News Reimagined Toontown coming

TP2000

I particularly liked this photo of a Toontown CM just before park opening this past Saturday.

He's dreaming of a better shift, somewhere else.

photos-videos-tour-the-reimagined-mickeys-toontown-at-disneyland-9.jpeg

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I think we were all expecting an artificial tree similar to Tarzan's treehouse tree. This one looks like the same species of tree that stood in the Pirates queue and outside of Indiana Jones. I'm surprised they didn't plan three or four of these in that area. You see these everywhere at Disneyland.

How come they couldn't just copy this one?
iu
I totally agree. Would’ve been perfect!

Suspirian

That kind of tree would never have those kind of roots. I've never seen a tree that had roots wider in circumference than the trunk.

I mean sure but it's a land about cartoons I don't think realism is the goal. If anything the whole tree should've been fake tbh. I think this will be cute when it grows though.

Phroobar

I mean sure but it's a land about cartoons I don't think realism is the goal. If anything the whole tree should've been fake tbh. I think this will be cute when it grows though.
It is just an expansion pad anyway. The only reason it is there is for additional queue space and Disney cheeping out on building a new structure.

SuddenStorm

I particularly liked this photo of a Toontown CM just before park opening this past Saturday.

He's dreaming of a better shift, somewhere else.

photos-videos-tour-the-reimagined-mickeys-toontown-at-disneyland-9.jpeg

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about those CM costumes- they're gaudy and cheap versions of everyday clothes. There's probably 100 dads wearing those exact shoes in the park. And the material looks flimsy and artificial.

I'm not expecting Italian wool or anything here, and if one compares the Haunted Mansion costumes from say the '80s to now it is apparent that the material is cheaper in the modern iterations- but these Toontown ones just look bad.

PiratesMansion

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about those CM costumes- they're gaudy and cheap versions of everyday clothes. There's probably 100 dads wearing those exact shoes in the park. And the material looks flimsy and artificial.

I'm not expecting Italian wool or anything here, and if one compares the Haunted Mansion costumes from say the '80s to now it is apparent that the material is cheaper in the modern iterations- but these Toontown ones just look bad.
Flip the colors and make the pants shorts, and you're looking at the standard ride op uniform at Cedar Point and other Cedar Fair-run parks (can't remember offhand if Knott's uses the standard Cedar Fair uniforms or not).

It feels very lazy to me.

TP2000

I like a lot of what I've seen of the redone ToonTown, but the Dreaming Tree or whatever is just hilariously bad. It reads like something they planned out and then forgot about, and as it got close to the opening they had to scramble and ended up with this.

Agreed.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the conference room for the Emergency Party Lantern Meeting. Those lanterns were obviously a very late add, as the concept art and models never showed any party lanterns in the tree. And the pablum the PR team belched out a year ago regarding Walt Disney circa 1910 having his creative genesis story under that tree never mentioned party lanterns.

Like San Fransokyo Square in DCA, if you can't have an actual thing, just hang party lanterns on the thing you've got and call it Immersive!

Figments Friend

Yes! Not only do I remember it, but I remember when Michael Eisner said publicly there would be a Dick Tracy dark ride built at Disneyland.

EDIT: Um... so we can now type Dick Tracy on this site? Can we also now type the name of Disney Legend, Dick Nunis?

EDIT 2: Oh my gosh! The naughty word software got fixed! We don't have to call him Richard Nunis any longer! Hooray for maturity! 🥳

Hooray!
We can now FINALLY talk about Dick Van D. after all these years!
Bert from ‘Mary Poppins’…you know, that guy!
Hurrah!

😃

Oh wait…
( looks above…)

Scratch that, the last part of his name is still ‘censored’ I see…
Dick, we still remember ya.
Someday, we will be able to type out your entire name.
😉

-

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hooray!
We can now FINALLY talk about Dick Van D. after all these years!
Bert from ‘Mary Poppins’…you know, that guy!
Hurrah!

😃

Oh wait…
( looks above…)

Scratch that, the last part of his name is still ‘censored’ I see…
Dick, we still remember ya.
Someday, we will be able to type out your entire name.
😉

-
Some other words were also de-censored. But 'Dyke' is still censored and cannot be used by anyone.

DrAlice

My hot take (from watching videos) 🤣 :

Those costumes are terrible. When I see a cast member in the crowd, my immediate thought is "woah.. what's that guy wearing?". Only after staring for a few seconds do I realize it is a cast member. I'm not sure what they were going for with those outfits, but I doubt it was that.

TP2000

My hot take (from watching videos) 🤣 :

Those costumes are terrible. When I see a cast member in the crowd, my immediate thought is "woah.. what's that guy wearing?". Only after staring for a few seconds do I realize it is a cast member. I'm not sure what they were going for with those outfits, but I doubt it was that.

I don't know. My real fear is that is actually what they were going for. They did it on purpose and that's actually what the CM costumes are supposed to look like. And how scary is that to consider this was all on purpose?!?

But there's just something off about these new uniforms. I have absolutely no idea how this themes to Toontown, or Disney's classic cartoon characters in general. I don't even know what these uniforms theme to, but it's certainly not Mickey's Toontown.

In the group photo below, the inseam on nearly everyone's green trousers is horribly sized, so that doesn't help them. There's a few cute costume pieces or CM's trying to pull it off, but overall it's a look that just seems sloppy and weird and not an attractive at all. But, um... at least there's a cute reference to the short-lived Tomorrowland Viewliner in the souvenir shop's sign! 😬

disneyland-cast-members-toontown-costumes-1024x768.png

And, trying to be as positive as possible, at least the uniforms for MMRR CM's are entirely different and rather fetching! I noticed in the videos that the CM's working the theater pre-show area wear the yellow ushers vests, but the CM's working in the train station load/unload area wear the purple conductor's outfits. Clever! And classic Disneyland attention to detail!

h3802heu29huh2uoe1hj.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom