Rock Your Disney Side - 24 hour character party at Magic Kingdom

DABIGCHEEZ

My point is the company is putting more and more expectations on their cast members and giving them less and less back. So if a cast member is dreading another day of long hours, overcrowded park, and not enough staff to handle it, I don't blame them.

This can be said for most companies in America these days. If a cast member/employee does not like it...seek employment elsewhere. You might be surprised at what you find. The grass ain't alway greener as the saying goes...

Pumbaa1222

I work 2 jobs in completely unrelated fields of work. (neither makes a lot more than $8 an hour) BOTH do require on special occasions working 10-12 shifts, and yes, even some in the middle of the night. Any one that works in retail or a service field knows this. This will start a whole other debate, but how do you think stores open all night for Black Friday? Required MINIMUM 12 hour shifts for ALL employees. It's really not that awful, completely doable, and it is planned MONTHS in advance. Not to mention, a sense of camaraderie, as everyone is in it together. And if anyone thinks it's easier to work retail on Black Friday, than in the Magic Kingdom on a special event, you are crazy.

kylewr86

For the Aid who works 12 hour shifts all the time without complaining - THANK YOU.

Everything you do is appreciated. When someone comes back from vomiting in the bathroom to find fresh sheets, they love you. They want to thank you, but you're gone - off doing something for someone else.

When they ask for room temperature pop because the cold stuff makes them sick and you bring not one, but two or three...with straws!...and they find them there, within reach, when they wake up...they love you. They want to thank you, but you're gone.

When they apologize for vomiting all over the bed and you tell them it happens every day and isn't even the worst thing that happened today, then distract them with a pleasant story about the male patient who keeps grabbing your butt when you turn him (not complaining, just chatting), they're so grateful.

When your patients say, "Thank you", they mean, "This is the some of the worst stuff I'll have to endure in my life. I am miserable here and I hate all of this and you've just shot a burst of Sunshine into my misery, for which I'll always be grateful. You can't know how much I appreciate it. God bless you."

The fact that you work 12 hour shifts with no lunch and no breaks and get paid eight or ten dollars an hour is a shame. That you do it without complaining is amazing.

Nurses and aids always say they don't take breaks because they can't. But you could. You don't, because you can't let yourselves sit and rest while someone else sits in their own vomit or whathaveyou.

It is unfortunate that the people who are most grateful are usually too sick or sleepy to thank you, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to do it for them.

Before I was a patient, I had no idea how much something as simple as fresh, new sheets could mean to someone, especially turned down, saving the effort of turning them down. When you're sick, every saved movement helps so much.

Thanks for the clean sheets, the warm pop I can reach and for being so nice about it all. :)

And thanks for doing your complaining where we can't hear it. :)

Post of the year. Bless you! ;)

R W B

For the people who are telling the cast members that do not want to work another 24-hour day that if they don't like it, find somewhere else to work, please note that as easy as it is to say that, it's not as easy to follow through on that. A lot of people don't realize the big sacrifice a lot of Disney cast members do just to make our vacations more magical. A lot of them relocate from other areas of the world, leaving their families and loved ones to make Dumbo fly, some college program kids puts their education on hold for a semester or even a year just to come down to flip burgers at Pecos Bill's, and retirees come down to spend their last years to cash out those mouse ears you want to purchase because the same marketing Disney uses to get people to book trips is used in their recruiting. They say come down and you'll be creating memories, helping others live out their dreams, and be part of their celebrations. And while the majority of them do a great job carrying out that message, others get quite the shock that this is a business, the main goal is to turn a profit and if you don't have a business savvy brain you aren't moving up the ladder.
And to make it worse they notice a lot of their perks are getting taken away from them. Case in point a cast member just had her parents come down, staying in a Disney Resort but she wasn't able to book her fast pass + reservations ahead of time because Disney is not allowing the cms to use their employee admissions to be linked to any magic bands. So the best she could do is wait in the lines with everyone else and hope she could get times that were in sync with her family's. Even though she was staying in a resort.
My point is the company is putting more and more expectations on their cast members and giving them less and less back. So if a cast member is dreading another day of long hours, overcrowded park, and not enough staff to handle it, I don't blame them.
You make a lot of good points but some of them are invalid simply because those college kids that put their education on hold for a semester to help make my trip more magical, they choose to do that. They apply to do that and hundreds I'm sure are turned down each semester. It's not like wdw has a college draft and if chosen you must go and work there. Same with those retirees that come down to spend their last years working for the mouse, they choose to do that too. It's very simple, if you don't like your job, leave. I'm taking my own advice, next wed is my last day at my current employer of 4.5 years.

Point is Disney doesn't have to change their ways for their CMs until it comes to a point where they have a massive walkout or college kids and retirees stop lining up to work for pennies..

wdwfan22

Disney recently activated rock your disney side dot com suggesting that this will be the name for the next 24 hour event that should be announced soon. The site went down shortly after being activated.

ImagineerDude

I am trying not to get too excited about it, because it likely won't happen while I am there, but a villans party would be sweet!
Ha I'm going the first weekend in May and the Friday (my birthday) is the only Friday in May MK closes at 10pm (maybe they'll change it to 6am-6am ;) ) so here's to hoping I get a 24hour Villains Party on my birthday!

Jakester

Not sure why no one was more excited about this comment.
I'm really hoping that TDO does take those keys and does attempt this. I've watched "Villainy in the Sky" multiple times online and it was an amazing show. It would look spectacular over the Magic Kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom