Scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneydiva72

My Mom had a knee operation right before we went to Disney last year (she fell down the stairs 3 weeks before so it was unexpected)

Make no mistake....we would have rather had her NOT be in a scooter/Wheelchair while being there... it was outright annoying and VERY inconvenient. Annoying going into the stores, annoying getting through crowds, rude people AND rude Cast Members, annoying getting on rides (the few she COULD get on), annoying getting on buses ...on and on and on..

We all were saying how we cant believe people actually WANT to take advantage and get a scooter because it was just soooo inconvenient!!

But with that said....what would you liek them to do? Try to get that person on the bus AFTER it is loaded, how annoying would THAT be? and then what? Let that person go on their way on the bus while the rest of their family waits in line and then meet up with them later?

My sister is having enough problems what with possible impending brain surgery without people being rude

Im sorry that happened to her and you :( I know what you mean, MANY people were very rude to my Mom, and she really did need the wheelchair/scooter.

Originally Posted by shurst View Post
The only issue i do have is when people rent them and use them to get to the front of the line on rides, an example, when i was down there in May 2008 i witnessed this first hand. A lady had a scooter that she had rented and her and her family all went to the front of the line. Maybe a half hour later and ran into this family again and the husband was on the scooter and the lady was walking around.

NOT TRUE! We never not once got to the front of a line! She had to wait by the "wheelchair rope" and the rest of us went on the regular line, once we got to the front she was then loaded onto the line.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
as long as it doesnt impact MY vacation!

Isnt that what some people are commenting on, in that chair use is starting to impact on their vacation.

One night last week in our bus Q there was 14 scooters and several users felt they were entitlled to accesss the bus first and got quite vocal when the driver would only take three. Either a great advert for medicine in that many chairbound can now get access to Disney or that chair use is now almost an accessory for some.

Its no skin off my nose to wait an extra 20 mins at the end of the night after all Im sure mothers with kids have as great a need.

Im sorry but I will laugh if I see an ECV trapped by the bars in a line and its user driving as if in a demolition derby, surely if you are so chairbound you cant move un motorised the three feet from till to counter someone else in the party should be picking up the food?

peemagg

I have only one comment to those of you who have something against those of us who need the wheelchairs or Ecv's.

"WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!!"

The_CEO

I also just got back from a trip from the world and had two people ride their scooters up and hop out of their seat like they were just instantly healed. I understand if someone is paralyzed or can't move from their chair without assistants, but to take advantage of this service because you are overweight, or just lazy sickens me. Each person who has a chair takes up 4 seats and is ridiculous. Why don't they just have a special bus that comes around just for them? People who take advantage of this should be shot.

Phonedave

I am reluctant to respond, but feel compelled so here goes:

Those in wheelchairs / scooters are some times just as inconvenienced as those walking. I somewhat see your point, but you must also consider that only two scooters can board a bus at the same time. This means that there is MUCH MORE space on that bus to accomodate those who walk. Last April, my dad, who looks extremely normal but has multiple dibillitating conditions, waited 75 minutes on a bus from DS to MK. Each time a bus came there were already two scooters on and he could not board. We, his family, had to wait with him. I only told this story to show that sometimes the scooter people are inconvenienced, too.

Wow, I never thought of that. I also never knew about the Federal law that somone else mentioned.

It put's a whole different spin on the "are people renting ECV's just because they are *lazy* " question. In light of this information, now those people are not only "cheating" but they are eesentialy taking services from those that do have a need for them.

-dave

SeaBreeze

Wow, I never thought of that. I also never knew about the Federal law that somone else mentioned.

It put's a whole different spin on the "are people renting ECV's just because they are *lazy* " question. In light of this information, now those people are not only "cheating" but they are eesentialy taking services from those that do have a need for them.

-dave

I normally try to avoid threads like these so I don't accidentally annoy anyone, but when I was at WDW this weekend I came to that exact realization. I heard a woman behind me go "I'm not handicapped but I am pushy!" and I suddenly got bumped by a scooter. Everyone around me sort of stared in amazement and I thought of this thread. People like that make things even harder for those who need wheelchairs/ECVs by being rude, pushy and worse, making waits for buses and rides worse, etc.

I never judge those in a chair because I know all too well that there's more to things than what you see and I am truly sorry for those who are victims of the abuse some folks give the system that was designed to help you.

TinkerbellK

I also just got back from a trip from the world and had two people ride their scooters up and hop out of their seat like they were just instantly healed. I understand if someone is paralyzed or can't move from their chair without assistants, but to take advantage of this service because you are overweight, or just lazy sickens me. Each person who has a chair takes up 4 seats and is ridiculous. Why don't they just have a special bus that comes around just for them? People who take advantage of this should be shot.

Ok, that is a little extreme...

here is something to consider - a person who is paralyzed cannot use a scooter. they must use a powerchair, there is a big difference.

When i use my wheelchair i can stand up out of it and get on a ride like i am "instantly healed." Due to the nature of my disability, i cannot use a scooter, so i have to use my manual chair. However, I have something called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, and we think polymyositis. this means that I cannot walk for more than 5 minutes or do, and no longer than 500 feet (which can take several minutes to walk). I also dislocate my joints randomly, such as my right hip today. likely tomorrow I will be unable to walk. i also took off my shoulder several times and my knee once, but these happen every day

When I am not battling a current injury, I can stand up with ease to get on a ride. however, i cannot stand for more than a few minutes and i can be injured at any time.

my sister who is overweight can stand up with ease and get off a scooter... she also may have a brain tumor causing the weight gain. you can't tell just by looking...

While I agree there are people out there "faking" you cannot tell just by looking at them.

furthermore, those of us who require our wheelchairs for seating needs (i cannot sit on hard seats without my hip sliding off), we LIKE when people in scooters get up! it means they are not taking up the very VERY few wheelchair spots.

Despite what people may think using a wheelchair or scooter IS NOT EASY. and having to fight this battle over and over is hurtful and exhausting.

Let's dispel a few myths:

1. WHEELCHAIRS/SCOOTER DO NOT GO TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE. IF you think you see us skipping a line, rest assured we did not. for example on BTMRR, we wait to the side OUTSIDE in teh SUN sometime up to an hour longer than the standby line. you dont see this, though, you only see us entering.

2. Lots of people need a scooter at disney who do not need it elsewhere.

3. Driving these things is NOT easy, even when you do it all the time.

4. there is no "brotherhood of the wheel" which says that the sins of one rude scooter driver is carried on to all people with wheels. there are rude people wheeling just as there are rude people standing.

5. Yes, we take longer to load. we also have to wait longer to do silly things like go potty and get on rides (there can onyl be a limited number of disabled people on a ride at a time for safety reasons - we generally wait longer)

6. LIFE IS NOT FAIR. If life were fair, I would not be fighting a potentially deadly disease at the age of 24, and go from a distance runner to a wheelchair user in just 3 years. Life isnt fair, but its the happiest freakin place on earth, and i think the entire world would be a lot better if everyone would just mind their own business a little bit more...

cocoa_lovely

ok ok - I just have to chime in to say I too have EDS and for me its the joint hyper-mobility along with 2 other illnesses. I too look like I am just fine rollin along abusing the system. Heck I even do my make up so I look really good.( remember look and feel are 2 different things) lol I would be one of those people gettin up from a scooter or even a wheelchair depending on the place or time. If it wasn't for the scooter I would be looking like Jeff on celebrity rehab all hunched over after waiting/standing in one line.( throwing in a visual) So a scooter or chair really helps me not get exhausted and in a flair so bad I cant enjoy Disney with my family, it helps me walk later and be able to be a healthy parent to my child.

Also something else to think about.. the people you may see "jumping" off of scooters. They may have disease in early stages or an invisible illnesses. You could be seeing someone in early diagnosis stages of MS. This may be a person who has mobility issues that are not seen to YOU. But if the overexert themselves may end up in a flare and unable to walk or bed ridden for the rest of their trip.
All i am trying to say is don't be so quick to judge. I would love to walk through the parks but I know if I do the consequences that i will have while I am there and after. I would love to have another adult go with me so I could get off the scooter and walk a bit and they could drive. Its not getting me anywhere faster or any perks. Actually we have to spend more money to rent the darn things and figure out how to get around the parks with out feeling embarrassed and causing others any inconvenience. So I hope I gave you a window into my world.

TinkerbellK

ok ok - I just have to chime in to say I too have EDS and for me its the joint hyper-mobility along with 2 other illnesses. I too look like I am just fine rollin along abusing the system. Heck I even do my make up so I look really good.( remember look and feel are 2 different things) lol I would be one of those people gettin up from a scooter or even a wheelchair depending on the place or time. If it wasn't for the scooter I would be looking like Jeff on celebrity rehab all hunched over after waiting/standing in one line.( throwing in a visual) So a scooter or chair really helps me not get exhausted and in a flair so bad I cant enjoy Disney with my family, it helps me walk later and be able to be a healthy parent to my child.

Also something else to think about.. the people you may see "jumping" off of scooters. They may have disease in early stages or an invisible illnesses. You could be seeing someone in early diagnosis stages of MS. This may be a person who has mobility issues that are not seen to YOU. But if the overexert themselves may end up in a flare and unable to walk or bed ridden for the rest of their trip.
All i am trying to say is don't be so quick to judge. I would love to walk through the parks but I know if I do the consequences that i will have while I am there and after. I would love to have another adult go with me so I could get off the scooter and walk a bit and they could drive. Its not getting me anywhere faster or any perks. Actually we have to spend more money to rent the darn things and figure out how to get around the parks with out feeling embarrassed and causing others any inconvenience. So I hope I gave you a window into my world.

hi from another EDSer!

gwhb75

Original Poster
hi from another EDSer!

But I'm guessing that the two of you aren't the type to drive around the park honking at people who are in your way and bragging about how you get on the bus first. When I started this thread it wasn't really about people who need scooters/wheelchairs. The big issue I had was with the attutued of some people in scooters. On more than one occasion in the week we (my wife and two kids and myself) were honked at to get out of the way. I have no problem being asked to move, but use your voice not a horn. And bragging about getting on the bus first tends to rub people the wrong way regardless of the situation.

cocoa_lovely

btw- my comment is just a general comment to the masses....Rude behavior is different. I am just saying don't be quick to judge. Maybe you saw someone newly diagnosed who may be embarrassed about having to use a scooter so they simply turned to their family and said SEE we get to board 1st. or something of the like. Just another perspective...

To be my age and use a scooter doesn't always feel so good especially at 30 when you relate better to the 80 y/o vs your own peers. Especially, when you look like the average 30y/o.~ just sayin!

TinkerbellK

btw- my comment is just a general comment to the masses....Rude behavior is different. I am just saying don't be quick to judge. Maybe you saw someone newly diagnosed who may be embarrassed about having to use a scooter so they simply turned to their family and said SEE we get to board 1st. or something of the like. Just another perspective...

To be my age and use a scooter doesn't always feel so good especially at 30 when you relate better to the 80 y/o vs your own peers. Especially, when you look like the average 30y/o.~ just sayin!

there ARE rude people on scooters, but there are rude people walking too... rude people come in all shapes and sizes. People just note the rude people on scooters more for two reasons - they're "different" and there is this idea that the disabled, especially the young and disabled, are supposed to always be sweet and kind, quietly brave as they overcome their disability...

well i am not "brave" or "courageous" or "inspirational" - if you want those, watch Lifetime or buy a hallmark card. there are just as many of us wheelers who are rude as there are walkers who are rude.

i notice far fewer threads about "i saw this rude person yell at me, and they WALKED!" just food for thought.

yes, some of us are not entirely comfortable with our disability, and we may say some things which sound ill-considered. or it may be only part of a conversation - for instance, i may say "we get to skip a lot of the like at Ride X" but you may miss me following that statement with "and i had to wait an hour longer at Ride Y!!" Its very difficult to judge what someone is saying based on a chance comment, so please *people in general* try not to judge!

Timekeeper

I like the queues that are able to accommodate the various devices that some individuals require the use of for assistance. This is "fair," and also allows those individuals to enjoy some of the more heavily themed queues. We have to keep in mind, though, that most of the WDW attractions are very old, pre-ADA, etc.

I have seen some individuals (in wheelchairs, for example) act surprised when they are told (by the attraction greeter) that the queue is accessible and they can use it just like everyone else. For some, it has become a "skip the line" expectation, but as was discussed earlier, WDW is improving the ways in which they handle this. By making the policy more "equal," WDW is indirectly discouraging counterfeit use. If someone without a disability discovers that using a wheelchair will not shorten their queue wait times, then they will forgo the wheelchair. Props to WDW. :sohappy:

We should also keep in mind that many of the individuals that require assistance are with groups like the Make-A-Wish and Give Kids the World foundation, who *do* receive FastPass-like treatment, which is the policy of every theme park I've been to. :)

BrennaRN

Okay here's how I feel about scooters. In May when I went to WDW I was advised by my surgeon to use a wheelchair/scooter due to avoiding any more injury to my hip dysplasia. DIDN'T USE ONE! Walked and sat when I was sore. Went last week, 5 months post op of pelvis reconstruction on my right side. DIDN'T USE A SCOOTER!!!!! However, I watched and waited for 30 min while two women loaded our bus and then one got out and ran down the ramp of the bus and man - handled a stroller and picked it up and carried onto the bus. I was FURIOUS. I have little to no respect for most on scooters. I still say they need a doctor's note to use one in the parks.

WDW1974

I truly wish I had realized what a cottage industry renting ECVs and wheelchairs to those too fat and lazy (and the 10% of people who actually need them for medical reasons) was going to be in the mid-90s.

I would have moved to Orlando, started a business and would be very rich today.

I have never seen such a disgusting phenomenon, except perhaps all the triple wide parents pushing double wide strollers that do nothing but clog walkways and run over your feet.

It was so pleasant to visit HKDL this summer and encounter maybe a dozen strollers total in an entire summer day ... and perhaps 4-5 wheelchairs/ECVs where it was plainly obvious the person needed it.

But none of the magical 400-pounders chomping down on a turkey leg as they run over everything and everyone in their path.

yeah, pure magic!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Maybe you saw someone newly diagnosed who may be embarrassed about having to use a scooter so they simply turned to their family and said SEE we get to board 1st. or something of the like.

No, the actual comment was made as the rolled up to the front of the line and said "I'm glad we get to go on first cause I'm spent". This was at the end of MNSSHP so it was around 11:30pm and we had been in the park all day, so I'm guessing the whole line was feeling pretty spent as well. Again, it wasn't that they got on first, it was the comment that wasn't really endearing them to anyone.

tumelo

We just went to Disney in December and I have never seen so many scooters. I am not talking about the people who "really" need them, but I don't know how many time the buses come to the stop and all of a sudden here comes a scooter racing to get to the front. Now, there were many people waiting in line, and the scooters just come up at the last minute and then we all have to wait. I think they should wait in line just like everyone else. One time, after waiting in line for almost 25 minutes, we all started boarding. Then, here comes a scooter racing to get in. Instead of making them wait until the next bus, since there were so many people in line before they even arrived, we had to wait for the scooter to get on. Then the women just gets up out of the scooter with no problem. Again, I understand there are people who really need it, but there are obviously people who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom