News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s like the Imagineers wanted that Old World feel, but didn’t know how flower boxes, shutters, windows, or buildings actually work.

Is the upset that the shutters cover part of a wall that is not a window?

Because, once you put the flower boxes on, you presume the window goes all the way down. That's what the finished product looks like. That's what guests who did'nt follow the construction see. It looks like Parisian windows with flower boxes and shutters...

1602162077078.png

1602162119374.png

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Because, once you put the flower boxes on, you presume the window goes all the way down. That's the finished product looks like. That's what guests who did'nt follow the construction see. It looks like Parisian windows with flower boxes and shutters...

View attachment 503674

View attachment 503675

They won’t be satisfied unless once an hour a Parisian cast member scales a ladder up the terrible blue wall and demonstrates that the shutters can authentically open and close with a French accent

Disney Analyst

They won’t be satisfied unless once an hour a Parisian cast member scales a ladder up the terrible blue wall and demonstrates that the shutters can authentically open and close with a French accent

I expect a Parisian from the 17th century or 18th century to throw the contents of a chamber pot out one of those windows.

If this doesn’t happen, so help me Disney!!

_caleb

Because, once you put the flower boxes on, you presume the window goes all the way down. That's what the finished product looks like. That's what guests who did'nt follow the construction see. It looks like Parisian windows with flower boxes and shutters...

View attachment 503674

View attachment 503675
For the record, I'm not upset (I really like this addition to the France pavilion!), maybe just confused.

Yes, I think that's what looks odd/off to me. I get that the final result is meant to look like a full-length window (the bottom of the windows are at floor level), and that the "railing" sits in front of the window.

I know that these are just facades on a ride building and that they're not going for realism here, but even just at a glance, it seems off to me.

Maybe it's because the windows on the blue building don't have the appearance of the sort that can open, so my brain can't make sense of what's happening here. There's a small sliver of unthemed wall between the "window" and the "railing"- is this meant to look like the window is opened? If so, is that the height at which a sliding window would stop?

Maybe it's that a permanent flower box would typically sit below the bottom of the shutters (so the shutters can be closed without disturbing the flowers) or within the window setback (so that the flowers would be inside the shutters when closed). Otherwise, it's more like the image you included, where either the flower box is temporary or the shutters aren't used.

At a glance, it's hard for me to imagine where the floor of each level in the building is relative to the windows. The weird "windoor" may be the culprit here, where are we to imagine this opening leads to? A landing in a stairwell? Midway up the wall on a two-storey room? Also the relatively low "railing" height in each window makes it seem like the bottom of the railing should be at knee-height instead of level with the floor.

On the yellow building, if the blue shutters only extended down to the top of the flower boxes, I think it would make more sense to my eyes.

Again, I get that these are nitpicks. But with something like this (especially if they're trying to play with forced perspective), the small details kind of add up to an uncanny valley of believability.

Of course, all of this is my opinion and that it's all still a work in progress and that none of this matters in the grand scheme of things and I'm not trying to complain or shill for/agains Iger and I like Epcot and am happy we're getting something new!
Ratatouille_Full_38862.jpg

UNCgolf

For the record, I'm not upset (I really like this addition to the France pavilion!), maybe just confused.

Yes, I think that's what looks odd/off to me. I get that the final result is meant to look like a full-length window (the bottom of the windows are at floor level), and that the "railing" sits in front of the window.

I know that these are just facades on a ride building and that they're not going for realism here, but even just at a glance, it seems off to me.

Maybe it's because the windows on the blue building don't have the appearance of the sort that can open, so my brain can't make sense of what's happening here. There's a small sliver of unthemed wall between the "window" and the "railing"- is this meant to look like the window is opened? If so, is that the height at which a sliding window would stop?

Maybe it's that a permanent flower box would typically sit below the bottom of the shutters (so the shutters can be closed without disturbing the flowers) or within the window setback (so that the flowers would be inside the shutters when closed). Otherwise, it's more like the image you included, where either the flower box is temporary or the shutters aren't used.

At a glance, it's hard for me to imagine where the floor of each level in the building is relative to the windows. The weird "windoor" may be the culprit here, where are we to imagine this opening leads to? A landing in a stairwell? Midway up the wall on a two-storey room? Also the relatively low "railing" height in each window makes it seem like the bottom of the railing should be at knee-height instead of level with the floor.

On the yellow building, if the blue shutters only extended down to the top of the flower boxes, I think it would make more sense to my eyes.

Again, I get that these are nitpicks. But with something like this (especially if they're trying to play with forced perspective), the small details kind of add up to an uncanny valley of believability.

Of course, all of this is my opinion and that it's all still a work in progress and that none of this matters in the grand scheme of things and I'm not trying to complain or shill for/agains Iger and I like Epcot and am happy we're getting something new!
View attachment 503748

I think almost everything about the blue building is off for various reasons. It's just poorly designed.

With that said, I'm not sure how much it will matter when you're actually in the area. I have a feeling it's going to be the kind of the thing that is much easier to notice in photos like this (and from the Skyliner) than it will be when you're actually there. It's not a focal point and the perspective from the ground will be different.

CraftyFox

I think almost everything about the blue building is off for various reasons. It's just poorly designed.

With that said, I'm not sure how much it will matter when you're actually in the area. I have a feeling it's going to be the kind of the thing that is much easier to notice in photos like this (and from the Skyliner) than it will be when you're actually there. It's not a focal point and the perspective from the ground will be different.
You’re right on the mark here. It’s really easy to notice these weird or unusual design choices in a still photo but in person? From the ground? Surrounded by people? This reminds me of the time they added that weird off-center window in NOS. I don’t think I’ve ever naturally noticed it without purposefully looking for it, despite the fact that it’s in a major thoroughfare.

brihow

Looks like the signs are hand-painted, similar to the marque sign for the entrance to the expansion area. Cute and nice! Little touches like this make a big difference for sure.
Agree, I wish we would get a more old-fashioned looking Marquee sign for the actual ride. The Paris version looks like a new piece of shiny plastic....which it is.

Prototype82

Justifiable questions! The problem is that they're placing back-stage fabrications that were designed to be seen only from across the water(if at all) onto the guest's stage. In the concept art, it looks like the entire IdF show building was going to get a new facade with more detail and architectural sense. To save money, they added paint, texture, and flower boxes in an attempt to hide this instead. So there's no real logical answer to these design choices because they were never meant to be seen up close. I think shorter shutters that stopped right above the new flower boxes could've helped them make more sense.

_caleb

Justifiable questions! The problem is that they're placing back-stage fabrications that were designed to be seen only from across the water(if at all) onto the guest's stage. In the concept art, it looks like the entire IdF show building was going to get a new facade with more detail and architectural sense. To save money, they added paint, texture, and flower boxes in an attempt to hide this instead. So there's no real logical answer to these design choices because they were never meant to be seen up close. I think shorter shutters that stopped right above the new flower boxes could've helped them make more sense.
Thanks. Yeah, I truly wasn't trying to be nitpicky, more just trying to sort out why it just feels "off" to me. I think you're right- there is some translation from this being a backstage area to onstage that may be to blame. I'm sure it'll look fine in person from the expected vantage points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom