Resort Merchandise diminishing?

mayoki

I collect magnets from WDW and can affirm that this has been going on for many years now much to my dismay. And it's not just the resorts, There also used to be much much more merchandise for specific rides and areas of the parks. It's such a bummer that every store looks different on the outside but has all the exact same stuff on the inside...part of the fun used to be going in each shop and finding something different.

Regarding money and profit as a motivation for being generic, people are willing to pay more for unique and "collectible" merchandise. For example, I had an extra Contemporary Resort magnet that I sold on ebay for $30.

I had money burning a hole in my pocket a few weeks ago in WDW and a month ago in DL when I was there and spent less than $20 on souvenirs...there's just nothing unique or exciting about "Disney Parks" stuff.

AEfx

I collect magnets from WDW and can affirm that this has been going on for many years now much to my dismay. And it's not just the resorts, There also used to be much much more merchandise for specific rides and areas of the parks. It's such a bummer that every store looks different on the outside but has all the exact same stuff on the inside...part of the fun used to be going in each shop and finding something different.

Regarding money and profit as a motivation for being generic, people are willing to pay more for unique and "collectible" merchandise. For example, I had an extra Contemporary Resort magnet that I sold on ebay for $30.

I had money burning a hole in my pocket a few weeks ago in WDW and a month ago in DL when I was there and spent less than $20 on souvenirs...there's just nothing unique or exciting about "Disney Parks" stuff.

I pretty much agree with you - but the point is, most people don't think this way, or things wouldn't be how they are.

To counter the point of "discovering" new merchandise - I completely agree. Personally I find that a much preferable method - but on the other hand, I'm sure Disney has had tons of complaints over the years that some kid wanted something that they saw in a specific store, but the parents can't find it now, and "why does Disney make it so hard to buy stuff - I should be able to buy what I want anywhere".

Again, though, I agree - even as a kid, I never got people buying "generic" stuff at WDW. I want stuff that is unique, that can only be gotten at the parks, something that says the park/attraction I am visiting. I never got people that bought generic Disney stuff you can get at the mall, or even things like DVDs and such (that you can get much cheaper elsewhere).

Although on my last trip I want on a bit of a shopping spree (besides Star Wars weekends, I also bought a few bigger items that I had wanted for quite some time, like a Monorail set) for the most part I don't spend much at all anymore. I like the new notepads (the old fashioned E-ticket themed stuff is great) and some of that neat paraphernalia, and they do hit good points once in awhile, like the "new" retro Epcot shirts, but other than that most of the merch is severely lacking for me.

raiden

I'm a stockholder, I don't demand that.

Same here. I didn't buy stock in Disney to get rich. Sure I made a few bucks. Bought 100 shares at $26.xx and it's now at $38ish. I bought some to be able to vote on company issues, not to see my theme parks wal marted.

ECU_PIRATE

I understand the whole idea about saving money by having one general design for all the resorts but I find it interesting that almost every ride and attraction at any of the Disney parks still has specific merchandise. I guess we'd have to see actual figures as to how much more money Disney makes off attraction merchandise rather than resort merchandise but to me I feel like people are much more likely to buy a souvenir from the resort they stayed at rather than every ride they go on. Whats next a general shirt that says "I rode a ride at Disney World"?

As to whether or not sales of resort specific merchandise declined over the years I think definitely has to do with the quality of the product and designs. I love WDW and staying at Fort Wilderness but I'll be the first to admit that over the years some of the shirt designs were awful and I didn't spend a dollar on them.

Personally I'm going to miss seeing RV's driving around with Fort Wilderness spare tire covers. Even though I get jealous every time I see one driving south when I'm home.

erasure fan1

I left Disney with money burning in my pocket.

I wanted to spend, I had the money set aside. But I couldn't for the life of me find anything to spend it on. :shrug:

Its funny how we are debating how we can spend MORE money. Its usually a lot of complaining about wanting to spend less. :lol:

I pretty much agree with you - but the point is, most people don't think this way, or things wouldn't be how they are.

To play devils advocate, I would say that most of the people going to Disney are not like us on this site. They dont go to the world every year or even every other year. So if you shove all the same generic stuff in the customers faces, they really dont have any options. Take my sister, she went about a year ago and bought a couple shirts a couple mugs and picture frames... because she knows she wont be going back for a while. She wasnt going to take her son on his first trip to Disney and not get any souvenirs to remember it by. When she showed us the stuff it wasnt like "Oh man, isnt this the coolest shirt ever?!!!!!" It was this "Well this was the only shirt I really liked." I think most people do think the merchandise is "generic" but if you take a trip once every 5, 6 or 10yrs or once in a lifetime, you will most likely buy whatever is there.

drysdaleo

Long time reader/first time poster. I have been staying at WLV for the last couple of days and remembered seeing this discussion. Went straight to gift shop when we arrived and every single shirt there with the WL logo was marked 1/2 price. Asked CM what was up and she said they were going to change the WL logo and were getting all new shirts soon. Don't know if it is true, just wanted to share. I'm a 10 year DVC member and I told her I hope they do a better job on the WL logo than they did on the DVC logo. Still a lot of merch in the gift shop with the old DVC logo, and none of it marked down in price.

Long time reader/first time poster. I have been staying at WLV for the last couple of days and remembered seeing this discussion. Went straight to gift shop when we arrived and every single shirt there with the WL logo was marked 1/2 price. Asked CM what was up and she said they were going to change the WL logo and were getting all new shirts soon. Don't know if it is true, just wanted to share. I'm a 10 year DVC member and I told her I hope they do a better job on the WL logo than they did on the DVC logo. Still a lot of merch in the gift shop with the old DVC logo, and none of it marked down in price.

Welcome! Glad you decided to join.

On the topic of resort merch, I haven't seen much except for pins and a drawing of the Port Orleans resort (love that drawing.) I wanted to get something from the Yacht and Beach Club when I went there for dinner but sadly all they had was a pin but hopefully Disney will listen to it's customers and make more resort merch. Who knows maybe even some day we'll see the resort mugs again (though I highly doubt it.)

Biff215

Let's hope it is a logo change and not just the cutting back of resort merchandise we have been talking about here. Think about it, it is much easier for them to say "logo change" than "we are no longer offering resort specific merchandise."

I know this has been discussed for years, but I hadn't noticed it directly at the deluxe resorts we have stayed at until this past June at BC. I know the Marketplace was almost cut in half a few years back to add more food there, but the merchandise offered in general was still very disappointing. I couldn't find anything BC worth buying and very few DVC items, although they have always been lacking IMO.

I think someone above hit the nail on the head. We are not like the majority of WDW visitors who are on "once in a lifetime" trips or who only return every few years. We had friends come with us two years ago who fall into this category and they bought plenty of stuff throughout WDW. Since we typically go twice a year, I find myself saying more and more "it can wait until next trip."

It's a sad trend, but I wouldn't just blame the Disney Parks initiative. Disney knows what they're making the best profit on so it has to be a business decision.

puntagordabob

Also stayed at saratoga springs and the wife bought a watch that was resort specific and was of good quality. Iv'e also found that dvc resorts do have better mech than non dvc resorts.

Not at the Bay Lake Tower!!!

Curious...they have the Design-a-tee shirt at DTD.... why not add some really really awesome resort and attraction based designs (multiple designs!)..... then it would be "On Demand" and wouldnt cost them a darn Penny more than the other "custom" shirts they sell there....

Place a sign at every Resort gift shop perhaps with a teaser picture of that resort or attraction advertising the DTD store... cheap and easy....and yet it fills a depp chasm of a need.

WHY do they not think of this themselves?

prberk

The worst yet is at Disney's Hilton Head Resort, where the merchandise actually says "Walt Disney World" or "Disney Parks"... or at least that's the way it was a couple of years ago when I stayed there.

Anyhow, I cannot agree more with those who want more specific merchandise. And I know several people who have spent LESS money because they did not find anything different to buy at their hotel from what they had already seen at the parks.

How many copies of the same item can I buy (or reject)?

At the price of Disney souvenirs, it makes no sense whatsoever that they do not have more unique merchandise. And don't tell me that they would not make more money overall.

mp2bill

I always find it funny when you WANT to spend money at WDW but you can't.

I'd love to see more resort specific merch. The resorts have some really nice stores too - a few that come to mind are Coronado Springs, Wilderness Lodge and Poly.

Also with the new terrible DVC logo i'll have to go snatch up some old DVC logo merch before it's gone.

lol. would love to see more WL specific merch

flavious27

I have seen this years ago at other resorts. I really don't like it, I also don't like that the mugs are not resort oriented anyway.

puntagordabob

To counter the point of "discovering" new merchandise - I completely agree. Personally I find that a much preferable method - but on the other hand, I'm sure Disney has had tons of complaints over the years that some kid wanted something that they saw in a specific store, but the parents can't find it now, and "why does Disney make it so hard to buy stuff - I should be able to buy what I want anywhere". .

Thats what The World of Disney and if that is not big enough then add some market space within DTD somewhere to supplement... heck they could have "The Magic Kingdom shop", "The Animal Kingdom shop", etc etc and name them whatever thhey want you get the idea.... DTD can be...a catch all be all for the merchandise.... resort TV: "Didnt buy that special 'blah blah blah' at the park? NO PROBLEM hit Downtown Disney before you head on home....."

I heard this on another web site a few months ago but nothing since. I hope this is correct.

I also am hoping for the return of Resort specific merchandise!!!!! (Print us some refill mugs too lol!)

yankspy

I am not sure if I agree that they are diminishing. I would agree that from the late 90's til about five years ago tthey were but recently park and resort merchandise has been on the rise.

In recent trips I have picked up two Magic Kingdom mugs, two HM shirts, a Boardwalk Shirt, Poly shirt, Beach Club shirt and mug, Jungle Cruise shirt, retro Epcot shirt, etc...

However, I still think they need more.

flavious27

I am not sure if I agree that they are diminishing. I would agree that from the late 90's til about five years ago tthey were but recently park and resort merchandise has been on the rise.

In recent trips I have picked up two Magic Kingdom mugs, two HM shirts, a Boardwalk Shirt, Poly shirt, Beach Club shirt and mug, Jungle Cruise shirt, retro Epcot shirt, etc...

However, I still think they need more.

They need better merch, period.

TropicalFig8

I remember going to Pop Century in 2006 when they had their own hotel mugs. Then,when I went in 2010,I wanted to get another one but sadly they only had the Disney Parks mugs.

asianway

Not at the Bay Lake Tower!!!

Curious...they have the Design-a-tee shirt at DTD.... why not add some really really awesome resort and attraction based designs (multiple designs!)..... then it would be "On Demand" and wouldnt cost them a darn Penny more than the other "custom" shirts they sell there....

Place a sign at every Resort gift shop perhaps with a teaser picture of that resort or attraction advertising the DTD store... cheap and easy....and yet it fills a depp chasm of a need.

WHY do they not think of this themselves?

The Contemporary has never had more than one or two resort specific merchandise items since they opened. Weve been going since 1975 and until the 2000s, items were limited to a couple charms, jewelry box, the monorail character tshirt - heck, there was not even a pin until 1999. Poly, GF, and WL always had much more of an assortment. That BLT tshirt when they opened only lasted till around Christmas I recall.

Today, I bought a Polynesian Resort aloha short at Bou-tiki-never saw it before, so snapped it right up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom