Resort Pool Hopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk4444

What are the rules for resort pool hopping? I'm staying at Caribbean Beach in August and my kids wanted to know if we could use other resort pools. I realize that the Beach/Yacht Club pool is off limits but, are there any other No No's?

Saoirse1916

topics that will incite flaming:
monorail expansion
Again, I don't mean to go off topic but I'm still fairly new here and I've seen this come up before while reading other threads -- does this incite flaming simply because it's been asked and answered 1000 times or is there some other issue here?

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

lol no need to defend yourself to me I wasn't referring to anyone in particular in this thread, but as the topic of parking fees and resort mugs comes up every once in a while there have been some senior members that have defended it.

oh and I don't condone it either, I myself have never done it. To be asked to leave a resort for that would be mortifying to me. :wave:
I know you were not..but I wanted to throw that out there...:lol:

Upvote 0

njDizFan

Again, I don't mean to go off topic but I'm still fairly new here and I've seen this come up before while reading other threads -- does this incite flaming simply because it's been asked and answered 1000 times or is there some other issue here?
Basically it's been something rumored for so many years, if not decades. But unfortunately it is just too costly that in reality it is not feasable.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is pretty much it. It also spawns and endless monorail cost vs benefits argument that inevitably turns ugly. Search "monorail expansion" sometime and you will see what I am talking about. You can also search "5th gate" and will see a similar situation.

Upvote 0

pax_65

As a DVC member I pool-hop (legally) often.

If you're going to do it (legally or not) - HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION for resort guests. You are a GUEST of that resort.

First, never pool-hop in peak season because the pool is likely to be at capacity. (It's not allowed then even for DVC members, because it is much more likely to cause a problem.)

Second, leave the best chairs/tables for the resort guests and take as few chairs as possible.

Third, if the pool fills up, leave so resort guests can enjoy their pool.

If everyone was considerate of Resort Guests, pool hopping wouldn't be such a big deal. It could probably even be officially permitted at slower times of the year. We also wouldn't need the extra security measures (which I'm sure brings extra costs) for pools like Stormalong Bay.

Upvote 0

pax_65

I find it odd how many people are against pool hopping but condone parking at a monorail resort to avoid to the parking fees or bring in their refillable mugs back from a previous trip.

Here's what I ask my kids... "What would happen if everyone did it?" Think of yourself as a member of society instead of one entitled individual.

If everyone pool hopped without consideration, every affected pool would have security like Stormalong Bay, and we'd all pay for that with increased costs and a changed pool experience.

If everyone parked at monorail resorts, Disney would take steps to make that very difficult - so it would be a royal pain-in-the-butt to visit the Grand Floridian (and to some extent we're seeing this already, at least in comparison to the past).

If everyone re-used old refillable mugs, the program would become unprofitable for Disney so they would discontinue it. Personally, I would miss it - I more than get my money from it during each trip.

If everyone took up two parking spots, if everyone butted in line, if everyone exceeded the speed limit, if everyone ignored stop signs, etc. You can do this for just about anything - in Disney or out in the real world.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

Here's what I ask my kids... "What would happen if everyone did it?" Think of yourself as a member of society instead of one entitled individual.

If everyone pool hopped without consideration, every affected pool would have security like Stormalong Bay, and we'd all pay for that with increased costs and a changed pool experience.

If everyone parked at monorail resorts, Disney would take steps to make that very difficult - so it would be a royal pain-in-the-butt to visit the Grand Floridian (and to some extent we're seeing this already, at least in comparison to the past).

If everyone re-used old refillable mugs, the program would become unprofitable for Disney so they would discontinue it. Personally, I would miss it - I more than get my money from it during each trip.

If everyone took up two parking spots, if everyone butted in line, if everyone exceeded the speed limit, if everyone ignored stop signs, etc. You can do this for just about anything - in Disney or out in the real world.

I don't consider myself an entitled individual, and I don't pool hop or park at the monorail resorts. But I have in the past brought back my refillable mug from a previous trip. If disney cared enough about people doing it they would certainly take measures preventing it, I believe they have a system in place at the water parks.
Your what would happen if everyone did approach isn't for me though, as I can think for myself most of the time and I don't worry about what other people are doing, and me refilling my mug should only concern Disney as it doesn't affect other guests in any way.

Upvote 0

WDWiz318

The only way people should be allowed at other resorts is if they have reservations at a particular restaurant that happens to be at that specific hotel. I guess some people think they pay to be in WDW they should have full use of all the resorts & attractions. All though that's true about the parks & restaurants, it isn't true for the actual hotels. Where's the fairness that someone pays X amount of $ to stay in a deluxe & someone who couldn't afford that paid X amount of $ to stay in a value, then the value decides to shoot over to a deluxe & make use of what that hotel has to offer to IT'S rightful guests. Sounds like stealing to me.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And that sounds like fishing to me. Though they may have poor dress sense the majority of poor people I've met staying at moderates dont smell and their manners aren't too bad, some can even use cutlery. Im sure it acts as a motivator seeing how their betters holiday too.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

This is one of the very few things that really gets me upset. I hate people who pool hop. If you want to use a resort's pool, then get a room there. Otherwise stay out!

Here's another thread on the matter http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=477270

What about toilet-hoppers? Does it bug you when someone who isn't paying for a room at a resort decide to use the public toilet? If everyone did that, resort guests might have to wait for a toilet or go all the way back to their room! :mad: Even if there is an open toilet, the toilet-hopper undoubtedly caused a stinky smell the resort guest has to endure. :hurl:

If you want to use the toilet at a resort, get a room! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

What about toilet-hoppers? Does it bug you when someone who isn't paying for a room at a resort decide to use the public toilet? If everyone did that, resort guests might have to wait for a toilet or go all the way back to their room! :mad: Even if there is an open toilet, the toilet-hopper undoubtedly caused a stinky smell the resort guest has to endure. :hurl:

If you want to use the toilet at a resort, get a room! :ROFLOL:

A.Hence the term, public restroom. There are signs up saying pools are for the use of that resorts guests only.

B.If I had a pool in my room, I wouldn't use the resort pool.:animwink:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The only way people should be allowed at other resorts is if they have reservations at a particular restaurant that happens to be at that specific hotel. I guess some people think they pay to be in WDW they should have full use of all the resorts & attractions. All though that's true about the parks & restaurants, it isn't true for the actual hotels. Where's the fairness that someone pays X amount of $ to stay in a deluxe & someone who couldn't afford that paid X amount of $ to stay in a value, then the value decides to shoot over to a deluxe & make use of what that hotel has to offer to IT'S rightful guests. Sounds like stealing to me.

It's hard to keep people out of the resorts. Though because of this reason is why we won't stay at the Polynesian anymore. It becomes too mobbed there at night with guests from other resorts.

Upvote 0

pax_65

I can think for myself most of the time and I don't worry about what other people are doing, and me refilling my mug should only concern Disney as it doesn't affect other guests in any way.

My original comments were in the context of teaching my kids, of showing them a good example of integrity and honesty. Other than that I don't care what anyone else does either, unless it affects me personally. If you walk around judging other people (and many people do) you will make yourself crazy - and I'm not Mr. Perfect either.

That said, let me ask this:

Because Disney does not strictly enforce the terms of the transaction you agreed to when you purchased the mug, do you believe you have the right to ignore those terms?

If Disney didn't have a good system for checking the validity of an expired annual pass, would you continue using the same annual pass for years and years until it was finally rejected?

Where do you draw the line? At what point is it "stealing" a product or service from the company?

I want my kids to think about these kinds of issues before they make choices, not just take whatever they can get away with.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

A.Hence the term, public restroom. There are signs up saying pools are for the use of that resorts guests only.

B.If I had a pool in my room, I wouldn't use the resort pool.:animwink:

We already know from post #47 that if Disney decided to make a rule that the toilets are for paying resort guests, then you will switch and be on my side here. Whether it is a rule is all that you care about. :lol:

I'm not waiting around for a Mickey Mouse "no p00ping" sign before my nose tells me I don't like toilet-hoppers. If they stay away, the public restrooms will be less crowded.

Now if a pool hopper messes up the pool, we will have a real problem! :fork:

:lol:

Upvote 0

dizzney

all joking aside for the moment, can anyone point to a time when pool hopping was a problem for them, and by that I don't mean that the pool chairs were all taken on a busy summer day. I mean that the chairs were taken by people who were known to be staying elsewhere and who were on site without permission, and because of the presence of these "pool hoppers," they could not enjoy their pool time?

Being a BWV DVC member, there have been a number of times when we have seen people come in clearly from the parks to the BW change in the bathrooms and use the BW pool and slide,

I honestly think that the BW's proximity to Epcot and MGM causes ths and maybe it needs to be restricted to guests like BC and YC were some years back for the same problem. Its said when you get down to the pool and theres no place to sit even and people have clearly stopped by from parks. They even ask how to get places and whats around to eat.

I pay for the privilage of being there and I resent it if other people pool hop

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom