Rock Your Disney Side - 24 hour character party at Magic Kingdom

JimboJones123

We guests love these special events, including me. I am sorry it's such a mess for the CMs, didn't realize they work you 12 hours straight (thought normal shifts were 9 or 10 hours plus 2 breaks and 1 lunch?) -- 12 hours is not cool.

Is there anything we can do to make it cooler for the CMs?
Be patient, listen to instructions (stay on the right please!), not yell or demand unreasonable things, not dropping trash anywhere, not showing up for FP 2 hours later then screaming "but I had a FastPass!" - are probably at the top. Seeing all that stuff makes me crazy. Hit guest relations with thank yous naming the CM instead of complaints? How often does that happen, I've only done it maybe twice... :D
Anything else?

Wow that's a good point... but I think they turned off FP machines at some point last year, I forget when was maybe 1am? So I'm guessing the FP+ will stop giving reservations at some point too?
People were moving so slowly, most lines were not backed up. The mountains were busy and Pan of course... but tons of walk-ons. Even Enchanted Tales w/ Belle was a walk on at one point, and yes there were half-asleep toddlers in jammies in there after midnight, had to laugh.

No FP after a point?
So the lines will work?
And move?

AWESOME!

kylewr86

I dont really get the CMs not wanting to work it for a 12 hour shift when they get a lunch and two breaks. I work at a hospital and walk around 10 miles everyday which is more than most CM's since they stand a lot. I care for sick people and get stressed with deaths and ect. I am not guaranteed any breaks. We get a lunch if the unit is not too busy and thats usually it. No breaks, holding your bladder and working 12 hours sounds a lot worse than the CM's working the happiest place on earth. I would gladly do their job and spread the pixie dust and magic around

TalkingHead

I dont really get the CMs not wanting to work it for a 12 hour shift when they get a lunch and two breaks. I work at a hospital and walk around 10 miles everyday which is more than most CM's since they stand a lot. I care for sick people and get stressed with deaths and ect. I am not guaranteed any breaks. We get a lunch if the unit is not too busy and thats usually it. No breaks, holding your bladder and working 12 hours sounds a lot worse than the CM's working the happiest place on earth. I would gladly do their job and spread the pixie dust and magic around

Do you get paid $8/hour, too?

kylewr86

Im not an RN yet and I barely a little more than that. We start out around the $8 when beginning to work at the hospital. Once again I would gladly work it all night at the happiest place on earth. Btw shouldnt a RN make alot more when we go to school and now have to get a BSN to work while having your life in our hands. Its not even close to the same. No valid argument there.

Bolt

Im not an RN yet and I barely a little more than that. We start out around the $8 when beginning to work at the hospital. Once again I would gladly work it all night at the happiest place on earth. Btw shouldnt a RN make alot more when we go to school and now have to get a BSN to work while having your life in our hands. Its not even close to the same. No valid argument there.
Show me a hospital where a RN starts at $8. Also, if you say you're not an RN but claim your job is not comparable, maybe you should list what your job is.

kylewr86

Show me a hospital where a RN starts at $8. Also, if you say you're not an RN but claim your job is not comparable, maybe you should list what your job is.

Ever heard of a Nurses Aid. We start at $8/hr. We have lives in our hands just like the RN's but they start at $23 out of school. Like I said its not comparable to working in the parks and having way less responsibilities. Not saying working a 12 is easy just its not as hard as everyone is making it seem. I have worked over and that means generally working 16 hours with just a 30 min lunch. I get its not something the CM's want to do but it could be worse. They should be happy to be at disney and have a job. Alot of people are looking these days and cannot find work.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
All CM's get OT after 8 hours. However, not all CM's make $8...
Is that Disney's OT policy? Anything over 8 hours worked in a day is OT? Because, that certainly isn't the law. If that is their policy, they are being pretty generous with their non-exempt employees. I'm impressed...but, I am also suspicious that is their policy.

PhotoDave219

Hey… First thing before I take this on a different tangent, I'm completely in favor of another 24 hour party. A lot of fun.

That being said…

Are you currently drinking cast members in this thread? The ones that give us grief for criticizing the human resource policies of this company? The ones they give us grief for criticizing the management practices?

We question the big picture and you give us grief but when it finally affects you, you whine like a child. This is what you signed up for. Deal with it.

We find management's treatment of the cast as unacceptable as you do.

Bolt

Ever heard of a Nurses Aid. We start at $8/hr. We have lives in our hands just like the RN's but they start at $23 out of school. Like I said its not comparable to working in the parks and having way less responsibilities. Not saying working a 12 is easy just its not as hard as everyone is making it seem. I have worked over and that means generally working 16 hours with just a 30 min lunch. I get its not something the CM's want to do but it could be worse. They should be happy to be at disney and have a job. Alot of people are looking these days and cannot find work.
Or to counter your $8, Cast Member should make like $2 because they don't have peoples lives in their hand.

Is that Disney's OT policy? Anything over 8 hours worked in a day is OT? Because, that certainly isn't the law. If that is their policy, they are being pretty generous with their non-exempt employees. I'm impressed...but, I am also suspicious that is their policy.
That is policy.

JimboJones123

Hey… First thing before I take this on a different tangent, I'm completely in favor of another 24 hour party. A lot of fun.

That being said…

Are you currently drinking cast members in this thread? The ones that give us grief for criticizing the human resource policies of this company? The ones they give us grief for criticizing the management practices?

We question the big picture and you give us grief but when it finally affects you, you whine like a child. This is what you signed up for. Deal with it.

We find management's treatment of the cast as unacceptable as you do.

One does not have to work for The Walt Disney Corporation.

In fact, an AP would be paid off the first month of working at a $10 an hour job and then there would be no black out dates.

The freebies and discounts just don't seem to be worth all the horrid grief that so many CMs claim to be suffering from.

BrittanyRose428

With regards to the discussion up there about working 12 hr. shifts and whatnot ^ :: I think the issue for CM's is that it isn't a job where you expect to work Attractions from 3 AM to 3 PM. While you do expect to work really early or really late sometimes, it's not regularly expected that you'll go into work at 3 AM and leave at 3 PM. Any kind of medical job may require you to be at work for long shifts at weird times because people will always need medical care. People do not always need to be in theme parks. It's the same reason I used to gripe about working at Staples on Black Friday-- it isn't a job that needs to entail you being there over night. Being open at 1 AM and making employees work so someone can buy a computer (that they could just as easily purchase during regular hours the next day) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My friends who are nurses have always assumed that they could have shifts that are really long or at weird times because someone may need medical care at AM...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom