News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
For further clarification, the piping from the sand dome is still there on all 4 locomotives, but it’s essentially for decoration. The piping goes from the sand dome down to the running board where it’s cut/plugged off. It doesn’t go all the way down to the drivers.

Disneyrailfan1996

The piping goes from the sand dome down to the running board where it’s cut/plugged off. It doesn’t go all the way down to the drivers.
Theoretically, could you remove the plug, and attach more piping (and a valve) then secure it in place? Or would you need to put new piping in? I imagine just removing the plug and leaving it that way would cause sand to get all over the place.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I imagine just removing the plug and leaving it that way would cause sand to get all over the place.
Correct. Opening the pipe where it is now would shoot sand from the height of the running board all inside of the rails. Huge mess.

Theoretically, could you remove the plug, and attach more piping (and a valve) then secure it in place? Or would you need to put new piping in?
My guess would be new piping. I say that because the current piping could strictly be decorative pipe and not intended to be functional. But if it does happen to be functional, then adding an extension is definitely possible.

Railfan26

Not to mention Walter is missing the yellow pinstriping on the front of his cab, the bottom of his steam dome, and the brown top on his tender wing... :(
il_1588xN.5403543871_isuo.jpg
I think the tender has a cleaner look without the brown stripe on the tender wing. As far as the cab windows go, I like how the pinstripes on the side windows are white instead of yellow. The only thing I would change about Walter’s new paint scheme is painting the wheels to the original dark red to match the boiler while keeping the new pinstripes on the counterweights.

disneytrain2001

I think the tender has a cleaner look without the brown stripe on the tender wing. As far as the cab windows go, I like how the pinstripes on the side windows are white instead of yellow. The only thing I would change about Walter’s new paint scheme is painting the wheels to the original dark red to match the boiler while keeping the new pinstripes on the counterweights.
I'll admit that the brown stripe on Walter's tender wing looked way too thick:
Walt-Disney-World-Railroad_Full_8135.jpg

I think the brown stripe on Walter's tender wing should be a little thinner so that the red was visibly seen as shown in a 1970s photograph:
10_11_78-Train-Walter-E-Disney.jpg-nggid0520485-ngg0dyn-2400x1598x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

I'm surprise Roger still retained that "spring green" stripe on his tender wing and the yellow pinstriping on his front cab windows after Strasburg!
WDW-MK-Roger-E.-Broggie-Train-Back-on-Track-8.jpg

Last edited:

Railfan26

Happy to announce that Roger has officially returned to service today.
Cheers to Strasburg to for their hard work and completing yet another overhaul. For those who don’t know, Theme park trains are NOT under FRA jurisdiction because they are not a part of a general railroad system nor do they have tracks that connect to one. Disney’s trains have been under state jurisdiction for the last 3 decades.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
For those who don’t know, Theme park trains are NOT under FRA jurisdiction because they are not a part of a general railroad system nor do they have tracks that connect to one.
No one had suggested otherwise. However, due to the RCID being dissolved and the nature of the newly formed CFTOD, there is now a slightly higher than zero chance that the WDWRR could fall under FRA jurisdiction, and it’s all because of one little section of the line. I doubt anything will come of it, but it’ll be interesting to watch and see.

dtng2000

Cheers to Strasburg to for their hard work and completing yet another overhaul. For those who don’t know, Theme park trains are NOT under FRA jurisdiction because they are not a part of a general railroad system nor do they have tracks that connect to one. Disney’s trains have been under state jurisdiction for the last 3 decades.
There was a rumor at one point that stated that Dollywood is apparently under the FRA jurisdiction. At least that’s what someone on Facebook told me.

Railfan26

There was a rumor at one point that stated that Dollywood is apparently under the FRA jurisdiction. At least that’s what someone on Facebook told me.
I’ve heard that rumor about all the parks with trains that used to be a part of narrow gauge railroad systems, but they’re not. Dollywood owns World War 2 era locomotives but no, they’re not under FRA jurisdiction.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve heard that rumor about all the parks with trains that used to be a part of narrow gauge railroad systems, but they’re not. Dollywood owns World War 2 era locomotives but no, they’re not under FRA jurisdiction.
There are narrow gauge lines that are part of the FRA (fun fact, there is still an international narrow gauge line - the White Pass & Yukon operates from Skagway Alaska into British Columbia) and there are standard gauge lines that are not (the Henry Ford Greenfield Village is a great example… and one with a Disney connection :)

Railfan26

Something blows my mind; when Roger came back from Tweetsie in 2003, I kid you not he wore the same shade of green as the Tweetsie locos!
The biggest reason why I’d prefer the original emerald green over the Tweetsie green. It’s easier to see the difference between the Emerald Green and Lilly’s Hunter Green in person compared to looking at photos and videos on electronics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom