Rumor: COP replacement

hauntdmansion79

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED
Carousel of Progress closing...:cry:
and so we can have another video screen live character Pixar attraction...:hurl:

it makes me nervous when news like this comes from Merf....
It makes me nervous when Merf hears his news from Spirit of 74.

Better get that letter writing campaign going before WDI makes another big mistake with another video screen cartoon based attraction.
So, if this is true, who is willing to come with me to Burbank and protest?
Heck yes! I LOVE Disney World with all my heart but I'm tired of feeling like the last truly great classic Disney ride we got was 10 years ago. I'm not saying there haven't been good rides, but they are from a different breed of Imagineers. Let's count the video screen-based attractions in the last few years. Mission Space, Turtle Talk, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, The Seas with Nemo, Toy Story Mania, Philharmagic, Gran Fiesta Tour, Soarin'...it's making me crazy! Disney used to take me places, not fool me into thinking I'm going somewhere.

echoscot

I don't know that screens are necessarily a bad thing...

If You Had Wings was an all screen attraction, dated before it even opened and yet was incredibly popular and I still know all the words to the freaking song.

However I agree that there is something unique (and Expensive) about AA attractions.

One of the stated goals of the theme parks was to take people out of the movie theatre and immerse them in the adventure.

And I do agree that COP is a Disney classic, it left DLR because GE was the original sponsor and wouldn't cover it in a park who's primary attendance at the time came from locals. When the Florida project opened they realized it had more commuter and international attendance and GE felt they could get more "bang for their buck" by having their advertising there.

Of course since GE now owns Universal they would never dream of sponsoring a WDW attraction anymore...LOL

Disney_Freak429

A. I am major sick. The only reason this starts to worry me is because its coming from Merf & where he got it from.

B. I am with everyone on updating it but keeping the theme.

C. Screen rides eeeewww (note I do like Turtle Talk) but I can just watch screen rides from home

D. I have my handcuffs, rope, chains all ready who wants to tie me to COP if it comes to it. May I add in NO WAY am I jokeing.

echoscot

A. I am major sick. The only reason this starts to worry me is because its coming from Merf & where he got it from.

B. I am with everyone on updating it but keeping the theme.

C. Screen rides eeeewww (note I do like Turtle Talk) but I can just watch screen rides from home

D. I have my handcuffs, rope, chains all ready who wants to tie me to COP if it comes to it. May I add in NO WAY am I jokeing.

Totally understand your feeling.

Of course we have seen that this was SOOOOOO effective for Mr. Toad...:rolleyes:

DisneyAnole

Accept for the fact that they had absolutely no problem kicking it's sorry out of DL decades ago. It may have happened sooner if not for budget issues. Like WDW really wants to have a pointless seasonal attraction in the corner of it's keystone park?

What does they care? They replaced an E-ticket with a playground.

Disney_Freak429

As far as Mr. Toad I was a tad younger at the time cut me some slack on that one. As far as renaming hmmm Pixar Whatever should fit well now *rolls eyes*. Not to pick on Pixar more but if they go the Wal-E route as good as it looks *blah* is my thought. If they want to update & keep the same theme MTR could work for me in ADDITION to the originals as a differnt ending with using not only the theme of the current CoP but "Keep Moving Forward". :)

CThaddeus

As for this rumored attraction going into the Innoventions building at Disneyland - didn't Disney and Microsoft strike a deal for Microsoft to do something with that building? Or could it be divided into two purposes (upper floor and lower floor)? I would be surprised for Microsoft to share any concept with Pixar. Or, is this Disney/MS connection totally a fabrication of my mind from reading too many Disney forums!!

From all I have heard and seen, the rumor is true. In fact, currently, the entire first level of Innoventions (Disneyland) is blocked off and guests are required to go up the exit ramp to get into the second level. From the second level inside you used to be able to see the first level, but right now it's all boarded off with "We're temporarily closed. Please visit other exciting Innoventions" signs all around. Additionally Siemens recently added a Project: Tomorrow section just like Spaceship Earth's, and Pioneer's section has just cleared out their section so something new may be going in there any day now (or maybe it's also slated for Microsoft).
I'm not sure what kind of contract Microsoft has with Disney (or even if there is one), but it seems strange to me that they would go to all this trouble just for something that will be ripped out in less than a year.
As for Carousel of Progress, I definitely hope the rumors stay rumors. I, too, am tired of the video screen attractions. Crush is a been there, done that, as if Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. I find them uninteresting, and kind of a cop-out as far as Imagineering goes. Where's the creativity in coming up with yet another, "Hey, look at me! I'm a cartoon character, and I can talk to you!" attraction?
I agree with the poster who expressed his preference for Audio-Animatronic attractions. Those are still impressive to me, even after 37 years.

echoscot

What's with all the hate on video screen attractions? You might as well say "Disney's already done a ride with audio-animatronics" :animwink:

Yeah, like I said If You Had Wings was all movie projectors (they really didn't have video screens back then) but it was a really popular ride.

I think most people are bored after sitting in front of video screens at home reminiscing about WDW so they don't want to look at another one when they get to the park...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
What is really comes down to is that the current group of designers seem to have their worlds working a bit backwords.

Entertaining shows and spectacles still have a basis in storytelling and theme. You come up with an idea you want to express, then find or make the technology to convey the idea.

Instead, they are creating technology and finding stories they feel fit it.

For example, if they wanted to have a Monsters night club, why the screen? Wouldn't it have been better told and more realistic with animatronics? Instead they decide they wanted a screen attraction and hunted for a show to fit it.

echoscot

Merf,

I agree with you on that one. To a point. The wow factor isn't always there with video screens.

Example ( and don't throw things at me) I am not a big fan of the Studio's version of Fantasmic!. The first time I saw it I was disappointed because I thought there was too much projection on a water screen and not enough of the live action going on. I had seen Disneyland's version and the "wow" factor just wasn't there in the WDW version.

They can do the same thing with immersive environments.

BUT WDI has been on a huge creative spree that we haven't seen in a while. And they have done some good stuff lately. I like the fact that the creative energy is being released again. It is refreshing. I know that I don't always enjoy everything they have done, but I don't want to kill the good stuff with the bad.

Everything I have seen about SSE is that there is a LOT of good stuff in there.

I really like Mission Space (not Mission to Mars people, that was a different attraction all together...LOL). I miss Horizons but I know these things will keep changing.

Heck before Disneyland was even 10 years old, Walt had already changed the landscape multiple times and rides had been added and taken away.

Keep in mind the last song...Tomorrow's Child....there is always something new around the corner. Let's see what it is. Some stuff we will love others...not so much...but still fun.

GrimGhost

What is really comes down to is that the current group of designers seem to have their worlds working a bit backwords.

Entertaining shows and spectacles still have a basis in storytelling and theme. You come up with an idea you want to express, then find or make the technology to convey the idea.

Instead, they are creating technology and finding stories they feel fit it.

For example, if they wanted to have a Monsters night club, why the screen? Wouldn't it have been better told and more realistic with animatronics? Instead they decide they wanted a screen attraction and hunted for a show to fit it.

I think you're essentially right on here. I think it's "leveraging technology" for the sake of it just being innovative, cutting edge, and interactive. In spite of creativity or, dare I say it...."Story".

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, like I said If You Had Wings was all movie projectors (they really didn't have video screens back then) but it was a really popular ride.

not only that - many of the attractions rely heavily on projectors... even rides people think of AA shows, like Horizons. The 'projectors are evil' is just a huge blacklash to several current attractions.

People's memories are short...

Kingdom WDW

So, if this is true, who is willing to come with me to Burbank and protest?

I think that the Carousel of Progress is more important then any other tribute to Walt Disney at any of the Disney Theme Parks. Americans need this show to help them understand where they came from, and to give kids some perspective. If they gave this kind of ride the treatment it deserves, it would get a beautiful refurbishment.

Instead, they are thinking of what ways they can get more kids and pre-teens into their park. Even when I was a kid/pre-teen i enjoyed this show. Its funny/smart, and there is nothing like it on the whole Disney Property.

Now, unless Disney is planning on moving this attraction to EPCOT, i will go protest. I figured this would happen some day, but with all the recent acceleration in rumors, it looks like its happening sooner rather then later.

This new ride better be the best damn thing since sliced bread.

I'm willing! The Carousel is one of my favorite attractions, both sentimentally and not. Tearing down this gem is like putting SSE under refurb for six months! What are the odds of that!

brkgnews

What's with all the hate on video screen attractions? You might as well say "Disney's already done a ride with audio-animatronics" :animwink:

Right. But, I have a movie theatre in my hometown. I don't have an animatronic show in my hometown.

not only that - many of the attractions rely heavily on projectors... even rides people think of AA shows, like Horizons. The 'projectors are evil' is just a huge blacklash to several current attractions.

People's memories are short...

I never said I never wanted to see another film in an attraction again. They are a good PART of a show... but shouldn't be the whole show everytime.

Soarin' -- A GREAT attraction that uses projection. But it would suck if we were just sitting there watching it instead of moving around.

Nemo -- A nice attraction that has a lot of projection in it, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective if it was just movies. The angler fish AA, the jellyfish, and so forth add a lot to it.

Everest -- the first yeti encounter (projection) is great, and accomplishes something you couldn't do as realistically (track demolition) with animatronics. But there's no way that we would have settled for a projection for the final encounter.

SSE -- some of the things people love most are projections... the Roman chariot, the "earthrise."

No, projections are not evil. But they should be PART of the repretoire, not the only trick in the bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom