Rumor: COP replacement

dave

Not my memory, I remember all the attractions new and old that have used video screens and projectors. But you are defanitely right about the opinions towards video screens being a backlash to several current attractions.

As for people telling us that video screens have always been a part of Disney attractions, I think most of us are aware of that. But they used to be used to enhance an attraction, not BE the attraction. Tower of Terror is a great example of well used video screens and projectors to enhance an attraction. Of course there have always been pure video attractions that are advertised as a film, such as Philharmagic, Captain EO, O' Canada...etc. For these we know what to expect because they are advertised as films. But when Disney advertises something as an attraction or ride and it ends up being a simulator or show with a majority of content/effects being video screens, it is a let down.

Of course, as with all posts, this is only my opinion. I love Disney but sometimes it's tough love because I hold them to such high standards.

Very interesting and although i agree with most, simulators are a let down, is this your opinion of star tours and mission space, i think both attractions are excellent and always ride them,ok star tours is a little dated but still a very good ride, other examples, back to the future and soarin are excellent too.

I do fully understand what you mean and agree when video screening is done poorly but the idea is sold to make you ride.

I hope i did not misunderstand your simulator comment,please advise if i did.

Tim G

Well I heard that Disney is going to spend millions refurbishing CoP, adding incredible AA's to all the show scenes and some amazing new crystal-clear audio, but the final future scene will have a black curtain put in front of it and everyone will take a survey on what kind of the sponsor's products they use the most!

Also, Rex Allen will be replaced with Judi Drench and "It's a great big Beautiful Tomorrow" will be replaced with "You've got a Friend in Me!" (they claim change is good, even if what was there worked, and they don't want WDW to become a museum)

From what I hear, the Imagineers are extremely excited about this idea (what they claim to be their finest and most innovative one since Imagination 3.0 and MILF) and think it will help bring teenagers into the park and bring excitement to the finale with this BRAND NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE THING CALLED touch screen interactivity.

They see this new tech as the future of all their attractions and it will help bring the TOMORROW back into Tomorrowland (the future that new was)!

Wow, sounds even better than SSE :rolleyes:

Skippy
You heard, Disney will spend millions refurbishing CoP???
Adding incredible AA's to all the show scenes???
And some amazing new crystal-clear audio???

I hate to disappoint you Sir...

You've been had... :lookaroun

C.o.P. has been given "End Of Life" more than a year ago...

It will be Closed, Terminated, etc. etc...

No future plans for the old building............... Yet...

echoscot

No future plans for the old building............... Yet...

I do believe Skippy was using sarcasm...

However what is your authority for COP being given an end of life?

Tim G

I do believe Skippy was using sarcasm...

However what is your authority for COP being given an end of life?

No can tell...

Just ask around, visit these boards more often.

I've got a friend who's the neighbor's of a gardener who's aunt is a friend of a brother of a teacher of his son's neice who works at a pawnshop who knows a bus driver who is very good friends with an hotel manager who's daughter is a friend of a pool guy who also cleans the pool of an Imagineer... :lookaroun

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
No can tell...

I've got a friend who's the neighbor's of a gardener who's aunt is a friend of a brother of a teacher of his son's neice who works at a pawnshop who knows a bus driver who is very good friends with an hotel manager who's daughter is a friend of a pool guy who also cleans the pool of an Imagineer... :lookaroun

I thought if you threw water on an Imagineer they'd melt... maybe the pool is just for entertaining?

MiklCraw4d

I enjoy when people are too busy being snarky to notice that the OP was being sarcastic in the first place.

Unless I'm being oblivious to this too, in which case.... oh well. It wouldn't be the first time I've been bamboozled by the affective opacity of teh intarwebs.

Anyway, regarding the COP... It's obvious that neglect has worn it down to a nub and it's in desperate need of an update. It's also obvious that it no longer fits in with whatever theme Tomorrowland is going for (TOONZ!!!1!). I'm also just as convinced as ever that the attraction still has a necessary place in Disney parks - just maybe not the MK. They need to move it to EPCOT, although I'm sure they won't. But they should.

So tell the pool guy to get on that...

Skippy_

To clear things up, I WAS JOKING!

Disney, your covering up leaks so well that people are desperate for information, and are now buying into sarcasm for some hope...

...although I wouldn't put it beneath the Imagineers to do what I said above :p

Skippy

CBOMB

Doesn't this seem like...I don't know....one of those, watchamacallits.....ah, stupid rumors?
When Spirit of 74 makes a statement it is not based on rumors. Believe me he would never say CoP was going bye-bye if he thought it was just a rumor. Corrus said sometime back that it was just a matter of time. Cop lovers should have prepared themselves back then. I only hope the replacement is better than the original. It seems like that is the only thing to worry about now.
No can tell...

An even more reliable source than Spirit of 74. I've never known the pool guy to be wrong on anything dealing with DL or WDW.

EpcotServo

When Spirit of 74 makes a statement it is not based on rumors. Believe me he would never say CoP was going bye-bye if he thought it was just a rumor. Corrus said sometime back that it was just a matter of time. Cop lovers should have prepared themselves back then. I only hope the replacement is better than the original. It seems like that is the only thing to worry about now.

I'm sorry, but it's just that if I had a dime for everytime I heard something about COP closing, I'd be very rich.

It should never close.
:cry:

bigtotoro

I rode CoP this past week with 5 other people in the theater. It's time to put her down. It does not draw traffic. It is a waste of space. They would be better served putting a bathroom there...or a restaurant...or a new ride. You know, something people can actually use. Alot of folks around here blather on about what "Walt wanted...this was his baby...his dream..." From my experience, Walt was nothing if not a hard nosed businessman. He would not hesitate to make a tough decision regarding an underperforming attraction. This is not a tough decision.

echoscot

...From my experience, Walt was nothing if not a hard nosed businessman....

I would have to respectfully disagree with you here.

I don't know what experiences you have had with Walt, but I worked for the company for about 25 years, before during and after the reign of "he who must not be named" (just a little joke don't flame me). There was an atmosphere in the company before ME came on board, that was very creative and family centered and was so strongly felt that it could not have existed so long after Walt's death had it not been prevalent while he was alive.

In addition I have read many good and not so good books and articles about Walt Disney.

Everything I have read, of any credibility, indicates that he was not a very good businessman. Roy usually wound up forced into that role and sometimes resented it. Walt loved dreaming and creating, and coaxing others into doing so. Of course he wanted their creations to be following whatever line of thinking he had at the time which could be difficult for them.

Of course that has nothing to do with COP staying of leaving and your other points I kind of agree with you on(sentence ending with preposition -10 points:(). Many people say "Walt would've wanted this or that" as you indicated, yet he changed his mind about Disneyland mutliple times within the first 10 years the park was open. There were to be no roller coasters, but the Matterhorn opened in 1959, and he loved it.

There comes a time, that even though we love something, it is time to move on. I don't whether it will happen or not with COP the rumors are certainly abundant. If it does go, I will count myself fortunate to have experienced it both as "Now is the Time" and a "Big Bright Beautiful Tomorrow".

I hope that if they do keep it they give it a good upgrade overhaul and marketing strategy.

dxwwf3

Why does Disney always make me not want to support their feature films in fear of how it will change the theme parks? I get so nervous every time I see great box office returns. With Cars and Ratatouille (and previous Pixar films for that matter) it doesn't bother me much because I love the films and the characters. But the reason I regretted seeing Meet The Robinsons in the theater once I saw it was semi-successful. I don't think that film is worth replacing a classic attraction for.

If this is true, it will just be a continuation of the Magic Kingdom's evolution. Some may like it and that's fine. When I'm at WDW, I find myself spending less and less time there each year. I wish others would follow and maybe we would see some changes in park philosophy, but unfortunatley the turnstiles keep spinning. It's a shame.

As far as DL goes, any replacement for Innoventions would be welcome. I like the building themeing, the preshow, and the opening AA, but everything else is kind of "meh". I don't many people will miss it.

Imagineer Mitch

OMG if CoP goes than they might as well throw the whole park away, i am a strong fan of this attraction and i woud very much hate to see it go! I visit that attraction 6 times everytime im in the magic kingdom bc it gives a great life time lesson, it's basicly saying if your having a bad day or things aren't going right then dont give up bc tomorrow will be better and technology will advance and everything, personally i hate every pixar thing at WDW the stitch ride is lame, i wish they would of made it better, i hate buzz lightyear, and monsters inc. is ok but we dont need anymore plush in tomorrowland, so if this does happen disney can expect to lose a lot of people, and if it does get replaced they will have to put in some new technology,one of a kind roller coaster in its place!

echoscot

OMG if CoP goes than they might as well throw the whole park away, i am a strong fan of this attraction and i woud very much hate to see it go! I visit that attraction 6 times everytime im in the magic kingdom bc it gives a great life time lesson, it's basicly saying if your having a bad day or things aren't going right then dont give up bc tomorrow will be better and technology will advance and everything, personally i hate every pixar thing at WDW the stitch ride is lame, i wish they would of made it better, i hate buzz lightyear, and monsters inc. is ok but we dont need anymore plush in tomorrowland, so if this does happen disney can expect to lose a lot of people, and if it does get replaced they will have to put in some new technology,one of a kind roller coaster in its place!

I love the ride too, but who are the "a lot of people" that Disney can expect to lose? The 5 that rode it with bigtotoro?

That's part of the problem, everyone says it's such a great attraction, but on a regular basis very few visit it anymore...

SirGoofy

A WALL-E ride would be cool, and at least WALL-E is a futuristic movie, and could fit thematically with Tomorrowland. But I don't want a screen show. I want a RIDE.

Imagineer Mitch

I love the ride too, but who are the "a lot of people" that Disney can expect to lose? The 5 that rode it with bigtotoro?

That's part of the problem, everyone says it's such a great attraction, but on a regular basis very few visit it anymore...
well usually when i go it is pretty packed but this is a clasic ride and it seems like on here everyone likes it, my opinion is if they replace it they better spend the $$ for a attraction that needs new stat-of-the-art technology and prefferably ( or how ever u spell that ) let it be a roller coaster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom