Resort Merchandise diminishing?

djkidkaz

Retro/ vintage clothing is popular with folks like us. My wife has no interest in a horizons tshirt or one that says Epcot center. I would guarantee Disney sells way more clothing with the current year and a Mickey on it compared to the vintage stuff. Just for the record I prefer the vintage.

And as for resort specific merch, just bring back the mugs!!

Buried20KLeague

There is truth to this, somewhat. This whole issue was fought over quite a bit, and trust me in saying, the compromise is much much better than what was originally planned

( ayefour who still treasures his dixie landings merch from project launch )

Take no offense... But I don't know what to make of you just yet.

flavious27

It's just strange that nobody from TWDCo would notice. Surely there is evidence to prove that most of the clothing is in a sad state. Judging by the fact that there is so much of it, are we really to believe that not only do people buy it, but that A LOT of people do?

Well I think everyone gets atleast one shirt from disney when they visit, they need some kind of souvenir. That would be why the year shirts sell and why certain groups buy them. It is the same reason why we have attitude shirts in the parks and they make so many of them.

Retro/ vintage clothing is popular with folks like us. My wife has no interest in a horizons tshirt or one that says Epcot center. I would guarantee Disney sells way more clothing with the current year and a Mickey on it compared to the vintage stuff. Just for the record I prefer the vintage.

And as for resort specific merch, just bring back the mugs!!

I bet that disney sells alot of the generic shirts that we complain about because if they didn't, they wouldn't be producing them. Disney can sell these shirts because people want something they can wear when they get home to say that they were at disney.

I really don't care about most of the mickey shirts that they sell, they aren't that bad. With mickey shirts, the designers have more latitude with what they can pull off; the designers aren't hemmed in like how it seems that ever tink shirt is something with the person being a tease or a grumpy shirt is that person is grumpy. I know that these characters are typecasted into single qualifiers, but they have acted in different ways.

juniorthomas

Well I think everyone gets atleast one shirt from disney when they visit, they need some kind of souvenir. That would be why the year shirts sell and why certain groups buy them. It is the same reason why we have attitude shirts in the parks and they make so many of them.

I bet that disney sells alot of the generic shirts that we complain about because if they didn't, they wouldn't be producing them. Disney can sell these shirts because people want something they can wear when they get home to say that they were at disney.

I really don't care about most of the mickey shirts that they sell, they aren't that bad. With mickey shirts, the designers have more latitude with what they can pull off; the designers aren't hemmed in like how it seems that ever tink shirt is something with the person being a tease or a grumpy shirt is that person is grumpy. I know that these characters are typecasted into single qualifiers, but they have acted in different ways.

If I was in charge, I would control the shirt selection with an iron fist. Not that fashion is my thing, but come on - in a Disney Store, fashion is dead for the most part.

EvilQueen-T

i was just complaining about this very issue then saw a small glimmer of hope on disney's website. they had 3 new shirts that i thought were a little different and maybe a glimpse of hope for the future???? my sister and my daughter have this tradition of getting a turkey leg for breakfast one day during our trips and i had to laugh when i saw the turkey leg tshirt. that sort of thing.

flavious27

If I was in charge, I would control the shirt selection with an iron fist. Not that fashion is my thing, but come on - in a Disney Store, fashion is dead for the most part.

disney trying to look to latch onto whatever fashion trend will last for the summer is what they need to stop doing.

i was just complaining about this very issue then saw a small glimmer of hope on disney's website. they had 3 new shirts that i thought were a little different and maybe a glimpse of hope for the future???? my sister and my daughter have this tradition of getting a turkey leg for breakfast one day during our trips and i had to laugh when i saw the turkey leg tshirt. that sort of thing.

post them like it is hot.

wizards8507

Haven't really read the thread but the following specific merchandise was available at Old Key West from July 10-17:

3 men's t-shirts (one on clearance)
2 women's t-shirts (one on clearance)
1 Unisex hoodie
Two trading pins (one limited edition)
Pin trading/card holding lanyard
Mug
Travel mug
Cooler bag
2 keychains
2 or more magnets
Shot glasses
Ooodles of DVC merch

llrain

DVC resort merchandise was never diminished. They are their own niche cause they are DVC resorts.
Resort specific merchandise was removed from most of the non dvc resorts for like 2 years going now.

Haven't really read the thread but the following specific merchandise was available at Old Key West from July 10-17:

3 men's t-shirts (one on clearance)
2 women's t-shirts (one on clearance)
1 Unisex hoodie
Two trading pins (one limited edition)
Pin trading/card holding lanyard
Mug
Travel mug
Cooler bag
2 keychains
2 or more magnets
Shot glasses
Ooodles of DVC merch

juniorthomas

disney trying to look to latch onto whatever fashion trend will last for the summer is what they need to stop doing.

post them like it is hot.

So we wont be seeing obnoxiously bright colored hoodies with strange combinations of animal prints on them, a la every shop on the boardwalk in Ocean City?

cslafferty

When we were there last Aug. We stayed at POP, and there was some resort-specific merchandise. Frankly, I didn't notice much of a change in the clothing merchandise around the parks but I was very disappointed in the selection of "other" souvenir type merchandise. I have always brought back one or more (usually more) snow globes and a picture frame from each trip. Usually I have a very difficult time deciding which ones to get, but this last trip I had a hard time finding anything at all! :shrug:

Missymoe4

Possible Insight from a Recent Trip to WDW.

I returned this week from a 10 day trip to WDW. We stayed in the Polynesian and MOST of their resort specific merchandise was on clearance. I bought a ton of Polynesian note pads, note books, picture frames, picture books and other odds and ends that were all marked half off the original price. They did have some t shirts on clearance, but the sizes were super small. :(

I went over to the Wilderness Lodge one evening and saw the same clearance sales going on in their shop. The same in the Grand Floridian: the "live grand" logo merchandise was half off. Unfortunately, the Contemporary has rarely had any resort specific merchandise to begin with....

Anyhow, in each location I questioned the cm's and they all said the same thing: "The logo's are changing for the merchandise." So, perhaps this is occurring? Or, maybe they just want to get rid of some of the extra load they have?

I am a fan of resort specific merchandise and I greatly pray that it doesn't go away...and I hope that maybe it really is about a logo change.

EvilQueen-T

That Goofy shirt is ouch. I mean, I get the sentiment, but I'd never wear it. That shirt should only be allowed in childrens sizes.

i agree with that. i wouldn't either. i really miss the resort specific tshirts and refillable mugs. i like the tshirts that are ride specific. my granddaughters favorite and well worn t-shirt is a hideous tye-dyed t-shirt she got the first time she rode splash mountain aka her favorite ride. any time someone says anything about the shirt they get to sit through her recount of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom