News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

Disone

Used to have a lighter shade of green. It was repainted dark green during the overhaul; this is a very similar (if not the same) shade of green on Lilly Belle. When the railroad first opened, this was Roger's paint scheme.
I read that after my posted and edited my post to now say a visual reminder:).

disneytrain2001

Here's the 2001 image to prove my point and theory:

Compare it with the so-called 70s-90s photo:

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 57

Railfan26

Here's a video of Roger E. Broggie testing.

PS: The Lonergan is still there! However if Walter is still wearing the Crosby, it could be hard to tell the two apart. No bell yet; just hope they didn't pull a E.P. Ripley.

All locomotives came back from strasburg with some small difference. For Roger that difference is the decals for the name of the locomotive and the lettering on the tender. It’s a different font and it’s gold instead of white, but the decals are not metallic like Roy’s. I hope Roy comes back with the metallic lettering or perhaps update it to gold chrome.

disneytrain2001

Here's a video of Roger E. Broggie testing.

PS: The Lonergan is still there! However if Walter is still wearing the Crosby, it could be hard to tell the two apart. No bell yet; just hope they didn't pull a E.P. Ripley.

Listening to both whistles carefully, Walter's Crosby 4 inch 3-chime had a lower note, while Roger's Lonergan 3.5 inch 3-chime had a somewhat higher note. I love seeing the Ten-Wheeler Twins both wearing whistles that almost sounded similar to one another. 🙂

Last edited:

Disone

For reference to the original paint scheme…

View attachment 766066

View attachment 766067
Unsure of the year, but likely sometime in the 70s or 80s.

VS

Most recent/Tweetsie refurb paint scheme…

View attachment 766068View attachment 766069View attachment 766070View attachment 766071
Thank you. These are all great. I definitely prefer the darker green. Also excited that Walter, Lilly where running while Roger was also doing laps. So three train operation today:).

Last edited:

Railfan26

Compared to the Lilly Belle and pictures from being on display during the closure, Roger’s stack has been lowered a few inches. To me it’s not a big deal. For those who don’t remember, Walter used to fit through the roundhouse doors by only a HALF INCH because it had the tallest stack, and it was lowered because the Tron tunnel is about the same height.

dtng2000

Compared to the Lilly Belle and pictures from being on display during the closure, Roger’s stack has been lowered a few inches. To me it’s not a big deal. For those who don’t remember, Walter used to fit through the roundhouse doors by only a HALF INCH because it had the tallest stack, and it was lowered because the Tron tunnel is about the same height.
It’s not a big deal for me either. To me, #1 and #3 were always on the taller side so they had to be lowered. But it's actually kinda funny that #3 needed smokestack height adjustments because Nos. 2 and 3 have the same smokestacks. Not sure if #2 underwent a smokestack height adjustment during its overhaul but clearly it fits through the tunnel. So does #4, and if that one doesn’t need its smokestack to be adjusted, it might save time during its refurbishment.

Last edited:

disneytrain2001

Eh, not really. But I’m done kicking a dead horse. Let’s agree to disagree on this one.
Nah, I've paid close attention to very small details and I'm 100% certain that the top photo was taken around 2004, because I can tell that Roger looks more an "emerald green" instead of a "deep hunter green" like Lilly. :p
RogerE.BroggiePhotoByJeffTerry.jpg

No.2LillyBelleAtMickey'sStarlandin1994.jpg

Last edited:

dtng2000

Just another thing that hit me: is Strasburg the one who made the new boilers for the locomotives? And are there any differences between the new and old boilers?

TrainsOfDisney

Just another thing that hit me: is Strasburg the one who made the new boilers for the locomotives? And are there any differences between the new and old boilers?
Strasburg had them made and assembled them, they don’t actually make the boilers at Strasburg shops though.

Strasburg is a great place to visit - one of the only tourist railroads around that runs steam powered trains 100%. Across the street is the railroad museum of Pennsylvania, one of the best railroad museums in the country, and also the choo choo barn - a fantastic model railroad with many custom animations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom