Resort Pool Hopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk4444

What are the rules for resort pool hopping? I'm staying at Caribbean Beach in August and my kids wanted to know if we could use other resort pools. I realize that the Beach/Yacht Club pool is off limits but, are there any other No No's?

karenatwdw

All I have to say is there is never a right way to do the wrong thing and is it ok for our kids to do the wrong thing as long as you do not get caught. It is like some people say it is only against the law if you get caught good lesson for the kids when is the limit to high to do what is wrong.

Upvote 0

ABigBrassBand

All I have to say is there is never a right way to do the wrong thing and is it ok for our kids to do the wrong thing as long as you do not get caught. It is like some people say it is only against the law if you get caught good lesson for the kids when is the limit to high to do what is wrong.
Well it surely didn't seem like a wrong thing when I was a kid :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

kimmychad

And lots of people who think the rules don't apply to them - Which of the 2 is worse?

most people break a rule at some point during the day or week or whatever, some without even trying to get away with anything.
what gets me is when people start talking about how it's going to affect the children, like pool hopping is going to turn poor little johnny into a mass murderer or something.

Adults do alot of activities that kids see, and when they get older they can choose whats right for them. My grandfather smoked for a good portion of his life, and as I lived with my grandparents I was around it alot. When I became an adult I decided smoking wasn't for me. People nned to take responsibility for their own actions, not blame mommy or daddy because they do something dumb.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

most people break a rule at some point during the day or week or whatever, some without even trying to get away with anything.
what gets me is when people start talking about how it's going to affect the children, like pool hopping is going to turn poor little johnny into a mass murderer or something.

Adults do alot of activities that kids see, and when they get older they can choose whats right for them. My grandfather smoked for a good portion of his life, and as I lived with my grandparents I was around it alot. When I became an adult I decided smoking wasn't for me. People nned to take responsibility for their own actions, not blame mommy or daddy because they do something dumb.

Personally, I honestly don't care who pool hops. I barely use the pools at Disney. I just think it's a shame that people feel as though they can justify doing something that they clearly aren't supposed to do. My family loves the Wilderness Lodge. However, we're a family of 5 and only 4 are able to stay in a standard room. Could I fib and just say there are 4 of us? Of course. I don't though. Has nothing to do with my kids turning out to be a mass murderer. It has to do with the simple fact that I'm on private property and this is one of their rules.

As I said, I barely use the pools at Disney, but I still think it sucks that people would pool hop. Paint it whatever color you want, it's not right. Resort pools get extremely crowded. They don't need other guests there from other resorts.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Like I said, pool hopping is no different than smoking in the parks and resorts. You're not supposed to do it, but people for some reason have this mentality that rules simply don't apply to them. If they know they won't get caught doing something, screw it. I don't follow the rules for the benefit of my kids or because I'm a boy scout. I follow the rules because I want to be part of a civil society. And being a part of that society means following the rules whether I agree with them or not.

Upvote 0

DisneyDude

We stayed at The Poly for three weeks in August 09 and spent several afternoons by the pool in The Grand Flod, we heard several comments from Resort guests at The Grand wondering if certain people were infact guests at the resort. They seemed so stressed by the whole thing I thought how sad they were. There were plenty of beds and towels to go round, so what if they were guests from another resort? who cares? some people can't afford to stay in a Deluxe, let them have their moment.

Upvote 0

pax_65

I follow the rules because I want to be part of a civil society. And being a part of that society means following the rules whether I agree with them or not.

I agree. This was my point about "if everyone did it". The rules exist so that the system can work. Obviously if every resort guest in Disney World went to Stormalong Bay one afternoon, the system would break down. You aren't any different from me - the rules apply to all of us.

I won't waste energy looking for "evil pool-hoppers" on vacation, and as long as the pool isn't full and my family has chairs, I really don't care if you pool-hop at my pool - heck, I will even buy you a beer! But if they ask you for your resort ID and you get asked to leave the pool, I don't want to hear you complain. (I saw people get rejected at Stormalong Bay once, and BOY were they ed! LOL.)

I also think there is value in showing my kids the importance of being honest and having integrity. I have a friend who had her child lie about her age to get the "child" rate on a Disney pass (she was 10, parent said "If they ask, tell them you're 9!", the child got upset, saying, "But Mom, I'm not 9... I'm 10!").

Call me old-fashioned, call me fanatical, whatever... I just wouldn't ask my kids to lie to save a few bucks. I think that's pathetic and sad. In the same way, my kids are pretty aware... my son has already pointed out the signs that say "Pool is for guests of this resort only" when we're pool-hopping ("Dad, we're not guests of this resort!") and I've had to explain to him that as DVC members we're permitted to pool-hop.

I'm not perfect - and my kids know that too (my son also points out when I'm speeding LOL) but I want them to know that in general we're respectful of the rules and (even more importantly) considerate and respectful of other people. That's how I want my kids to grow up, and the kind of people I hope they will be.

Oh, and I'm not a boy scout. FAR FROM IT. :lol:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I agree. This was my point about "if everyone did it". The rules exist so that the system can work. Obviously if every resort guest in Disney World went to Stormalong Bay one afternoon, the system would break down. You aren't any different from me - the rules apply to all of us.

I won't waste energy looking for "evil pool-hoppers" on vacation, and as long as the pool isn't full and my family has chairs, I really don't care if you pool-hop at my pool - heck, I will even buy you a beer! But if they ask you for your resort ID and you get asked to leave the pool, I don't want to hear you complain. (I saw people get rejected at Stormalong Bay once, and BOY were they ed! LOL.)

I also think there is value in showing my kids the importance of being honest and having integrity. I have a friend who had her child lie about her age to get the "child" rate on a Disney pass (she was 10, parent said "If they ask, tell them you're 9!", the child got upset, saying, "But Mom, I'm not 9... I'm 10!").

Call me old-fashioned, call me fanatical, whatever... I just wouldn't ask my kids to lie to save a few bucks. I think that's pathetic and sad. In the same way, my kids are pretty aware... my son has already pointed out the signs that say "Pool is for guests of this resort only" when we're pool-hopping ("Dad, we're not guests of this resort!") and I've had to explain to him that as DVC members we're permitted to pool-hop.

I'm not perfect - and my kids know that too (my son also points out when I'm speeding LOL) but I want them to know that in general we're respectful of the rules and (even more importantly) considerate and respectful of other people. That's how I want my kids to grow up, and the kind of people I hope they will be.

That pretty much sums it up as good as can be.

Upvote 0

ABigBrassBand

Well then I guess my family are terrible examples, because back in the day we always pool-hopped, and we still lie about age to get cheaper train tickets etc.

I lied and said I was 16 when I'm 15 to get on the segways at EPCOT, is that bad?

Upvote 0

Scooter

I guess I always looked at it like this:

If I am staying at a Holiday Inn hotel, should I be able to hop in my car and drive to the Embassy Suites Hotel and swim in their pool? Of course not!

Upvote 0

kimmychad

I guess I always looked at it like this:

If I am staying at a Holiday Inn hotel, should I be able to hop in my car and drive to the Embassy Suites Hotel and swim in their pool? Of course not!

lol are you seriously comparing hotels that are owned by different companies?

amazing how all-inclusive resorts around the world can offer to let people use other resorts that they own. Its actually a selling point for them. Caesers in the poconos offers this, I've been there several times. somehow they never have a meltdown.
I'm actually thinking about going to the palace resorts in mexico because I can enjoy the other resorts in the area.

to say it's wrong to pool hop because it's against disneys rules is one thing, but it's done with great success at lots of other places, so it isn't a cardinal sin or something.

Upvote 0

karenatwdw

I don't think anybody thinks that someones kids will be come mass murders but I only meant what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong no matter how you spin it. Everyone knows you swim at the pool where you are staying you if you want to swim and stay at a nicer hotel then you save like we did so we can stay at the poly. No need to make a big deal I like showing my kids what is right and wrong and it never feels as good when you know when you are doing the wrong thing no matter how big or small.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well then I guess my family are terrible examples, because back in the day we always pool-hopped, and we still lie about age to get cheaper train tickets etc.

I lied and said I was 16 when I'm 15 to get on the segways at EPCOT, is that bad?

Yes, and I suggest that you never mention that again to prevent being eaten alive around here! :lol:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If you honestly don't know if that's wrong, then nothing anyone says here is going to make a lick of difference.

Upvote 0

pax_65

It's not my job to judge you... do whatever you think is right.

Just don't brag to me about how you paid less than I did, and don't complain to me if you ever get caught in a lie.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

to say it's wrong to pool hop because it's against disneys rules is one thing, but it's done with great success at lots of other places, so it isn't a cardinal sin or something.

I think they (as well as everyone else that think's it's wrong) is saying it's wrong because you're on Disney property and they say it's not allowed.

It's really sad how people are trying to make excuses and justify why they don't follow the rules.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom