RnRc Contract End?

Missing20K

One Word:

Redhotchilipeppers.

:lookaroun

Something tells me Disney wouldn't want a band with recovering heroin addicts in the frontman and lead guitarist being part of the theming and promotion of an attraction. :shrug: Though I wouldn't complain, cause I love their music.

Something tells me Disney wouldn't want a band with recovering heroin addicts in the frontman and lead guitarist being part of the theming and promotion of an attraction. :shrug: Though I wouldn't complain, cause I love their music.

I wouldn't be surprised, They used them before on California Screamin' and Rockin' Space Mountain. Plus I think they would fit better than a lot of other bands people have been saying. You can't just think of what is popular, you have to also think of what would fit well with a roller coaster. Many have said Queen but do you really think that would fit? Plus without Freddie Mercury it wouldn't be the same. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a band that are fairly popular with many people. I would personally much rather them stick with Aerosmith but if they did change I think The Red Hot Chili Peppers would be a decent move. Plus everyone knows that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were considered the "Toxic Twins" at one point for their drug addictions and that didn't matter. So although The Red Hot Chili Peppers are recovering Heroin addicts so was Aerosmith. I've actually even heard rumors that Miley Cyrus was trying to break away from Disney...I'm not sure though. Anyone else hear that? I'll try and find the source but I think I heard it on TMZ haha

Edit: Sorry lilclerk I didn't realize you posted the videos so I accidently re-answered the question haha

Missing20K

I guess the sarcasm wasn't apparent in my posts. I said the lead guitarist and frontman are recovering heroin addicts, but I was trying to be sarcastic, as both Aerosmith and Red Hot Chili Peppers frontmen and lead guitarists have a well documented history of drug abuse.

There needs to be an emoticon for sarcasm.

I guess the sarcasm wasn't apparent in my posts. I said the lead guitarist and frontman are recovering heroin addicts, but I was trying to be sarcastic, as both Aerosmith and Red Hot Chili Peppers frontmen and lead guitarists have a well documented history of drug abuse.

There needs to be an emoticon for sarcasm.

Ooops I'm sorry I didn't realize.

Figment571

If my thought process is correct Queen would have probably been the first choice if Freddie (RIP) wasn't dead. That is due to the fact that they have a wide range in sound and that Disney owns the label that sells thier music in NA (Hollywood Records.).

But well it couldn't happen now. But we still get The Cosmos Rocks!! Oct 28!!

Oriolesmagic

If my thought process is correct Queen would have probably been the first choice if Freddie (RIP) wasn't dead. That is due to the fact that they have a wide range in sound and that Disney owns the label that sells thier music in NA (Hollywood Records.).

But well it couldn't happen now. But we still get The Cosmos Rocks!! Oct 28!!

I say we theme it to Food Rocks! Who's with me!

slappy magoo

To keep the ride's current theming to a "rock and roll" music coaster, they absolutely have to use a legendary, world-class rock and roll act. As many others have said, they would be seriously excluding a large portion of their customer base if themed to any of the 'tween acts. No way you would see a group of people without any children, over the age of say, 22, waiting in line to ride a JB, HM, or HSM ride.

Here's why I disagree with this comment, and a lot of the opinions of this board (though you all rock like a ham hock in your own way, don't go changing...to try to please me...don't change the color of your hair...)

The problem of replacing Aerosmith with any popular act, be they a legendary act or a flavor of the month - heck, the problem of using Aerosmith in the first place - is that you risk the ride seeming obsolete if the act either drops in popularity, breaks up, a member gets caught "in flagrante delecto" :lookaroun it's a problem waiting to happen. I understand why Aerosmith seemed like a logical choice, and why a lot of people lean towards another legendary act, but honestly, why must it be an actual act?

The ride's in Disney's Hollywood Stories, for crying out loud. I think it'd be great to create an original story, complete with opening movie, about either a young band who are offered a big break if they can get to the gig RIGHT NOW (hence the rush that comes from the coaster) or an aging fictional act (in two words: Spinal Tap, tell me THAT preshow film wouldn't be hilarious, and I'll call you a damned liar) getting a last-minute opportunity to fill-in for a supergroup that got held up flying into Los Angeles. If it's a young band, heck, it could be a band played by the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus, just not playing themselves. Let them be goofy, like that susprisingly funny Backstreet Boys video that "homaged" the documentary Heavy Metal Parking Lot. S***w worrying about the best popular act, or worrying about a flash-in-the-pan artist automatically dating the attraction before it has a chance to reopen. Get Spinal Tap, or make up an original act, and make the attraction "a movie starring YOU" as you're with the band trying to get to the gig of a lifetime. Change the audio of the ride to include dialogue from the band as they speed through traffic narrowly averting danger and cops. Make it funny. Make it fun.

Here's why I disagree with this comment, and a lot of the opinions of this board (though you all rock like a ham hock in your own way, don't go changing...to try to please me...don't change the color of your hair...)

The problem of replacing Aerosmith with any popular act, be they a legendary act or a flavor of the month - heck, the problem of using Aerosmith in the first place - is that you risk the ride seeming obsolete if the act either drops in popularity, breaks up, a member gets caught "in flagrante delecto" :lookaroun it's a problem waiting to happen. I understand why Aerosmith seemed like a logical choice, and why a lot of people lean towards another legendary act, but honestly, why must it be an actual act?

The ride's in Disney's Hollywood Stories, for crying out loud. I think it'd be great to create an original story, complete with opening movie, about either a young band who are offered a big break if they can get to the gig RIGHT NOW (hence the rush that comes from the coaster) or an aging fictional act (in two words: Spinal Tap, tell me THAT preshow film wouldn't be hilarious, and I'll call you a damned liar) getting a last-minute opportunity to fill-in for a supergroup that got held up flying into Los Angeles. If it's a young band, heck, it could be a band played by the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus, just not playing themselves. Let them be goofy, like that susprisingly funny Backstreet Boys video that "homaged" the documentary Heavy Metal Parking Lot. S***w worrying about the best popular act, or worrying about a flash-in-the-pan artist automatically dating the attraction before it has a chance to reopen. Get Spinal Tap, or make up an original act, and make the attraction "a movie starring YOU" as you're with the band trying to get to the gig of a lifetime. Change the audio of the ride to include dialogue from the band as they speed through traffic narrowly averting danger and cops. Make it funny. Make it fun.

Hmmm....... I'll admit I actually sort of like this idea. I definitely think they should try and keep Aerosmith but if they can't it might actually be a good idea to create a fake band and change the story a bit. A Spinal Tap like band would be hilarious. I don't think it should be a young band but it would be better if it was an aging band that thinks there still living in the 80's in my opinion (Not literally think their still in the 80's but was popular once and isn't anymore but still dresses like an 80's style rock band.) I think the imagineers could come up with plenty of ideas with this concept.

Missing20K

Actually, it could work very well to create a new backstory for the ride, including your idea about either an up and coming band or an aging band. That, if done well, could be a hit. Although I would disagree about using one of the 'tween franchises to act in it, only because how those franchises are marketed, I believe it would be come whatever name they gave it "starring the Jonas Brothers, HM, etc." which in my opinion would begin to overshadow whatever original story they came up with, and all anyone would remember (especially younger patrons) is the ride with JB, HM, etc.

Also, I'm not sure how a legendary rock band such as The Beatles, Rolling Stones, maybe U2 to some extent, would ever become obsolete. The Beatles are here to stay I'm pretty sure, and I think the same could be said, although maybe to a lesser extent, for Van Halen, Queen, The Who. And who is to say that the JB, HM, or cast of HSM, could not be caught in "flagrante delecto" or become less popular (as the JB, HM, HSM inevitably will)???

I think the best idea after hearing your suggestions would be to re-theme it to a generic rock band, as you suggested, with an emphasis on the beginning stages of rock and roll, and with that you could theme the entire attraction and outdoor area to a post WWII theme, tying it in with the ToT next door and sunset blvd. and the park in general.

2 cents.

Senderella

What about all the high schoolers, college students, and young adults who come to DHS ONLY for RnRc and ToT?

What about all the companies that pay BIG BUCKS to rent out Rock 'n' Rollercoaster for a convention?

Yes, it would still be the same roller coaster, but the Hannah Montana theme would be a HUGE turn-off for the vast majority of RnRc's riders.

Plus, it's one band that almost everyone can agree on. There've been a lot of bands thrown out there on this thread and while I'm cool with all of them (with the exception of Lin. Park) choosing a band for RnRC that pleases everyone would be impossible to do. I wouldn't mind seeing original GnR, old Metallica or AC/DC in RnRC, but the fact is not everyone would be happy with that. I think Aerosmith is probably one of the most if not THE most generally appealing for all audiences. I can't think of another rock band that's as widely accepted. I'm sure Gene Simmons would be all over it if it were offered, King of marketing that he is, but I can't see KISS appealing to everyone nor anyone else for that matter. I doubt Disney wants to alienate any portion of their guests on something as LARGE as RnRC.

haveyoumetmark

Wow. You get it. This is a really good idea. +10!! :wave:

Imagineer Mitch

Original Poster
honestly for right now, i hope they never get rid of Aerosmith, the band just goes perfect with the ride and more than likely they will renew with Disney, cause im sure they want money and im sure Disney is paying them a pretty penny to use their stuff. The ride does not need to change no matter what ever everyone else says, it just needs to stay the same, its my family's favorite, basically the only reason we go to Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

The problem with this discussion is that we're looking at it the wrong way. The question shouldn't be what band should Disney get for this ride, but rather what band would want their name associated with Disney.

My understanding was that Red Hot Chili Peppers received a lot of negative feedback from their fans for "selling out" to Disney. The result was no advertising of "Rockin both parks" seen outside of the parks.

Forgive me for bringing in the election, but you'll see several bands wanting their music excluded from a political campaign. I know party affiliations are different than corporate tie ins with a band's music, but I'm sure that some bands would turn Disney down. I don't know if this was already the case - as Aerosmith may not have been Disney's first choice.

With that, I think the list of options shrinks. Without trying to insult too many music fans, I look at some of the performers/bands that would likely be willing. The name that jumps to the top of my list is Jon Bon Jovi. He's had a resurgence of late, and many have said that in doing so he's "sold out". With that said, he has many classic songs that are hard enough to be linked with a roller coaster. He's also relevant enough today as he was 10-20 years ago, much like Aerosmith. With that said, I would rather not see Aerosmith go down in a Blaze of Glory (sorry... I had to make a bad pun).

TrojanUSC

Back when the attraction was being concieved, there were a number of other bands considered, including U2, The Dave Matthews Band, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, those 3 brothers known as Hanson.

Disney thought the latter would appeal to the teen set they were targeting that would otherwise be heading to Universal's new Island's of Adventure.

However, Aerosmith proved to be a good fit. With the change of the name from "Rock 'n Roller Coaster" to "Rock 'n Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith," the band gave Disney a favorable deal that allowed use of the songs as promotional, so no performance fees would need to be paid.

MonoRon

Surely they can't possibly be thinking about replacing Aerosmith with a flash in the pan pop act. Aerosmith is really the perfect fit for the attraction, but if they do feel like they need to make a change I think that going generic is the best way to go. Either create a fake band (played for laughs along the lines of Spinal Tap) or make a generic preshow and constantly update the audio with current tracks. But going all the way Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers would be an extremely dumb idea. The target audience wouldn't be tall enough to ride :lol:

or just use Spinal Tap and turn it up to 11!

hemloc

Back when the attraction was being concieved, there were a number of other bands considered, including U2, The Dave Matthews Band, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, those 3 brothers known as Hanson.

Dave Matthews:snore:??? LOL!! Most boring ride... EVAH???? Anyone??

I would have to say that KISS would be a good move*... Could toss in some pyrotechnics and it would be pretty wild!!

*I'm not a KISS or Aerosmith fan, per se, so there:kiss:!!

TrojanUSC

Dave Matthews:snore:??? LOL!! Most boring ride... EVAH???? Anyone??

I would have to say that KISS would be a good move*... Could toss in some pyrotechnics and it would be pretty wild!!

*I'm not a KISS or Aerosmith fan, per se, so there:kiss:!!

Haha, true, but you have to remember this was back in the era of Ants Marching, What Would You Say and the more upbeat stuff from Crash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom