Resort Merchandise diminishing?

Tori

Truth. I'm surprised at most of the fashion/designs for the in-park apparel. All of it seems more (wait for it) appropriate for Universal.

BOOM. Rival theme park slam.

I don't understand. Are you saying Mickey Mouse is appropriate for Universal? :veryconfu

flavious27

I don't understand. Are you saying Mickey Mouse is appropriate for Universal? :veryconfu

The merch that disney produces deserves in a second rate park, not wdw.

Maybe there's hope. It would make it easier with the new RFID system for CMs to explain to guests why their Pop Century mug doesn't work at POFQ.

You would think so...

Truth. I'm surprised at most of the fashion/designs for the in-park apparel. All of it seems more (wait for it) appropriate for Universal.

BOOM. Rival theme park slam.

I think that us fans could create better designs.

Duckberg

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything on the forums about this...

A friend of mine was just at Fort Wilderness a month ago and told me that she noticed the lack of individual resort merchandise. She stayed at Fort Wilderness, and was hoping to buy a sweatshirt and some other items. She told me she could not find anything with the resort name on it. She then asked a cast member why there was no fort wilderness merchandise. The cast member told her that Disney is slowly getting rid of individual resort merchandise because they want to become "one", whatever the heck that means. I was just at Ft. Wilderness two weeks ago, and I noticed the same thing. I really didn't look at the other resorts though. Is this true? Or is this just some silly cast member rumor?

Individuality is costing Disney $$$ in profit returns! :cool:

KaliSplash

This is just more of the generics save $$ approach. We can print 100,000 t-shirts and sell them at All the resort hotels, vs. printing 10,000 t-shirts for each specific hotel and sell them. Lower production costs, same charge for the shirts. Easier inventory management, etc.

Ditto Disney Parks, generic mugs, etc.

Disgusting but I don't know what it will take for them to change a policy that is lowering their production costs.

Cause you ARE going to buy that t-shirt anyway, aren't you? :) :) :)

puntagordabob

Actually unless it is something new and unique (even if it is a member of the Generic Disney Parks thingee) I will actually have to say NO I WONT.

Also...the shirts that have the current year on them? I avoid those like the plague....

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Goodness, I am always scoping out the gift store at the Wilderness Lodge for something that screams WL....have quite a few little things like frames and magnets, mug, totem pole note holder....but wishing for more tshirts sweatshirts....seems I only find those on ebay from some other year I missed...I mean that is the fun of loving your own particular resort....your special place IN a special place.....It rather bores me when I see uni-merchandise available everywhere. I love that my Splash Mountain shirt and globe CAME from the little store outside SM....IMO keep the generic WDW Mickey shirts abounding in the big Main Street Stores, but keep unique ride and resort things!!!!

I did rather like the look of the dole whip tiki shirt one poster made up.....it takes me to a specific happy spot....:king:

MMFanCipher

Actually unless it is something new and unique (even if it is a member of the Generic Disney Parks thingee) I will actually have to say NO I WONT.

Also...the shirts that have the current year on them? I avoid those like the plague....

We buy the shirts with the year on them, but we only go once every 5 years or so.

The Fort just got some folding chairs with the Fort logo on them for $60 to $80. Most people just want shirts, sweatshirts and some camping items with the fort logo. $80 for a folding chair seems a little high to me.

prberk

This is just more of the generics save $$ approach. We can print 100,000 t-shirts and sell them at All the resort hotels, vs. printing 10,000 t-shirts for each specific hotel and sell them. Lower production costs, same charge for the shirts. Easier inventory management, etc.

Disgusting but I don't know what it will take for them to change a policy that is lowering their production costs.

Not if I already bought (or rejected) it at the last store or on my last trip.

More variety = more purchases.

More purchases = more gross receipts.

More gross receipts = more profits (usually).

Even if the production cost savings raises the profit margin on merchandise at WDW, it cannot be enough to compensate for less sales overall of different merchandise, especially with Disney's high markup anyhow. And it certainly does not make up for people not buying the same merchandise that they got there yesterday or last year.

yankspy

Many of the resorts do have specific T-Shirts.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Many of the resorts do have specific T-Shirts.

They were definitely clearing out that inventory last week at the Poly. The resort specific shirts at the Poly were all marked down significantly, and one night, the clerk was throwing it all into boxes exclaiming, "Better get it now while it's still here!"

flavious27

Aren't the resort shirts the same price as the make a shirt stand in dtd.

yankspy

They were definitely clearing out that inventory last week at the Poly. The resort specific shirts at the Poly were all marked down significantly, and one night, the clerk was throwing it all into boxes exclaiming, "Better get it now while it's still here!"

Well if it is true that it is going away then that means less money I will spend. I have not bought a Mickey shirt in years.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
A CM at Wilderness Lodge told me to voice my opinion about the lack of resort specific merch each time I visit any resort shop. Of all the resort shops I've visited, it seems as though WL has the best selection of resort specific merch...some of the clothing, surprisingly, is very good quality. I always buy WL merchandise, hoping this will help the cause. I've also sent emails to higher-ups...who knows if they're actually reading any of it.

Tori

The merch that disney produces deserves in a second rate park, not wdw.

I don't see Universal as a second rate park. Atleast it has merchandise themed to just about everyone one of their attractions. It's nice walking in a store and not seeing the same stuff over and over again.

Kamikaze

Aren't the resort shirts the same price as the make a shirt stand in dtd.

Yes the shirts sell for the same price, but when they are having them printed, its cheaper to produce 100,000 of 1 design than 10,000 of 10 designs. How much cheaper? Probably not much. But they have to pay designers, graphic artists, etc as well so those costs add up.

Should it be an excuse? Of course not. But it probably means resort specific merchandise doesn't sell that well, because if it did, they would make more of it, not less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom