Scattered ashes in POTC ride

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I would like my ashes dumped into Seven Seas Lagoon whenever the day comes. It's my way of "residing" at WDW forever. ;) But on a ride? No way.... I wish people would think before they do these things.... :(

Tiggerdude

I posted this in another thread, but it seems pretty appropriate here. If Disney wouls allow ash spreading, this could be the reading from the book of Walt...

The Walt is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in a themed Value Resort:
He leadeth me beside the Imagineered waters.
He refurbisheth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of the ride entries for His name' sake.

Yea, though I float through the waters of the Pirates of the Caribbean,
I will fear no evil: For Walt art with me;
Thy Meal plan and thy Fast Pass, they comfort me.
Thou preparest me a table at the Crystal Palace through Advance Reservations;
Thou annointest me with merchandise; My baggage runneth overweight.

Surely trinkets and memories shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Mouse forever.

Ashes to animatronics... Dust to flume...

Amen.

duck_daddy

I am sorry lildivaaa, but I have to disagree strongly with your opinion on this.

Walt Disney World is private property. Regardless of any pyscological terrors or shortcommings folk may have, it is inappropriate to spread the ashes of someone or something in the parks with out the company's permission. This would be the equivalent of dumping ashes in the garden of someone's house without their permission. Just because you can do and not get caught doesn't mean it's right.

Also not trying to troll or be deliberately gross, but the arguement that the ashes are sterile holds no water. Urine is sterile also. Should we also guest to use the bathroom as long as they do it out of the way and a little bit at the time? I mean no disrepect to the dead but ashes and urine are kind of on the same level for me.
Urine+sterile=myth!
Body+1800 degrees=sterility

duck_daddy

I would not go as far to say it is the same deal. Ashes can leave a mess, sanitary or not. And as in the case at Disney, they can cause damage and cause a disruption. Seeing someone topless in public would either just shock someone, or thrill them.....just depends on the person.;)
Topless beaches can be messy too......:lookaroun

duck_daddy

I'm so suprised by some of the people approving of this.

These are people's remains we're talking about. I certainly don't want to be walking through the park and stepping in or riding past that.

And the poor Disney cast members have to clean it up everytime this happens. It ruins the ride experience and the person's ashes won't be there for very long anyway.

It is private property, and if Disney doesn't want this going on, then it shouldn't.
Why?

lcwpooh

I have all intentions on having my ashes "hidden" at WDW-MK. I already told my kids if I get sucked up in a vacum...I'm gonna haunt them for sure!!!!

PKD

well im just voicing my opinion, maybe some of us are different... i for one want to be at the HM

We have our opinions, you are right, and that is what makes a forum work so well. However, I have the opinion that it is wrong to vandalize someone else's property. You are adding something that is not intended by the owner.

You can honestly say your ok with destroying what Disney has intended for it's guest? Regardless of the "clean" or not argument, you don't go around spilling your body on someone's front porch or at a Disney attraction.

daklimation

I'm pretty sure there are only one or two states where scattering ashes on private property is illegal, California being one of them.

Ashes are completely safe and clean, the end result isn't much different than what you get from burning any other carbon-based object, and the mercury, like someone mentioned a few pages back evaporates during the heating process and would never end up a part of the ashes.

MasterShake

IMO, if this practice makes some people uncomfortable, then people shouldn't do it. Everyone pays good money to enjoy these parks and they shouldn't have to worry about cremated bodies.

I personally don't get creeped out about ashes in general, but the thought of getting a mouth full of water that has cremated bodies in it kind of grosses me out. Also, ashes have a way of getting carried through the air. I personally wouldn’t want my child getting a face full of ash while trying to enjoy POC.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'll be using my fireplace tonight, but first I have to clean it out. I guess my neighbor shouldn't mind if I dump the ashes in his yard. :lookaroun

Having dealt with two sets of human ashes within the past 5 years, and multiple sets of pet ashes, that is what they are closest to in texture, etc.

Not a health hazard, but "dirty", in the sense that you wouldn't want them LOOSE anywhere indoors, and only outdoors if they can return to the soil/sink to the mud on the bottom.

I have no fear of dead bodies, as long as they are not rotting or have a way of transmitting communicable disease.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Note to self: Have wife change my funeral plans.

:lookaroun
you beat me to the punchline.... well, to all, just be on the lookout for my obit in the paper and dont schedule a WDW trip anytime soon. :D

it is all about location, you dont want to get sucked up by the nearest Dyson :lol:

hcswingfield

New tombstone for outside the Haunted Mansion

First a drawing of a vaccuum cleaner

Then the epitath:

Here for a brief time
Lies our friend Chuck
Even in death
His life did suck!

Doombuggy13

Hello everyone,
I figured I better throw my hat in the ring too and maybe clear some things up. I am a Licensed Funeral Director in New York State. I cannot speak for the laws in Florida or California only here. Many families are opting to scatter their loved ones remains as opposed to intering them in a cemetery or putting them on the mantle. Think about it, at least here in my area the cemetery will charge you $700 to purchase the grave then another $300-$400 to dig the hole to bury a plastic urn. Scattering makes this cost non-existent and makes for a much more personal means of dispostion. However, here in New York it is illegal to scatter in a cemetery, because you are taking money out of their pockets. It is illegal to scatter in a body of water unless it is 3 nautical miles off shore (EPA & DEC Regulation) and as far as scattering on private property, YOU MUST HAVE THE OWNERS CONSENT.

Cremated remains are not considered hazardous material nor are they dangerous in any way. If they were families would need special permits to transport them. I handle cremated remains all the time and have seen no ill effects whatsoever. I have colleauges who work at the local crematory. When they process the cremains they wear only a dust mask and safety gloves.

Cremated remains do not contain heavy metals. Heavy metals and arsenic have not been used in the embaming process since the 1930's and the chemical we use today burn off in the cremation process. I cannot verify that cremains are sterile but can verify that they ares safe and harmless.

Hopefully that clears some of this up for everyone. My take on the whole situation is that I think it's great that someone wants their remains to be at a Disney Park for eternity, but you need to obey the laws of the state of California and or Florida. Disney has repeatedly turned down requests to scatter cremains in the parks so it is apparent what their position is. If someone is caught scattering in the park they should be charged with criminal mischief of something along that line. Maybe Disney should start producing their own line of Cremation urns. Urn personalization is now at a level that you can have any image laser etched onto an urn.
So if grandpa wants to be scattered in The Haunted Mansion bring the funeral director a photo and ask him to have it laser etched onto the urn.

I'm sure that there have been hundreds if not thousands of scatterings that have occured on Disney properties, and I'm sure there will be many more. This is all unregulated. There are no fedeal agencies to stop this or to oversee where people scatter their loved one's remains. Once a family signs the release picking up the urn, what they do with them is up to them.

sknydave

Thank you for posting factual information, doombuggy.

On a side-note, does anyone know what type of water filtration a ride such as POTC utilizes? I don't think I can ride it again until I find out lol

Kacki

I have all intentions on having my ashes "hidden" at WDW-MK. I already told my kids if I get sucked up in a vacum...I'm gonna haunt them for sure!!!!
Maybe your kids could arrange them in little piles that resemble hidden Mickeys.

"Hey dad, look! I've found another hidden Mickey!"
"Really honey? Let's see... oh. Let's go get some fastpasses for Soarin'...."

brkgnews

New tombstone for outside the Haunted Mansion

First a drawing of a vaccuum cleaner

Then the epitath:

Here for a brief time
Lies our friend Chuck
Even in death
His life did suck!
Classic.

Or...

Harold was a
shaker and mover
but his butt
landed in a hoover.

Here lies
Mrs. Tyson.
Her scattered remains
are in a Dyson.

"To the Magic Kingdom,"
said the will of dear Brent,
"even though I'll wind up
in a musty old vent."

Here rests our long-
lost Horatio Pratt
His heart's in the Mansion,
the rest is under the mat.

:lol:

There are no hazards from spreading ashes. the heat needed for burning a body to ashes would kill any and all germs virus and diseases. I always thought that Disney should have a program in place for people to place ashes of loved ones in attractions, like the mansion. If they can do something as tacky as LaL then why not this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom