Scattered ashes in POTC ride

Buried20KLeague

This is true. There are some really crazy laws out there! But MOST laws do have valid reasons behind them....espeically when the laws are so wide spread. The absured and funny laws you read about are usually limited to a particular place and have an interesting origin from a long time ago, and really are not enforced anymore. The laws regarding human remains really do not fit into the absurd laws category.

That's true... But that doesn't mean they're laws based on scientific fact for the greater good of the public, either. A lot of laws (like these) are based on our current society's views of acceptability. It's not about protecting us from harm... But from doing something out of the norm that could offend.

Perfect example... Topless beaches. Overseas, it's quite acceptable, and commonplace, and we're looked at as being weird because we don't do it. But here, there's laws against it (almost everywhere). Same deal.

happymom52003

That's true... But that doesn't mean they're laws based on scientific fact for the greater good of the public, either. A lot of laws (like these) are based on our current society's views of acceptability. It's not about protecting us from harm... But from doing something out of the norm that could offend.

Perfect example... Topless beaches. Overseas, it's quite acceptable, and commonplace, and we're looked at as being weird because we don't do it. But here, there's laws against it (almost everywhere). Same deal.

I would not go as far to say it is the same deal. Ashes can leave a mess, sanitary or not. And as in the case at Disney, they can cause damage and cause a disruption. Seeing someone topless in public would either just shock someone, or thrill them.....just depends on the person.;)

JimboJones123

What about being turned to Chum for TSWNAF? Yah know, the whole "Circle of Life" thing? If not, I'm sure Shamu wouldn't mind a mild change in his diet.

celticdog

Now, let's be real for a moment. Taking out the "death" part of the equation, what are we really talking about?? Ash, just ash....basically power, dust, etc. To which is entirely sterile, no disease, no nothing. It is material that would be compared to not dusting your end-tables for 8 months to a year.

Akidat50 said:
I agree that scattering cremated remains in a Disney attraction is not exactly proper, but should create no health problems whatsoever. Cremated remains are sterile, having been subjected to 1600-1800 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours or more. To each his own, I suppose... but I don't want someone's Aunt Sarah floating through POTC. Come to think of it, how often is the water in Disney attractions changed? Sarah wouldn't be there for 'eternity' I am sure.

Cremated remains aren't as "clean" as you think. They are considered a hazardous waste due to the high concentrations of heavy metals and volitile chemicals. That's why many localities no longer allow the spreading of ashes.

lildivaaa

I am sorry lildivaaa, but I have to disagree strongly with your opinion on this.

Walt Disney World is private property. Regardless of any pyscological terrors or shortcommings folk may have, it is inappropriate to spread the ashes of someone or something in the parks with out the company's permission. This would be the equivalent of dumping ashes in the garden of someone's house without their permission. Just because you can do and not get caught doesn't mean it's right.

Also not trying to troll or be deliberately gross, but the arguement that the ashes are sterile holds no water. Urine is sterile also. Should we also guest to use the bathroom as long as they do it out of the way and a little bit at the time? I mean no disrepect to the dead but ashes and urine are kind of on the same level for me.

jakeman, I do appreciate your opinions and views on this matter. And I am not endorsing my particular view about this as the right ones. I don't think there is a right or wrong "answer" about this. This is just my personal feelings and how I feel, and I thank you for yours.

What I do believe is that with a loved one's final wishes...if their wishes are for something like scattering their ashes in and around a certain area, be it DisneyWorld or otherwise....and if it is at all possible to do so, then by all means do it.

But above all, celebrate and honor the life of your loved one who's passed on, in the way they requested.

'nuff said. :)

lildivaaa

Your logic is absolutely flawed.

If you heated the urine up to 1600-1800 degrees, THEN you're talking apples to apples. Ultra high heat for a long period of time kills any and all bacteria in the heated item, and breaks it down into its basic components. Urine is full of waste material that quickly grows bacteria. The two aren't even close to the same.

The problem is perception, and nothing more. And you've just shown support for that idea.

Now... If you want to restrict your argument to the idea that WDW is private property, and scattering ashes should be considered either illegal dumping, or littering... Well THEN you've got a good argument. And one that I would find hard to argue against. A lot harder than ashes and urine being the same, at least. :lol:

Buried20KLeague, I just wanted to say that I appreciated your reply to this healthy discussion!

Thank you very much! :)

jakeman

Cremated remains aren't as "clean" as you think. They are considered a hazardous waste due to the high concentrations of heavy metals and volitile chemicals. That's why many localities no longer allow the spreading of ashes.
I do believe that if this statement is true, then it does validate my comparison. Additionally, just because something is heated to 1600 degrees does not mean it will remain sterile after it is cooled off, regardless of how far the material has broken down. Regardless, I accept your point Buried20KLeague and withdraw the comparison since the analogy is flawed. I'll need to take the rest of the day off to think up a better one. :lol:

lildivaaa said:
But above all, celebrate and honor the life of your loved one who's passed on, in the way they requested.
Not if it is illegal or on private property you shouldn't. I'm sorry I cannot get behind this statement.

JustPlainBill

Just because it feels good and right to the individual, It doesn't justify the act. No one has the right to go on someone else's property and dump, without permission to do so, that goes for public lands as well. I don't think the issue here is whether or not people do it now or not, it is that it is wrong to do. If we're questioning why it is wrong to do, than you go back to my first point, its private property and the owner doesn't want it, setting the law aside for the moment. If just a few people do it once in awhile in small quantities, I agree it can and does go unnoticed, still doesn't make it right to do. What if everyone wanted to do it all the time?
My Grandfather died when I was just a baby some 42 years ago, he was cremated and his wishes were to have his ashes scattered over his mother's grave. He died in one state and his mother was buried in a cemetary in the next bordering state. To do this legally, there were all kinds of fees to pay and paperwork to fill out. Either because my family at the time was cheap, lazy or couldn't afford the cost they decided to bypass the legal way and surreptitiously took his remains across state lines and dug a small hole over my great-grandmothers grave and dumped his ashes in and buried them while no one was looking. Did my family break the law? Most certainly. Was it the right thing to do? I'm saying no. Did they hurt anyone? Probably not, because it was a cemetary afterall and they buried the ashes. If my Grandfather wanted to have his ashes scattered over the produce section at the local supermarket because that is where he worked for 40 years and he loved his job then it changes the scope just a bit. To scatter ashes outside is different from scattering them indoors.
If I decide that I wish to be cremated when I die, I won't harness my family with a specific request of what to do with my ashes, it won't be me in that heap of dust. I think my wishes will be to please, not do anything with them that will get you into trouble.

dsnyfreak

you could always rent one of those little fast boats from gf or the like and spread somones ashes there and disney would probably never be the wiser!:lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

I do believe that if this statement is true, then it does validate my comparison. Additionally, just because something is heated to 1600 degrees does not mean it will remain sterile after it is cooled off, regardless of how far the material has broken down. Regardless, I accept your point Buried20KLeague and withdraw the comparison since the analogy is flawed. I'll need to take the rest of the day off to think up a better one. :lol:

Not if it is illegal or on private property you shouldn't. I'm sorry I cannot get behind this statement.

Don't do that. Then I won't get anything productive done this afternoon. :lol:

jiminy.cricket

It might be fitting to have an urn or 2 IN the haunted mansion.
On a bookshelf or fireplace mantle or something. Or...better yet.....have a real urn behind every gravestone in the graveyard scene? Though...if Disney actually got into that (for each park), I'm betting it would cost quite a bit, considering very limited space.

Now at haunted Mansion.....999 ghosts? Plus 999 urns ;)
They could move the Leave a Legacy tombstones to the HM and bury the urns beneath them.

Eyorefan

They could move the Leave a Legacy tombstones to the HM and bury the urns beneath them.

Why don't they just rework the LL tombstones and make them into columbarium's? I bet people would pay to leave their loved ones there, and it already looks like a graveyard anyway so why not? :shrug:

darthjohnny

I'm so suprised by some of the people approving of this.

These are people's remains we're talking about. I certainly don't want to be walking through the park and stepping in or riding past that.

And the poor Disney cast members have to clean it up everytime this happens. It ruins the ride experience and the person's ashes won't be there for very long anyway.

It is private property, and if Disney doesn't want this going on, then it shouldn't.

Marley's Ghost

Also, in every instance that I’ve of hearing about someone scattering ashes at any Disney park…that’s just it, they are “scattering”…a little here, a little there, a little on a tombstone at The Haunted Mansion, a little at the wishing well in front of Cinderella Castle, a little on MainStreet USA, etc. Mostly being very unobtrusive about it, not drawing any attention to what is going on. It’s a very private thing for a loved one, especially in such a crowded environment as a Disney park.

So……what are we REALLY talking about here?? I believe it’s an engrained human fear of death. Plain and simple….and no one wants to be around, be near, be reminded or think about death…AT ALL. Because it reminds us all of our own mortality and that someday…we will all die. That’s just the fact.

I think that if someone’s last wish was to have their ashes scattered amongst various areas around a Disney Park…then GO FOR IT! Have fun with it; make it something special, something memorable. Celebrate you dearly departed’s life. Be respectful of others in the general public as you do it, but I see nothing wrong with it.

One of the most concise and true words that had been locked to this mortal coil of a fourm. Thank You. (looks downstage for will)

iheartdisney91

Really? I'm sorry, but dumping ashes at Disney isn't like doing it at the top of a mtn that meant something to you. This is their private property, and you don't know the full effect it could have on the attraction or a guest. Say someone inhaled the ashes, or a kid put his hand in the water/ashes and then his mouth.

Spreading someone's dead body on someone else's property isn't right regardless if you get caught or not. Your statement about being caught makes it sound as if you don't respect others boundaries/property.

well im just voicing my opinion, maybe some of us are different... i for one want to be at the HM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom