but I'm sure a plan to fix it is in the works.

Alektronic

Each department has a budget and managers are to keep within that budget...if they want their bonus at the end of the year. So if their money is going fast during the first part of the year they are gonna slow the spending down. Also maintenance isn't going to fix anything without go ahead from management. They have to be given a work order before they do anything. Most won't even change a light bulb without being told first. All this is a sad but true fact. And not just at Disney.

That is correct because that is the way management wants it. Everything has to be recorded and documented. You are not allowed to work on something unless you have a work order. The only time you are allowed to work on something is when a ride goes 101, then you can fix it then immediately fill out your time on a work order afterwards.

Alektronic

Before, they used to have huge warehouses full of spare parts and repair items, but they got rid of them because they to pay taxes on their inventory. So if we get rid of our inventory then we won't have to pay taxes. Now we will just keep some small items on hand and when something breaks we will just order it then. Maybe it takes 8-12 weeks to get the part but nobody will notice and we will save money.

celluloid

Q

I was reading through this thread and was thinking the same thing: we simply have no idea what the problem may be or if they're working on it or not. Chances are, they're aware of the problem but whatever is needed to fix it will take some time.

Good lord, the Tiki Room should show that if they just wanted a quick fix, or to just ignore a problem, they could choose the easy way out but they haven't.

You think that is costing Disney money? They know all the hate that was at the attraction that burned down and they know they are covered to where a fix won't cost them a dime. They just put their money towards a replacement instead of a repair...and then sell loads of nostalgia pins and other merch out of it.

Alektronic

I agree, we really don't know what is wrong with it. It could be a number of things.

The amount of people they have working on other items.

It is broke and waiting on parts.

It is just turned off and waiting further investigation or changes.

Operations is the only dept that can stop the ride because of show quality but they care about their hourly ride counts. So even if it is horrible show quality but the ride still runs, they will still run the ride.

It used to be about show quality, but not anymore.

Pioneer Hall

You think that is costing Disney money? They know all the hate that was at the attraction that burned down and they know they are covered to where a fix won't cost them a dime. They just put their money towards a replacement instead of a repair...and then sell loads of nostalgia pins and other merch out of it.

The project is definitely going to cost them more than a simple repair would have. While there is a possibility of more merchandise sales now (and it won't be that high because only the big fans are going to be going crazy over this), the time to make money back on this project will take longer than if they just repaired the place.

celluloid

The project is definitely going to cost them more than a simple repair would have. While there is a possibility of more merchandise sales now (and it won't be that high because only the big fans are going to be going crazy over this), the time to make money back on this project will take longer than if they just repaired the place.

The attraction was totaled in the cost it would of taken for repair. Not just the fire but the water damage was assessed as well. That destroys and ruins a lot. A refurbish back to the original was an equal option. It was well known that the attraction was not well liked in the form it was before. And trust me, with the merch sales already going over it for nostalgia and fanbase as well as the hype they can make around it..it is costing them very cheap amounts. Pennies to them. They did not have to take any new recordings. It is just getting replacements and programing. In comparison to the hype that they can make a big PR deal out of it, this is a little cost.

Ignohippo

The pessimism on these boards are amazing. They could've repaired what was broken and had the ride back up in a month or two. Disney is self-insured, so it isn't as though there's some evil insurance company forking over dough to have the entire show made over. I'm sure the costs of the refurb are 10x more than they would've been if they would've just repaired the Under New Management version.

Here's a perfect example of Disney doing what the fans wanted and people still not giving them credit for it. Amazing.

dxwwf3

Lest we not forget that the water fountains were not working opening day at Disneyland. So the whole Walt would not have let this happen is somewhat thin.

There is no shame in things breaking down. The problem comes when it continues to stay that way year after year.

And I don't think too many people think the ride should be closed if this one effect isn't working. But there is really no good reason that it shouldn't be regularly working now or be replaced with a more reliable technique.

And maybe the effect does work regularly and some of us are just there on off moments. That is a possibility too.

devoy1701

The pessimism on these boards are amazing. They could've repaired what was broken and had the ride back up in a month or two. Disney is self-insured, so it isn't as though there's some evil insurance company forking over dough to have the entire show made over. I'm sure the costs of the refurb are 10x more than they would've been if they would've just repaired the Under New Management version.

Here's a perfect example of Disney doing what the fans wanted and people still not giving them credit for it. Amazing.

Hyperbole does nothing but spark anger and argument...

I don't hear any of the fans being upset about the reversion back to The Enchanted Tiki Room, other than "what took them so long", "Why did it take a fire to make this change", and "Why has the opening date been pushed back twice so far"

Other than that I hear fans rejoicing over this decision, myself included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom